My Heroes Pack - DOTA Special Edition (Total 13 Heroes from DotA)

By Wanderer999, in Descent Home Brews

DOTA player here :) Nice start on some of these DOTA hero conversions to Descent.

A few thoughts on some of these heroes.

Pudge

Mabye rename to 'Pudge the Butcher'.

Hero Ability: At the start of his turn, Pudge the Butcher may target any medium sized figure within line of sight with his Meat Hook. That figure is moved to a space adjacent to Pudge. The adjacent space cannot contain another figure or an obstacle that blocks movement.

Overpowered Version:
Rot: Pudge has the Aura 4 ability.
Flesh Heap: +3 Armor vs Magic.

Insane Version:
Dismember: Pudge may make one Melee attack against the target of his Meat Hook after it has been mov . For every 1 wound to the target, place 1 bleed token next to the target figure and Pudge is healed of 1 wound.

(the bleed tokens simulate the channeling /eating effect in DOTA .)

I think that limiting the target to medium size will save alot of confusion and alot of text with the new placement of the target. I don't think limiting it to unnamed monsters is necessary and the ability description is alot cleaner without it. Also, I believe this ability would be terribly broken against expensive large monsters and bosses.

Adding line of sight to the target removes any questions about valid targets. There are already too many existing questions about the use of the words 'straight line', just remove this completely. I understand what you were going for, but its easier to just declare it must be in line of sight. For anyone who hasnt played DOTA, pudge can use his meat hook to shoot through trees, obstacles and walls. This doesn't convert well to descent.

Finally, I don't understand why u specify u cannot pull through walls, doors or obstacles. I doubt anyone thought that you could.

Btw, I love the pictures on these DOTA hero cards. They are spot on for each hero.

Tiny the Stone Giant

Hero Ability:
At the start of his turn, Tiny may target any medium sized adjacent figure to Toss. He may move the target figure up to five spaces away from its current location ignoring line of sight. The figure cannot be moved to a space that contains another figure or obstacle that blocks movement.
Figures adjacent to this space lose 1 red and 1 green dice of wounds. The target figure loses half this amount rounded down.

Overpowered version:
Craggy Exterior: +2 Armor
After a figure inflicts at least 1 damage (before applying the effects of armor) to a Tiny, place a stun token next to that figure.

Insane version:
Growl: When making melee attacks, Tiny gains +2 damage.
War Club: Tiny has the Reach ability.

You cant make tiny and not give him toss! This is his defining ability.

As with Pudge i figured limiting the action to At the start of his turn removes the need to require movement for fatigue points. This seems like a fair way to balance this ability. Also, if you needed to spend all those points to use these abilities, you wouldn't have much left for movement anyhow.

Also as with pudge, by limiting the size of the target you save alot of confusion and alot of text with the new placement of the target. I basically copied the description for knockback and modified to fit the Toss ability. An even simpler way to create this effect would be to give Tiny Knockback with the added ability ~: +1 Space of Knockback. Would require a better description for thrown target AoE damage.

P.S. The Overpowered and Insane versions that I listed are just for fun and theme. No to be taken seriously :)

Thank you for your kind words :)

I did put in alot of effort for all the characters I made.

And yes, I know what u mean when there are so many great defining abilities to bring over. Alas, I felt that some of the moves were either too complex or too strong to port over easily - eg. Tiny's Toss is really complicated in actual Descent gameplay and u will need to be rolling dice all the time and rounding it down with maths. (Not to mention overpowered since its a powerful area damage with good range)

Dave99 said:

Finally, I don't understand why u specify u cannot pull through walls, doors or obstacles. I doubt anyone thought that you could.

Believe me, the community of Descent on this forum is VERY picky on how u write ur rules. U need to state certain stuff specifically.

<3 Dota :)

I think tiny's throw works well in the description I wrote. Although the damage is too high, mabye 1 green dice ignoring armor, the target of the throw could take 1 damage ignoring armor. Thats only 1 extra dice roll per turn, no subtracting for armor, no rounding down. Consider the fact that One Fist can make a Red-Green-Black-Black attack every turn regardless of his normal action, I dont think adding damage to his throw is unreasonable.

I know rules must be specific, but im positive only DOTA players considered whether or not pudge could pull figures through walls and such. But as I said earlier, just make it a line of sight attack and u will save yourself alot of explaining.

The meat hook description right now allows him to target any figure within 6 spaces, as you know in DOTA it snags the first target it hits, you cant shoot over other units. Once again i think "line of sight" is your friend here. Also as ive said, it removes the 'straight line' issue.