Equipping Hux

By Cpt ObVus, in X-Wing Rules Questions

So, I’m trying to equip General Hux to a Xi Shuttle in LaunchBayNext, and when I click the Crew slot, he doesn’t appear as an option, despite the fact that he requires only that the ship he’s equipped to is “First Order” and has “Coordinate” on the action bar. The Xi Shuttle does have a red Coordinate. When I use one Crew slot to first equip a Tactical Officer, giving the Shuttle a white Coordinate, LBN THEN allows me to equip Hux in the other Crew slot, and I can then remove the Tactical Officer, so there is a workaround, but I just wanted to confirm that my understanding of the rules is correct, and this is indeed a bug.

So my question is: when an upgrade card has an action bar requirement in the box on the lower left of the card, that action can be white, red, or purple on the bar, correct?

EDIT: And now I see why Hux isn’t an option; he requires that the ship perform a white Coordinate in order to use his text, making him useless without a Tactical Officer. Still, I suppose it’s worth asking the question: Shouldn’t he technically be equippable, regardless of the color of the ship’s native Coordinate? Not important in this case, perhaps, but maybe important in some other similar case with a red action on the bar.

Edited by Cpt ObVus
35 minutes ago, Cpt ObVus said:

So, I’m trying to equip General Hux to a Xi Shuttle in LaunchBayNext, and when I click the Crew slot, he doesn’t appear as an option, despite the fact that he requires only that the ship he’s equipped to is “First Order” and has “Coordinate” on the action bar. The Xi Shuttle does have a red Coordinate. When I use one Crew slot to first equip a Tactical Officer, giving the Shuttle a white Coordinate, LBN THEN allows me to equip Hux in the other Crew slot, and I can then remove the Tactical Officer, so there is a workaround, but I just wanted to confirm that my understanding of the rules is correct, and this is indeed a bug.

So my question is: when an upgrade card has an action bar requirement in the box on the lower left of the card, that action can be white, red, or purple on the bar, correct?

EDIT: And now I see why Hux isn’t an option; he requires that the ship perform a white Coordinate in order to use his text, making him useless without a Tactical Officer. Still, I suppose it’s worth asking the question: Shouldn’t he technically be equippable, regardless of the color of the ship’s native Coordinate? Not important in this case, perhaps, but maybe important in some other similar case with a red action on the bar.

you're right. report it to the launchbay next devs.

5 hours ago, Cpt ObVus said:

I saw that he was only equippable with Tactical Officer, as well. I'm not certain that he should be disallowed, but it is true that you cannot use his ability on the Xi unless you somehow get a white coordinate on the ship as his ability requires that, and the only current option for that is the Tactical Officer upgrade.

6 hours ago, meffo said:

you're right. report it to the launchbay next devs.

Is he though?

Given Hux has similar wording to Daredevil, im more inclined to believe that FFG missed the White Coordinate requirement on Hux.

418?cb=20180709182438

(dont know if that image will stay up or not)

As 505 said, without a white coordinate action, hux cannot be used anyway so not sure what the purpose would be to put him on a Xi without tac officer.

1 hour ago, Lyianx said:

Is he though?

Given Hux has similar wording to Daredevil, im more inclined to believe that FFG missed the White Coordinate requirement on Hux.

418?cb=20180709182438

(dont know if that image will stay up or not)

As 505 said, without a white coordinate action, hux cannot be used anyway so not sure what the purpose would be to put him on a Xi without tac officer.

i checked it. i mean, the squad builder is a mess, but it's the official source. "maybe ffg missed this" or "he doesn't do anything" are not valid arguments. he should be equippable either way, according to the rules as written as of right now.

Screenshot-20201014-175709-com-fantasyfl

Just because an upgrade is useless doesn't mean it can't be equipped. Shara Bey has 9 gunner options and 7 of those 9 cannot use their abilities (because Shara doesn't have a turret arc and can't equip devices).

On 10/14/2020 at 12:01 PM, meffo said:

according to the rules as written as of right now.

Of course i realize, "as its written", it should fit. I also realize LBN isnt the end all of rules for list building. I was just stating a possible intent. (also, yes, that app is a mess of a trash fire, didnt think they were even still updating it. Didnt hey say they were not going to until they rebuilt it?)

23 hours ago, joeshmoe554 said:

Just because an upgrade is useless doesn't mean it can't be equipped.

Fair point i guess. Suppose the requirement isn't really necessary as FFG probably assumes that logically, nobody would equip him on a ship he cannot be used on anyway.

So does this mean that, if the requirements for an action doesn't list a difficulty, then any difficulty of that action qualifies it for the build? My assumption was if it didnt list it, then it defaults to white, but this hux thing kills that theory. Also not sure what other instances this applies to atm.

Gonna agree with @Lyianx that it is probably an oversight on the official app as Daredevil cannot be equipped to a HWK-290 unless you add a Engine Upgrade. This should imply that Hux needs a white coordinate to be placed onto the Xi Shuttle.

1 hour ago, 5050Saint said:

Gonna agree with @Lyianx that it is probably an oversight on the official app as Daredevil cannot be equipped to a HWK-290 unless you add a Engine Upgrade. This should imply that Hux needs a white coordinate to be placed onto the Xi Shuttle.

they'd need to errata hux in that case. daredevil actually requires a white boost action.

Capture.png

hux does not require a white coordinate action, no matter how useless he is without one.

Capture.png

also, i don't see why FFG should care. if an upgrade is useless, it doesn't really hurt the game that you can equip it. not right now anyway. i do see that it can kind of hurt the jank tank tournament format, but that's not a sanctioned or official format by any stretch of the imagination. just throw a skilled bombardier on your yv-666, why don't you? at least if you equip a quadjumper with intertial dampeners, you can also throw on a shield upgrade to make it useful, just like you can throw on a tactical officer on a ship equipped with hux, assuming you have more than one crew slot.

1 hour ago, meffo said:

they'd need to errata hux in that case. daredevil actually requires a white boost action.

Capture.png

I will amend my statement in light of the new evidence. Hux can go on the Xi Shuttle without Tac Officer.