Jaina's Light and Dangerous Territory

By Lemmiwinks86, in Star Wars: Armada Rules Questions

I want to make sure of this interaction.
If Jaina's Light overlaps a debris or asteroid as first player on Dangerous Territory, can the player choose to pick up the token but not resolve the effect of the debris or asteroid?

Jaina's Light says: "You can ignore the effects of overlapping obstacles"

Dangerous Territory says: "When a ship overlaps an obstacle, the ship's owner may remove the objective token on that obstacle..."

My understanding is that DT and the asteroid/debris are two separate instances when you decide wheather or not you use Jaina's Light even if both effects are from the same overlapping. So you can choose to use Jaina's effect to ignore the effect of suffering damage and suffer the effect of DT and receiving the token. Is this correct or if you choose to use Jaina's Light you must ignore or don't ignore both effects together?

Edited by Lemmiwinks86

Your understanding is correct. Collecting a token when you overlap an obstacle is not an effect of that obstacle.

Rather, overlapping the obstacle is a trigger for an effect written on the objective card.

Edit: Otherwise the second player couldn't score any points, because "when one of the second player's ships overlaps an obstacle or debris field, that obstacle has no effect."

Edited by The Jabbawookie

I like to disagree, because JL ingore all effects of overlaping an obstacle.
And the second player rulie only negates the obstacle effect.

My doubt at this point is what is an effecto of overlaping and what a general rule and why?

Solved: as per faq 3.3.1

This card’s Special Rule effect resolves during the Move Ship step while executing a maneuver.

Jaina's light resolves after this creating a window to pick the token while negating the negative effects. From the faq

The effect of this Upgrade Card triggers during Attack Step 2: "Roll Attack Dice" and after Execute Maneuver Step: "Move Ship"

Edited by Montazghul
5 hours ago, Montazghul said:

Jaina's light resolves after this creating a window to pick the token while negating the negative effects. From the faq

I'm not seeing Jaina's Light in FAQ v5.1.1.

It's on the wiki, but not sourced. Am I just missing it?

Edit: That said, I like your interpretation and agree with it based on overlap timing and the DT FAQ alone.

Edited by The Jabbawookie

You guys seem to have figured it out.

As mentioned, "overlapping" as defined by RRG is not the same as suffering "effects" from an obstacle, as defined by RRG and with a healthy dose of FAQ.
FAQ cleary calls out that obstacle effects happen "after" end of movement, in terms of order of resolution.

"Overlapping" happens when a ship or squadron ends movement on an obstacle, thus "overlapping". The "effect" that obstacle generates is then resolved after the movement.

For DT, all it cares about, is that an obstacle was "overlapped" not that any "effects" were suffered.

So, in short, yes. JL can "overlap" an obstacle, claim a token, and then use its card effect to ignore the obstacle "effects" that would otherwise of happened from the "overlap".
Same reason why a ship with 1 hull, could end movement "overlapping" an asteroid obstacle, claim the DT token, and then the "effect" of the obstacle happens, which destroys the ship.

Edited by Karneck