The Cactus Patch

By Ilostmycactus, in Terrain Building

I'm really into 3d printing terrain, so I thought I'd post my growing collection. I will note that these only have the barest levels of post processing work done and don't represent a final product. Onward!

First is a lovely kiosque model.

A nice tower and monument.

A defensive cannon. This one had a layer shift so I had to greeble it up.

Vts0KH3.jpg

My trench network

cqGYvyQ.jpg

I really that gazebo in the first picture. It'll look great painted in a weathered marble scheme, but I have to admit it looks kind of cool as-is. 😄

@Ilostmycactus , Have you had any luck with Imperial Terrain, or do you do your own design?

32 minutes ago, Ghost1 said:

@Ilostmycactus , Have you had any luck with Imperial Terrain, or do you do your own design?

No I don't use them. I just use stuff I've found on thingiverse and elsewhere. I don't design anything myself.

2 hours ago, Ghost1 said:

I've bought and printed TONS of stuff from Imperial Terrain. As far as 3d terrain sellers go, they are by far my favorite.

If you go to my terrain thread, you'll see a lot of their stuff:

@oreet

I have spent more than I should have at Imperial Terrain, and have enjoyed everything I have had time to print so far. As I am just getting into 3D Printing, I am learning the ropes of getting the best quality from my printer, which basically means not messing stuff up because of my mistakes. My Print Bed is just a touch too small for some of the Prints, so I am getting creative, when I have time to tackle it.

My question to @Ilostmycactus was more to set him up for a cool Secret Santa Gift.

Mission Accomplished.

On 12/10/2020 at 9:42 AM, Ghost1 said:

The Imperial Terrain files are top notch, great value (I say that after spending way to much there LOL). Another is Corvus, their Pilgrim city will fill an entire 6*3 table by itself. Both companies files are great, I think out of all the bundles I only needed supports on 3 specific files (small parts of large builds) otherwise everything prints without supports and looks amazing. I'll try and post pics once I start painting the terrain. I am looking to paint large batches, so everything is just printed now, but from them I have a Full Hoth tables, 2 Tat tables (one open style land scape and one full city), Naboo and an Endor table. I have had success from Thingiverse, there are some good files there, but you do run a risk and alot need supports everywhere, but the are some great terrain pieces to mix out with.

@oreet @Ghost1 @Darthgallant So I've never actually used openlock clips before, but I'd rather not have to buy magnets. Do you have experience with them? Do they click in well? Are they fragile? Is it easy to pull them apart? Thanks.

4 hours ago, Ilostmycactus said:

@oreet @Ghost1 @Darthgallant So I've never actually used openlock clips before, but I'd rather not have to buy magnets. Do you have experience with them? Do they click in well? Are they fragile? Is it easy to pull them apart? Thanks.

I haven't yet used them, but I have seen a video somewhere that showed them to be pretty sturdy. If I get any of mine printed here in the next week or two, I will let you know what I think.

So the OpenLock are good. I think my only concern with them is if you plan on taking things apart a lot for storage, I think over time, with constant assemble) disassemble, the clips could start to wear out.

On 12/12/2020 at 11:43 PM, oreet said:

So the OpenLock are good. I think my only concern with them is if you plan on taking things apart a lot for storage, I think over time, with constant assemble) disassemble, the clips could start to wear out.

The good news is: in the worst case scenario you just print more!

On 12/12/2020 at 11:17 AM, Ilostmycactus said:

The clips are good, but agree with above, constant use will wear them down. But it takes like 10 minutes to print a tray of 15, so they are easy to replace