Extra (bonus) dice for cards (to be used then set aside)

By thinkbomb, in Star Wars: Destiny

context first, question after ...

context is that I live in an area where there simply isn't FFG tourneys. So I'm asking this question so that our local players who do play (we play casual, but fair/rules abiding) can no how to approach this.

QUESTION is "how many extra dice can you have in reserve for cards that call on extra dice?"

A couple examples would be Pong Krell's Saber or the Runaway Boomas. They both have text that allow the player to roll in an extra die, then set it aside.

On a related question: IF the answer is INFINITE, how many extra dice have you seen a player bring in reserve for one of these cards (in practice)?

Thanks in advance!

There is no upper limit in the rules, but since both your examples use a Power Action to roll in the extra dice, and the dice are set aside when resolved or removed, it's highly unlikely that you will ever need more than two.

I have a Phasma + Mega blaster troopers deck that needs 6 First order Stormtrooper dice to be sure i always have enough.

2 hours ago, Lindgaard said:

There is no upper limit in the rules, but since both your examples use a Power Action to roll in the extra dice, and the dice are set aside when resolved or removed, it's highly unlikely that you will ever need more than two.

I have a Phasma + Mega blaster troopers deck that needs 6 First order Stormtrooper dice to be sure i always have enough.

so, I'm realizing I may have been misinterpreting a rule, so I'm going to ask and clarify. (since doing so will clear out all related questions)

The term "set aside" means that the specific component is removed entirely from play and cannot be affected by general mechanics ... HOWEVER ... it does not prevent it from being called back into action if it's specifically called for?

So I'll give a scenario using Pong Krell's saber for clarity (since I remember that rule off the top of my head)

• Pong Krell activates, he's got his saber equipped so he rolls in the normal die
  • on his next turn, his player uses the saber power action to roll in that extra copy of the die (paying the requisite resource cost)
  • his opponent doesn't like this and removes the bonus die from play, which means the die is set aside
  • since the die is set aside this round, and pong's player already used the power action, he can't roll that bonus die back into the pool
  • however, next round pong krell's player uses the power action to bring that set-aside die back into play ... because the saber card specifically calls for it.

Is that right?

Edited by thinkbomb

Yes, that is right. As long as krell is alive you can use his power action to bring that die into play. So to hopefully awnser your question you only need 2 dice for that action. If it helps imagine it like it is set aside for the round. Basically when it is set aside it is out of play Until its brought back in. Like Phasma's megablasters. Hope that helps!