Republic Strategy for New Players on a budget

By Makikis, in X-Wing Squad Lists

Hi. I am a new X-Wing player and think its a great game. However, I was wondering if anyone had any tips.

I play Republic and my family member-who got into X-Wing at the exact same time as I did- plays Separatist. We primarily play against each other and he has won every time. I have tried many many different lists but he always seems to be able to swarm me and win no matter what I do. I have scoured the internet for any strategy tips for the Republic but haven't really found anything.

I got the Guardians of the Republic Squadron Pack (Delta-7 & 2 V-19 Torrents), a Delta-7 pack, and an ARC-170 pack. My family member did pretty much the same thing (A Bellubab, 2 Vultures, a Nantex, and a Sith Infiltrator). Are his ships just inherently better? I'm on a tight budget so I can't really go out and buy 3 of every ship.

If there's a website/youtube channel or any kind of resource that I haven't yet found, please tell me (I have already found Crabbok and Hairy Nick, but they haven't helped a whole lot).

Any tips or strategy guides will help! Thanks!

Welcome! There's definitely a bit of a learning curve. From what you have you should be able to put together a solid list. So I'll focus on general strategy.

Generally, swarmy lists tend to be "jousty". This means that if you fly straight at them and you two trade damage, the swarm will come out ahead.

Therefore, you will want to avoid letting that happen. Attack from multiple angles and leave yourself some escape options by approaching conservatively with your Jedi. Your clones may have to bear the brunt of the incoming attack, but as Obi-Wan said, "they're doing their job so [you] can do [yours]".

Post your list if you like; I won't go too deep on listbuilding because it obscures the fundamental strategy, which is what's important to learn in the beginning.

On 10/7/2020 at 8:52 PM, Makikis said:

If there's a website/youtube channel or any kind of resource that I haven't yet found, please tell me (I have already found Crabbok and Hairy Nick, but they haven't helped a whole lot).

Gold Squadron Podcast are fantastic and they stream a lot of games. I'm going to link an example of two good players where one is flying just two 'regen' Jedi against a swarm of Separatists. I haven't watched the game, but I would expect it would be instructive. Note the squad points have changed since this game, so you probably can't copy this directly.

If you want to be able to joust, a LAAT/i and another Arc would let you fly LAAT/i (recommend Warthog w/ Clone Commander Cody), two Arcs and two Torrents which would be pretty strong.

Another video, that I have watched and recommend, is Oli Pocknell reviewing his games from the world championship last year. He's an aces player, and in this example he's having to avoid the joust.

I have had some good luck with this list:

Warthog Squad

(54) "Warthog" [Laat/i Gunship]
(10) Plo Koon
(4) Wolfpack
(4) Cluster Missiles
(1) Synchronized Console

(44) Squad Seven Veteran [ARC-170 Starfighter]
(3) R3 Astromech
(1) Synchronized Console
(1) Dedicated
(13) Proton Torpedoes

(26) Blue Squadron Protector [V-19 Torrent Starfighter]
(4) Cluster Missiles
(1) Synchronized Console
(1) Dedicated

(26) Blue Squadron Protector [V-19 Torrent Starfighter]
(4) Cluster Missiles
(1) Synchronized Console
(1) Dedicated

Total points: 199

It does add the LAAT/i, but the synergy is really good. Warthog helps with a couple of dice mods and the synchronized console allows for the passing off of the lock which helps everyone get their cluster missile shots off. That many bonus attacks could be helpful against the swarm.

Edited by Yank01

Assuming your family member doesn't mind you proxying an upgrade card(wolfpack) you could play this without purchasing any more models:

104th Battalion Pilot (42)
Wolfpack (4)
Synchronized Console (1)

Ship total: 47 Half Points: 24 Threshold: 5

Gold Squadron Trooper (25)
Cluster Missiles (4)
Synchronized Console (1)

Ship total: 30 Half Points: 15 Threshold: 3

Gold Squadron Trooper (25)
Cluster Missiles (4)
Synchronized Console (1)

Ship total: 30 Half Points: 15 Threshold: 3

Obi-Wan Kenobi (49)
Calibrated Laser Targeting (4)

Ship total: 53 Half Points: 27 Threshold: 2

Jedi Knight (37)
Calibrated Laser Targeting (2)

Ship total: 39 Half Points: 20 Threshold: 2

Total: 199

Wolfpack lets you get locks with your jousty torrents and ARC, and synchronized console lets you spread the locks around to make sure you get your ordnance shots off. Obi is a great pocket ace, and the jedi knight is either a pocket ace against low initiative, or if out-initiatived: one of the best blockers in the game.

