Vassal Family Project 1: New Crab Clan Families

By TheHobgoblyn, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Roleplaying Game

Please comment and critique . I would like to make these as favorable to the playerbase as possible. If you feel any of these should have gotten different bonuses or if my description is too lacking, I am happy to change the details. Feedback on this will also obviously be taken into account when I work on the future clans. Also, if you have created a vassal family for the crab of your own that you would like to add to this project, I would be happy to add it to the list.

The purpose of this project is to add additional lore-friendly families to every Great Clan. These are all vassal families that serve the main families of the Great Clans. The family these families serve is includes as often within Rokugan, they are referred to by their lord's family name followed by their own name, for example "Endo Ujimasa" would be called "Hiruma no Endo Ujimasa", sometimes even just calling him "Hiruma Ujimasa". However, if you want to play in a Rokugan that has a bit more diversity then you may drop the first part and simply refer to such a character as "Endo Ujimasa" under all circumstances.

The distinction here between "branch family" and "servant family" is not an official designation, but indicates whether the family came from outside the family they serve (usually entirely outside the clan, and often from ronin or peasant backgrounds) and were adopted by the family as permanent servants, which I have referred to as "Servant Family" or where a family designated some of its own members to focus on specializing in a certain task, which I have called "Branch Family". While these have never been used as terms within Rokugan canon, there is every indication that those from Branch Families get treated better than those from Servant Families.

Mechanically all of these families are a bit worse than the 4 to 5 you will find in the main RPG book. This is because these families are canonically of lower status within the clan. In fact, these characters should start off with 5 less status than regular member of their clan in addition to the lower glory and usually lower wealth found here. If GMs find that these few points of honor, glory and wealth are too great of a detriment for players to consider even playing these families, then they are encouraged to bump the glory here by 5 points, the wealth by an extra koku and not implementing the status loss for being from a branch family. The ultimate goal here is to increase the options for both PCs and NPCs-- obviously a balance between realism and enjoyment should be struck.

The Endo Family
Hiruma Servant Family
Ring Increases: +1 Void or +1 Water
Skill Increases: +1 Labor, +1 Survival
Glory: 36 Starting Wealth: 3 Koku
The Endo family was formed by a group of Kaiu engineers who managed to create a fortress for the Hiruma family in only two years. Afterwards they become the personal masons of the Hiruma family. They are rarely encountered outside of Hiruma fortresses unless it is to obtain supplies.

The Fundai Family
Kaiu Branch Family
Ring Increases: +1 Fire or +1 Water
Skill Increases: +1 Labor, +1 Seafaring
Glory: 34 Starting Wealth: 4 Koku
The Fundai family trains the shipwrights and sailors that sail the Sea of Shadows. Their ships are known to be hardier and faster than those of the pirates that plague the coasts of the Crab Clan lands. They are also known for personally securing important transports. When you encounter Crab Clan sailors, a Fundai will often be found among them.

The Ishi Family
Kaiu Branch Family
Skill Increases: +1 Design, +1 Smithing
Glory: 37 Starting Wealth: 4 Koku
The Ishi are renowned for their superb armor crafting. In particularly, they created the tetsu-dou style of heavy armor used by the Crab that is strong enough to withstand a blow from an oni. Many Crabs, even champions, have survived due to their diligent work. If you want the greatest armor smiths, look for an Ishi.

The Kakeguchi Family
Hida Branch Family
Ring Increases: +1 Air or +1 Fire
Skill Increases: +1 Command, +1 Sentiment
Glory: 38 Starting Wealth: 4 Koku
One of the oldest vassal families in the empire, the Kakeguchi date back to the first century. Kakeguchi was a good friend of Hiruma. When Hida and Hiruma left their lands on a quest, Kakeguchi stayed behind to protect them. His descendants protect their lands to this day, often as officers in the army or as magistrates. If you run into magistrates in the Crab lands, there is a good chance it is a Kakeguchi.

The Kano Family
Yasuki Branch Family
Ring Increases: +1 Air or +1 Fire
Skill Increases: +1 Aesthetics, +1 Smithing
Glory: 38 Starting Wealth: 6 Koku
The Kano Family is descended from the greatest apprentice of Yasuki. As the Yasuki family abandoned attempting to compete with the Kakita’s skill, the Kano family took up the mantle of carrying on the crafting traditions of the Yasuki and providing them with goods to sell. Their loyalty was so strong that when the Yasuki defected to the Crab Clan, the Kano joined them. Their devotion is so strong that Kano is synonymous with “patriot” among the Crabs. If you seek a great Crab Clan artisan, find a Kano.

The Kenru Family
Kaiu Branch Family
Ring Increases: +1 Fire or +1 Void
Skill Increases: +1 Meditation, +1 Smithing
The Kenru are descended from the legendary armorsmith Kaiu Kenru. They are known for their ou-yoroi style of armor which takes twice as long to create as normal armor, but lasts five times as long. The family guards its secrets jealously. If you seek reliable equipment, you should find a member of the Kenru family.

The Koebi Family
Hida Servant Family
Ring Increases: +1 Air or +1 Void
Skill Increases: +1 Meditation, +1 Tactics
Glory: 34 Starting Wealth: 3 Koku
The Koebi family was formed by a renowned ronin who came into the service of the Hida. His actions and loyalty impressed the Clan Champion that they nearly recommended them to become a minor clan. Instead they were gifted Shiro Koebi along the coast of the Crab lands. Sadly, their home was lost in the recent tsunami. The few Koebi that remain can be found wandering the land, hoping to someday restore their home.

