How would you go about a Prison Break?

By Mark Caliber, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion RPG

It's ISB Prison 4958 on Hosnian Prime, also known as the "Redoubt of Doubt." (Don't look it up. I made this one up from scratch).

There are three known rebel agents recently arrested by the ISB and recently transferred to this facility. They have intel that the Alliance doesn't want leaking to the Empire.

4958 is a remote facility out in a wilderness area adjacent to a lake. All official transport to and from the facility is via shuttle.

Assets:

• The team is running around in a C-ROC with a Ghost Transport with a burnable temporary ID plus the paint job has been altered. The ID and appearance of this ship can be altered quickly.
  • About half a dozen combatants most of whom are force sensitive, and armed with Lightsabers. Most of this team are pretty handy with ranged weapons too.
  • A Stock civilian air car.
  • One of the agents has an intact IPKC.
  • One of the agents is an amazing engineer and capable slicer.

Know Liabilities:

• No information about prison 4958.
  • Two Imperial Star Destroyers in orbit at Hosnian Prime with full compliments.
  • Time is limited! (But isn't it always)?

I know. Not a lot to go on. ;)

But what would you do?

I like "Doubt's Redoubt" a bit better. Rolls off the tongue more comfortably...

If I understand you correctly, one of the captured rebel agents has an intact IPKC? If he's been arrested on treason charges, wouldn't that have been revoked?

How much of this do the PCs know? How much of this is prone to adjustment and change? Because I am coming at this from a planning perspective more than a reacting perspective, and have a couple ideas in mind for adjustments.

Okay.

To Clarify

The PC with the Imperial Peace Keeper Certificate (IPKC) is a registered Bounty Hunter with all the rights, responsibilities, privileges, responsibilities etc. The Bounty Hunter hasn't been arrested or charged (yet). He's still in good standing. None of the captured Agents have ever had an IPKC.

2 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

How much of this do the PCs know?

Everything that I've outlined so far.

2 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

How much of this is prone to adjustment and change?

Nothing? Everything? I've tried to outline the situation as it currently stands. The reason that I've started this intellectual exercise is that as the GM I'm trying to anticipate different approaches that a PC group might take so that I can plan appropriately.

So. What would YOU do to advance this AoR mission? I'm not picky if you plan or react.

2 minutes ago, Mark Caliber said:

So. What would YOU do to advance this AoR mission? I'm not picky if you plan or react.

Okay... As a GM, there are some things I'd change (like making the transport ground-based so the PCs could jam comms and then hijack it), but I'll try to come at this from the perspective of a player reacting to the information rather than as a GM planning out the scenario.

To a certain extent, I'm going to be speaking in generalities as I do not know all the nitty-gritty. For some of this, you'll have to fill it out to match what you have in mind.

If I were the PCs, I'd try to gain entrance to the facility via the shuttle.
I'd park the Not-Phantom (that's what you were referring to, right?) out in the wilderness as a getaway, possibly stationing an accomplice or droid (PC would be a problem because they'd be stuck with nothing to do for a while) to pilot it to the rescue if a last-ditch evac is required (as I assume the facility has some AA defenses).
Then I'd ditch (or at least disregard) the airspeeder, picking up a landspeeder locally.

Team Aurek (including the engineer) are going to infiltrate in the shuttle. They forge prisoner transfer orders and dress up as X many stormtroopers and a prisoner, then call in the shuttle. They pass off their credentials, it comes to pick them up, and they're on their way.

Meanwhile, Team Besh has stealthily approached via landspeeder, parking relatively close to the prison. They are there to create a distraction or stage a rescue if things go wrong and then drive the getaway speeder to transport anyone not up for a long trek to the Not-Phantom. (Unless it can carry everyone, which is a fairly dubious prospect while still being low-profile).
The others then have to hoof it, or hide out and wait for a return trip.

Once Aurek has infiltrated the prison, they have to find the location of the prisoners via engineer/slicer PC's shenanigans. They then break them out and have to exfiltrate. Hopefully Besh's distraction is helpful in this regard.

If things go wrong and they can't reach the RV point, they might need the Not-Phantom for an evac from the facility itself. This might require the slicer PC to try and shut down the defenses (probably with a slicing encounter).

Ideally, Aurek makes it to the RV point, loads up VIPs or wounded and has them transported to the Not-Phantom and then hoofs it back or hides out and waits for the speeder to return.

My style for this sort of thing is usually to plan out a "Plan A" for how I want/expect the PCs to accomplish the objective, then I try to plan for them taking alternate routes.

I’d take a different approach. Stealth is key to this mission. If anyone sounds the alarm you’ve got a lot of force coming down on you (for example, nearly 20,000 stormtroopers in orbit).

Step 1: Get in with the guys who deliver the food. Bribe, coerce, whatever to allow the team to use their C-Roc to transport the next shipment. Sneak someone in and, Mission Impossible style, hack their credentials into the system.

Step 2: Show up in the air car as Imperial VIPs, there to tour/audit the prison. A few break off from the group and free the prisoners. Deliver prisoners to the food crew and high tail it out. Imperial VIPs coerce and prison staff into silence.

As always, thanks for the challenge.

—Lagspiked.

By way of a quick update . . .

The PC's 'think' that they're trying a stealth approach.

They attacked a patrol of four storm troopers late at night and stole their weapons and armor. (Recovered 4 E-11's and 3 full suits of Armor. One of the fighters finished the fight by lightsabering the last opponent. It was a close fight).

So to add to our list of assets: Three Stormtrooper suits & the E-11's.

Next phase: Figure out HOW to get to the totally isolated prison.

You don't break the prison. Acquire an Imperial Shuttle. Have your slicer (PC or hired) and/or infiltrator orchestrate a prisoner transfer of the assets to another location. The PCs fly away with the assets they need. Optionally, just arrange for the transfer to a (non-existent) remote prison world and let the Imperials transport the prisoners. Then arrange and ambush and overpower the shuttle crew at the remote destination.

Quick update:

The Empire sets trap for Rebel Agents! :ph34r:

GM Plan: Have players figure out or avoid the trap. <_<

Watch players leap headlong into the trap . . . :blink:

We're at the phase where the players have started to set things on fire in the hopes of create so much chaos that they can escape.

So far it appears to be working. ^_^

The FFG Rebellion Day Module called Rescue at Glares Peak tells the story of a prison break from an imperial detention facility. I encourage you to check in out.