Infector Build

By ComtriS, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

I was wondering if anybody else has had any luck getting an Infector build to work well? I've never gotten it to work the way I wanted it to, and I've heard that it's supposed to be good. What's the best build you've come across?

The infector overlord deck has not so much solutions to be powerfull

You have to go 2 of either Contaminated, Airborne, and adaptative contagion, using as much as possible shooting monsters without native surge abilities. Airborne is still the best since you only have to fire from afar, missing, and deal 1 infection token on the target, but using Dark minotaurs and adaptative contagion is still the best, since at the end of their turn, they will give Disease to all heroes within 3 spaces and you can change that to infection tokens with adaptative contagion

Then, go for Outbreak, and when a hero with few health and many infection tokens starts his turn, you force him to do a might test, and then, loosing his turn. Impressive. You can use Basic 2 to assure you that the hero misses, and with luck, you can defeat another one in the same instance.

To be sure to have your cards as soon as possible, go Magus with Dark rituals to search your cards and place them as soon as possible.

Dark Host is great too, but only if all heroes have good might value.

If they don't, add some web traps, and their journey will go a nightmare !

Rugal's tips are great. Just to emphasize them a little more, I believe Airborne is the primary engine of the entire Infector deck. The fact that it can transform every single monster attack into something useful regardless of how far away the target is, or how much armor they have, or how poor your luck is on dice rolls cannot be overstated. It is kind of broken. Even when you aren't building around it, it makes rolling the dreaded X never a waste.

If Airborne is the engine, Outbreak is the big payoff. On any map where you can set up a Ranged monster group to safely spend a few turns within line of sight on the heroes, but well out of reach, it is trivial to get a large number of Infector tokens on them. This is even easier on quests with more than one encounter, as Infection tokens carry over. If you focus on a hero with low Might , and follow up with an Onslaught empowered by a card like Befuddle to ensure the skill test fails, you can basically one-shot any Hero you want, when you want, on THEIR turn, which is the worst possible time for them, because they lose their turn completely even if they're revived by another hero right after. This is a very nice answer to something like an Act 1 otherwise unkillable Mage like Ravaella wearing Runeplate .

The Magus deck and other deck manipulation cards like Upgrade and Refresh will help you ensure you always have your Airborne out as soon as possible.

Dark Host and the other Infector cards are the icing on the cake, but focus on Airborne and Outbreak, imo.

Edited by Charmy

In other hand, Contaminated can be the primary engine of the deck, because have + 1 [heart] on attack can be the real deal you need. On first encounter, place as much tokens as you can, and then do savage strikes adding all the cumulated damages to put down heroes;

Donc forget that, when perform a fire breath, for example, you can discard 1 infection tokens from the target to add + 1 for the whole attack (but no more since there is only 1 target)

The nice thing is that you'll likely be taking both Contaminated and Airborne anyway on your path to Outbreak . 😎

Loving the Infector discussion, popping in with another synergy which might sound obvious- the Bol'Goreth plot deck Raging Infection is pretty great with Infector. It really adds opportunities to Poison and Disease heroes, and that works really well with Adaptive Contagion.

5 hours ago, Zaltyre said:

Loving the Infector discussion, popping in with another synergy which might sound obvious- the Bol'Goreth plot deck Raging Infection is pretty great with Infector. It really adds opportunities to Poison and Disease heroes, and that works really well with Adaptive Contagion.

Bol'Goreth's plot deck is only playable with Infector deck. In all other options, it is by far the worst plot deck ever !

Yeah, it's not amazing otherwise- just pointing out it might be a way for OP to help get an Infector build to work well.

Off topic, my group never liked plot decks because they seemed a bit too powerful- so Bol'goreth is kind of the perfect "minimal" plot deck (unless you're playing infector).

34 minutes ago, Zaltyre said:

Off topic, my group never liked plot decks because they seemed a bit too powerful- so Bol'goreth is kind of the perfect "minimal" plot deck (unless you're playing infector).

Really ?
In my game experience, most of Plot deck are weak, and you rarelly play more than 2 or 3 cards among it all.