Firespray + Slave 1 + Seasoned Navigator

By mario106, in X-Wing Rules Questions

Does this combo work for the firesprays?

You reveal a 1 straight. Then you change it to a red 1 hard to the left and finally change it with slave 1 to 1 hard right. Does it work ? If yes then will be the 1 hard to the right red or white ? latest?cb=20180915003026 latest?cb=20180914171115

My inclination is to say that you cannot use Slave 1 to alter the maneuver altered by the Seasoned Navigator, as Slave 1 specifically says "after you reveal a turn or bank" which has not happened. You revealed a straight maneuver but then altered it to a turn or bank.

For this combo to work, Slave 1 would need to say "before you execute a turn or bank maneuver" instead of the reveal text.

1 hour ago, 5050Saint said:

My inclination is to say that you cannot use Slave 1 to alter the maneuver altered by the Seasoned Navigator, as Slave 1 specifically says "after you reveal a turn or bank" which has not happened. You revealed a straight maneuver but then altered it to a turn or bank.

For this combo to work, Slave 1 would need to say "before you execute a turn or bank maneuver" instead of the reveal text.

I agree with this interpretation.

@mario106 Even though we have this on Seasoned Navigator regarding what becomes the revealed maneuver I think you've missed the chance to add Slave 1 to the ability Queue by revealing the straight maneuver.

Q: When an effect (such as Seasoned Navigator) instructs a ship to set its dial to a different maneuver "after you reveal your dial," is the ship's revealed maneuver the one that was on the dial when it was revealed or the new maneuver to which it is set?

A: The ship's revealed maneuver is the one to which its dial is physically set. If an effect such as Seasoned Navigator physically sets the dial to a new maneuver, the new maneuver is the ship's revealed maneuver. If multiple effects set the dial, the revealed maneuver is the final maneuver on the dial after all effects that set it have been resolved.

• If an ability’s requirements are not met, it cannot be added to the ability queue. For example, at the start of the Engagement Phase, if a ship has an ability that requires it to be tractored, but that ship is not tractored, that ability cannot be added to the queue. The ship cannot add the ability to the queue even if another ability also added to the queue at the start of the Engagement Phase would cause that ship to become tractored upon its resolution.

I would say though that you could reveal a turn and add both abilities to the queue. I am not sure if Slave 1 in tandem with Seasoned Navigator where possible let's you bypass the increase difficulty effect of using Seasoned Navigator. I am not aware of a specific ruling with regards that.

Capture.png
Capture.png

the key being slave 1 only triggers after you reveal a turn or bank maneuver. if you reveal a straight maneuver, it doesn't matter what you set it to with seasoned navigator after that, you never revealed a turn or bank maneuver. what your revealed maneuver is set to by other effects has no impact on that. slave 1 will only ever change your maneuver from the bank or turn you revealed to the same bank or turn in the other direction.

i mean, you could technically reveal a two hard, set it to a two straight or two bank with seasoned navigator, but when slave 1 resolves, it will always set the maneuver to a two hard in the opposite direction of the one you revealed. resolving slave 1 before seasoned navigator is also possible, but there is really no point in doing that what so ever.

Guy you know this has been directly answered in rules ref, so you can’t trigger slave I by altering maneuver with Seasoned and maneuver that is being executed is always red (seasoned difficulty up is always triggered last):

Q: How do abilities that alter the speed, difficulty, and/or bearing of a maneuver that a ship reveals during its Reveal Dial step and executes during its Execute Maneuver step resolve? For example, if Hera Syndulla [Attack Shuttle]

is equipped with R4 Astromech and Seasoned Navigator, and also has the Damaged Engine Damage Card, what happens?

A: R4 Astromech and Damaged Engine (and other effects that alter the difficulty of a maneuver, such as Nien Nunb [ 󲁒 ], L3-37's Programming, and Leia Organa [Rebel and Resistance 󲁒 ]) apply only during the Execute Maneuver step, for effects that trigger "before a ship executes a maneuver" (e.g. BB Astromech), and for effects that trigger "after that ship executes a maneuver" (e.g. Elusive).

So, after Hera's dial is revealed, Hera's player may add Hera's pilot ability and Seasoned Navigator's ability to the ability queue in either order.

Both abilities resolve, and if Seasoned Navigator's ability is resolved, the difficulty of the maneuver is increased during the Execute Maneuver step (i.e. the difficulty has not yet been increased when Hera's pilot ability is resolved).

Then, during the Execute Maneuver step, all abilities that alter the difficulty of the maneuver are cumulative as normal.

Note that abilities that alter a maneuver without causing the ship to select a new maneuver on its dial do not affect the ship's "revealed maneuver" as referenced by abilities such as Ric Olié's pilot ability.

I think the question has been perfectly answered above, and...

Just let me say that the 1st point comes to my mind is - why don't you reset the dial from the blue speed-1 straight to the red speed-1 turn-right simply by the Seasoned Navigator?

To upgrade with both Slave I and Seasoned Navigator is inefficient from the very beginning.

3 hours ago, muzhyou said:

Just let me say that the 1st point comes to my mind is - why don't you reset the dial from the blue speed-1 straight to the red speed-1 turn-right simply by the Seasoned Navigator?

To upgrade with both Slave I and Seasoned Navigator is inefficient from the very beginning.

They were trying to turn a straight blue maneuver into a white hard instead of a red hard.

Straight blue get Seasoned Nav'd to a red hard, but then Slave 1 would swap to the opposite hard turn, that would not have had it's difficulty increased. It's convoluted, but it checks out for as much effort as I'm willing to put into a combo we know breaks down before the Slave 1 can trigger.

16 hours ago, 5050Saint said:

They were trying to turn a straight blue maneuver into a white hard instead of a red hard.

Straight blue get Seasoned Nav'd to a red hard, but then Slave 1 would swap to the opposite hard turn, that would not have had it's difficulty increased. It's convoluted, but it checks out for as much effort as I'm willing to put into a combo we know breaks down before the Slave 1 can trigger.

FAQ quote shows that Seasoned Nav difficulty up triggers last, so Slave wouldn't make it white. After Slave I change it would go up to red.

all difficulty changing effects are cumulative. also, slave 1 doesn't trigger unless you reveal a bank or turn maneuver, no matter what you change your maneuver to with seasoned navigator.