Edited by Cerebrawl
Explanation
On 10/7/2020 at 9:52 PM, Makikis said:

Hi. I am a new X-Wing player and think its a great game. However, I was wondering if anyone had any tips.

I play Republic and my family member-who got into X-Wing at the exact same time as I did- plays Separatist. We primarily play against each other and he has won every time. I have tried many many different lists but he always seems to be able to swarm me and win no matter what I do. I have scoured the internet for any strategy tips for the Republic but haven't really found anything.

I got the Guardians of the Republic Squadron Pack (Delta-7 & 2 V-19 Torrents), a Delta-7 pack, and an ARC-170 pack. My family member did pretty much the same thing (A Bellubab, 2 Vultures, a Nantex, and a Sith Infiltrator). Are his ships just inherently better? I'm on a tight budget so I can't really go out and buy 3 of every ship.

Any tips or strategy guides will help! Thanks!

A bit late to the party here but out of curiosity what list were you using? What list is he using? Have you sorted it out to your favor any? Added any ships to your collection?

If you are getting "swarmed" by five ships that is a flying thing more than a list-building thing. Here is an all I3 list using the ships you have.

Delta-7 Aethersprite - •Ahsoka Tano - 51
•Ahsoka Tano - “Snips" (44)
•R4-P17 (5)

Delta-7 Aethersprite - Jedi Knight - 39
Jedi Knight - (37)

ARC-170 Starfighter - •“Sinker” - 54
•“Sinker” - Wolfpack Veteran (54)

V-19 Torrent Starfighter - Blue Squadron Protector - 27
Blue Squadron Protector - (26)
Dedicated (1)

V-19 Torrent Starfighter - Blue Squadron Protector - 27
Blue Squadron Protector - (26)
Dedicated (1)

Total: 198/200

Depending on what else you have upgrade wise you could drop the Torrents to Gold Squadron Troopers and give them some Cluster Missiles. You can save points dropping the ARC to one of the generic pilots and perhaps pick a couple of different Jedi.

3 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

Added any ships to your collection?

Yeah, I got the N-1 Naboo Starfighter a week or two ago. I've been trying some more pure aces lists lately, and I thought that it would be a good addition.

1 minute ago, Makikis said:

Yeah, I got the N-1 Naboo Starfighter a week or two ago. I've been trying some more pure aces lists lately, and I thought that it would be a good addition.

What have you been flying list-wise?

One problem I feel like I have is that it feels like 2 or 1 force Jedi are almost not worth using because I need force to activate Fine tuned controls, defend, and that will leave me with only one force next turn and I can't use the pilot ability. This might just be a problem with how I'm playing it

1 minute ago, Frimmel said:

Naboo Royal N-1 Starfighter - •Ric Olié - 53
•Ric Olié - Bravo Leader (45)
Composure (1)
R2 Astromech (7)

Delta-7 Aethersprite - •Mace Windu - 73
•Mace Windu - Harsh Traditionalist (46)
R2 Astromech (9)
Delta-7B (18)

Delta-7 Aethersprite - •Anakin Skywalker - 74
•Anakin Skywalker - Hero of the Republic (62)
R2 Astromech (9)
Brilliant Evasion (3)

Total: 200/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

1 minute ago, Frimmel said:

Delta-7 Aethersprite - •Mace Windu - 76
R2 Astromech (9)
Brilliant Evasion (3)
Delta-7B (18)

Delta-7 Aethersprite - •Obi-Wan Kenobi - 65
•Obi-Wan Kenobi - Guardian of the Republic (49)
R2 Astromech (9)
Spare Parts Canisters (4)
Brilliant Evasion (3)

Naboo Royal N-1 Starfighter - •Anakin Skywalker - 56
•Anakin Skywalker - Hero of Naboo (41)
Daredevil (2)
Collision Detector (6)
R2 Astromech (7)

Total: 197/200

8 minutes ago, Makikis said:

One problem I feel like I have is that it feels like 2 or 1 force Jedi are almost not worth using because I need force to activate Fine tuned controls, defend, and that will leave me with only one force next turn and I can't use the pilot ability. This might just be a problem with how I'm playing it

I don't use the Jedi Knight much either. I tend to roll with Snips and ARCs as I think part of the point of playing Republic is flying ARCs. (There are two kinds of Republic lists Quad ARCs and not enough ARCs.)

