odd ball and the ion limiter override

By meffo, in X-Wing Rules Questions

so, i just read the v-wing preview. it can be found here: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2020/10/15/stay-sharp/

swz80_ship_odd-ball.png

swz80_upgrade_ion-limiter-override.png
Capture.png

they mention using ion limiter override with odd ball, which doesn't seem to work as far as i can tell. odd ball's ability has an ability's requirement. it reads:
"after you fully execute a red maneuver or perform a red action, if there is an enemy ship in you (bullseye), you may acquire a lock on that ship"

ion limiter override has no ability's requirement, but will trigger after you perform a red maneuver. according to the FAQ entry on ability's requirements found on page 32 of the RR, odd ball would not get to barrel roll after fully executing a red maneuver in order to line up his bullseye arc and acquire a lock. he would need to have that bullseye lined up after executing the maneuver in order for his ability to trigger and enter the queue. of course he could always barrel roll, but he wouldn't get a lock.

Capture.png

it's not like it's the first time preview articles have goofed up the rules to build hype. also, they don't actually state that odd ball's ability would work, it's just implied. just wanting to verify my interpretation. am i right about this?

other then that, thermal detonators look like they can be fun.

27 minutes ago, meffo said:

it's not like it's the first time preview articles have goofed up the rules to build hype.

This pretty much sums it up. I'm fairly certain the people who write up the articles, are not the same people who make the mechanics or the rules. They probably just glance over the ability's and think they work together. The articles are not rules binding by any stretch so i wouldn't worry too much about it.

1 hour ago, meffo said:

other then that, thermal detonators look like they can be fun.

TIE/Sa Bombers and maybe Emmon will love it. Sol Sixxa could get some use out of it.

1 hour ago, meffo said:

also, they don't actually state that odd ball's ability would work, it's just implied. just wanting to verify my interpretation. am i right about this?

As the ships native barrel roll action is red, wouldn’t the barrel roll off the ion limiter be red and thus trigger the ship ability - although leaving him double stressed in the process?

1 hour ago, DexterOnone said:

As the ships native barrel roll action is red, wouldn’t the barrel roll off the ion limiter be red and thus trigger the ship ability - although leaving him double stressed in the process?

nope.
Capture.png

Maybe I am reading it wrong, but wouldn't it work if you executed a red maneuver, acquired a lock, then barrel rolled? I agree you can't do it the other way (RAW).

2 minutes ago, Wolfshead said:

Maybe I am reading it wrong, but wouldn't it work if you executed a red maneuver, acquired a lock, then barrel rolled? I agree you can't do it the other way (RAW).

of course, but that would require you to have a ship in bullseye before rolling, otherwise you wouldn't be able to acquire a lock. thus, the line of text about ion limiter override being useful to oddball by allowing him to line up a ship in bullseye after executing a red maneuver doesn't really make sense.

20 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

TIE/Sa Bombers and maybe Emmon will love it. Sol Sixxa could get some use out of it.

I'm looking forward to trying it with Emon. He's the reason i like flying Firesprays :)

So question here:

Isn't this the same/similar interaction as say Kanan/Kor Sella or Republic Chopper (Erratic) and Fine Tuned Controls on the Jedi???

They both trigger on “AYFC a maneuver...”

So, couldn’t oddball execute a red then decide which order to resolve the abilities? Allowing him to roll first then check his bullseye?

Doesn’t that fall under the choosing a ship exception?

Or is that not how it works?

Edited by JBFancourt
3 hours ago, JBFancourt said:

That makes me want to turn AYFCAM into a slogan shouted by... I dunno, a Jawa or something. Like the AFLAC duck. Rhymes with "SAFE-jam."

5 hours ago, JBFancourt said:

So question here:

Isn't this the same/similar interaction as say Kanan/Kor Sella or Republic Chopper (Erratic) and Fine Tuned Controls on the Jedi???

So, couldn’t oddball execute a red then decide which order to resolve the abilities? Allowing him to roll first then check his bullseye?

Doesn’t that fall under the choosing a ship exception?

Or is that not how it works?

that would be how it worked, except odd ball has an ability's requirement, since he states "after [...], if there is an enemy ship [...]", so his ability cannot enter the queue if the requirement is not fulfilled at that moment. this is much like nien nunb (t70) and anakin skywalker (aethersprite).