New Shugenja School Abilities Balance

By FelixFenix, in Houserules

I’m trying to create a Shugenja School that deals with cultists, mahō tsukais, rogue shugenjas and thought about two possible School Abilities. The first one is based on the Kuni Warden tech but adapted to invocations:

Stealing the Air* (School Ability): When you perform an invocation that targets at least one other character, you may spend 🌸 as follows:

🌸 +: One target character per 🌸 spent this way suffers the Silenced condition. You can spend a maximum number of 🌸 this way up to your school rank.

Where 🌸 symbolizes Opportunity

*Place Holder for the name

The second one is based on a Shugenja School Ability from Path of Waves:

Cleansing the Wretched (School Ability): When you make a check for an action that uses the Smite keyword, you may choose a number of your rolled dice up to your school rank containing 🔥 symbols and reroll them.

Where 🔥 symbolizes Strife

Which one is more balanced?

Stealing the Air might become overpowered real quick.

Thanks Diogo, I will use the second one instead. 👍

5 hours ago, Diogo Salazar said:

Stealing the Air might become overpowered real quick.

I don't think it's too bad as an idea - Silencing someone is a nice effect and it's a good school ability for 'dominating' a magical battle.

The problem - and why I agree with @Diogo Salazar as written - is that one 1211841275_OpportunitySmall.png.acf41343 result is way too 'cheap' for an effect that powerful.

I suggest maybe plagiarising the Maho Technique Grip of Anguish ?

"Water 1211841275_OpportunitySmall.png.acf41343 : One target must resist with a TN 3 Fitness check (Earth 1, Fire 4) or suffer one of the following conditions of your choice: Dazed, Disoriented, Silenced ."

Spending 1211841275_OpportunitySmall.png.acf41343 to sic someone with Silenced automatically is too good. Spending 1211841275_OpportunitySmall.png.acf41343 to force them to make a resist check is more balanced.

Therefore, my suggestion:

Stealing the Air (School Ability): When you perform an invocation that targets at least one other character, you may spend 1211841275_OpportunitySmall.png.acf41343 as follows:

1211841275_OpportunitySmall.png.acf41343 : One target character must resist with a Fitness check or suffer the Silenced condition. The TN of this check is equal to your school rank.

Well, it is extremely powerful when you reach higher ranks but at least it only targets a single character.

2 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

I don't think it's too bad as an idea - Silencing someone is a nice effect and it's a good school ability for 'dominating' a magical battle.

The problem - and why I agree with @Diogo Salazar as written - is that one 1211841275_OpportunitySmall.png.acf41343 result is way too 'cheap' for an effect that powerful.

I suggest maybe plagiarising the Maho Technique Grip of Anguish ?

"Water 1211841275_OpportunitySmall.png.acf41343 : One target must resist with a TN 3 Fitness check (Earth 1, Fire 4) or suffer one of the following conditions of your choice: Dazed, Disoriented, Silenced ."

Spending 1211841275_OpportunitySmall.png.acf41343 to sic someone with Silenced automatically is too good. Spending 1211841275_OpportunitySmall.png.acf41343 to force them to make a resist check is more balanced.

Therefore, my suggestion:

Stealing the Air (School Ability): When you perform an invocation that targets at least one other character, you may spend 1211841275_OpportunitySmall.png.acf41343 as follows:

1211841275_OpportunitySmall.png.acf41343 : One target character must resist with a Fitness check or suffer the Silenced condition. The TN of this check is equal to your school rank.

This is really nice Magnus Grendel, thank you. I like it very much.

Thank you both for taking your time and helping me out.