The Maisuna Family
Kaiu Branch Family
Ring Increases: +1 Earth or +1 Fire
Skill Increases: +1 Aesthetics, +1 Labor
The Maisuna family is descended from those who helped construct the original Kaiu wall by mining the necessary stone from the Twilight Mountains. In the centuries since, the family has become masters of not simply mining stone, but also shaping it. Their lands are decorated with exquisite statues. If you wish to find brilliant stonework, look to the Maisuna family.

The Meishozo Family
Kuni Branch Family
Ring Increases: +1 Air or +1 Void
Skill Increases: +1 Skullduggery, +1 Theology
While officially, the Meishozo are responsible for mixing the famous white face paint of the Kuni, in reality they have a far more dangerous task. The Meishozo help fight maho cults in Rokugan by infiltrating them, carefully utilizing special corrupted face paint to disguise themselves as corrupted. When fighting Maho cults within the Crab lands, be aware there may be a friendly Meishozo among them.

The Moshibaru Family
Hida Servant Family
Skill Increases: +1 Survival, +1 Tactics
Glory: 33 Starting Wealth: 3 Koku
Ronin and other people who have survived the
Twenty Goblin Winter are adopted into the Moshibaru family. The older members of the family teach the new members about Hida's techniques and philosophies. Once those new members have proven their worth and honor, they can be promoted out of the vassal family, or they can choose to remain to help train and develop other new Moshibaru members. Thus, not all Moshibaru are ex-ronin, as some are born Moshibaru and need to proof their worth at their gempukku.

The Nobuto Family
Yasuki Servant Family
Ring Increases: +1 Air or +1 Water
Skill Increases: +1 Command, +1 Tactics
The Nobuto family are descended from the second son of Yasuki Jiriki, the Yasuki daimyo who defected from the Crane to the Crab. Unlike other descendants of the Yasuki, the Nobuto family are known for being proud and noble warriors. Since the time of the Yasuki wars, they have struck back every time the Crane have made a move upon the Yasuki lands.

The Raikuto Family
Hiruma Branch Family
Ring Increases: +1 Air or +1 Water
Skill Increases: +1 Courtesy, +1 Skulduggery
Glory: 39 Starting Wealth: 6 Koku
Dating back to the earliest days of the empire, the Raikuto family has served as the Crab Clans permanent representatives within the Imperial Capital. While the Yasuki have taken on their former role as the official ambassadors, they still serve as the eyes and ears of the Crab within the city and protect them from the machinations of other clans.

The Takumi Family
Hida Servant Family
Skill Increases: +1 Command, +1 Labor
The Takumi are a family of ji-samurai who serve the Hida family primarily as construction overseers, but can also be found serving within the Crab Clan armies. Although generally unremarkable, one of their members was recently chosen to compete at the Topaz Championship.

The Ugawari Family
Kuni Servant Family
Skill Increases: +1 Medicine, +1 Survival
Glory: 32 Starting Wealth: 3 Koku
The Ugawari are known as the “monster catchers” for the Kuni family, those tasked with tracking down and bringing back the foul beasts of the Shadowlands for experimentation by the Kuni. They are masters at using weapons such as man-catchers and whips. Though their vicious prey often leaves plenty of marks across their bodies. They can be identified by their distinctive cage-like helmets.

Edited by TheHobgoblyn

The only comment I would put to this as a first glance is to change the name of Maisuna, as suggested by DG Laderoute. Otherwise, these all look pretty good.

First of all, I think this is a great project and I support it.

Second, I think you forgot the Moshibaru family. They are a vassal family of the Hida, made from the people that survived the Twenty Goblin Winter.

The Moshibaru Family
Hida Servant Family
Skill Increases: +1 Fitness, +1 Survival
Glory: 39 Starting Wealth: 3 Koku
Twenty Goblin Winter are adopted into the Moshibaru family. The older members of the family teach the new members about Hida's techniques and philosophies. Once those new members have proven their worth and honor, they can be promoted out of the vassal family, or they can choose to remain to help train and develop other new Moshibaru members. Thus, not all Moshibaru are ex-ronin, as some are born Moshibaru and need to proof their worth at their gempukku.

29 minutes ago, Kiso said:

First of all, I think this is a great project and I support it.

Second, I think you forgot the Moshibaru family. They are a vassal family of the Hida, made from the people that survived the Twenty Goblin Winter.

The Moshibaru Family
Hida Servant Family
Skill Increases: +1 Fitness, +1 Survival
Glory: 39 Starting Wealth: 3 Koku

Thanks-- I added it to the list.

I have revised the above entries. I tried to spread out the ring allocation and skills to avoid any two having the same stats. I also tried to vary things out so that there are a few options available regardless of which ring you are looking for and vary the skills a bit.

I gave them a glory rank between 32 (if they are peasants/ronin who do rather unsavory, honorless things and/or are notably super obscure) to 39 (if their long history, fame and deeds ought to warrant them being basically a regular family) as well as their wealth with a range between 3 for the poorer, more rural families and 6 for the more commerce, trade, traveling and artistry ones with the family they serve's starting wealth being treated as somewhat of a ceiling. (Although there may be exceptions if the lore seems to extraordinarily warrant it.)

I have also adjusted the top blurb to reflect the fact that the way vassal families work has changed. I will probably revise the rest before many people read this, but I want to make sure I am happy with the 7 main clans before moving onto the Imperial and Mantis/Minor Clans.

Edited by TheHobgoblyn