I think I'd be inclined to drop the R2s and take another Delta-7B in the lists you posted. You've got a lot tied up in defense in those lists. Switching to CLT instead of Delta and dropping some astros or the Brilliant Evasion can get your ARC or torrents in the lists.

12 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

the point of playing Republic is flying ARCs

A problem that I've had flying ARCs (and clones in general) is that I've found it really hard to keep them alive. They seem to die really quickly, and when I try really hard to keep them alive, they don't end up doing much, but if I just go for it with them, they don't live long enough to do anything either. Any insights on how I could get better at this?

52 minutes ago, Makikis said:

Most of the time the pilot ability on Jedi might as well be blank. Approach a bit more conservatively and you'll find you don't need to use Fine-Tuned Controls as much.

List-wise, regen Jedi is a bit past its prime, having taken successive nerfs. I'd recommend practicing with Calibrated Laser Targeting Jedi, as the skills you learn there will translate well to other ships.

18 minutes ago, Makikis said:

A problem that I've had flying ARCs (and clones in general) is that I've found it really hard to keep them alive. They seem to die really quickly, and when I try really hard to keep them alive, they don't end up doing much, but if I just go for it with them, they don't live long enough to do anything either. Any insights on how I could get better at this?

Try to visualize the distance and approach such that the clones clip part of the enemy swarm at Range 3. At this point, your Jedi should be in a position to punish by coming from the side or even behind. If you find the Jedi haven't yet had time to get into position, approach even slower with the clones.

What do you guys think of this list:

ARC-170 Starfighter - Squad Seven Veteran - 51
Squad Seven Veteran - (44)
Expert Handling (3)
Stealth Device (4)

Delta-7 Aethersprite - •Ahsoka Tano - 46

Naboo Royal N-1 Starfighter - •Anakin Skywalker - 54
Proton Torpedoes (13)

Delta-7 Aethersprite - •Mace Windu - 49
Calibrated Laser Targeting (3)

Going by the most recent “tournament” data (GSP on Tabletop Sim). Republic is under performing and under represented in this last points change.

So you might be fighting a little bit uphill, but points may help that next go around.

15 minutes ago, Makikis said:

Expert Handling (3)
Stealth Device (4)

I like neither expert handling nor stealth device on the ARC, especially stealth device, you're 100% better off with a shield upgrade. I'd say you're much better off just bringing Wolffe without upgrades, or even Oddball with Predator(if you're playing extended).

23 minutes ago, Makikis said:

Expert Handling (3)
Stealth Device (4)

Proton Torpedoes (13)

Ahsoka, Anakin, and Mace all seem fine. Anakin vastly benefits from Passive Sensors, which will allow you to get target locks on higher-initiative ships even if you move first. It also lets you choose the lock at the last minute, which is great if your other ships have finished off the target already.

There's a few too many upgrades on the Squad Seven Veteran, which can eat into your efficiency ( this is a common listbuilding trap ). You will probably lose the points without getting the benefit -- Stealth device will break right away, and with the ARC-170's great blue moves you don't need the Expert Handling.

Those changes give us 5 points to work with. This is the right size for:

• R4-P17 on either of the Jedi
  • Bump Mace Windu up to Obi-Wan Kenobi and have 1 point for Dedicated
  • 2x R4-P and 1 point for Dedicated

4-ship lists can be a bit delicate because everything is "a bit expensive". Strategically, you should aim to cash in the ARC for 1-2 other ships -- this should give you a strategic advantage, even if it looks like you're losing when that happens.

Edited by QQMoore
6 minutes ago, QQMoore said:

and 1 point for Dedicated

What is the strategy with Dedicated? It seems like a lot of setup and cost for an effect that may or may not work

31 minutes ago, Makikis said:

Expert Handling (3)
Stealth Device (4)

Proton Torpedoes (13)

I would drop the Expert Handling, and Stealth Device and swap the Proton Torps for Adv. Proton Torps. Then you can up the ARC to Wolffe with VTG or Cody and maybe even keep the Expert Handling though you'd be better off with something else. You don't barrel roll a lot with ARCs.

9 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

and swap the Proton Torps for Adv. Proton Torps.

I don't have this upgrade...

ARC-170 Starfighter - Squad Seven Veteran - 44

Delta-7 Aethersprite - •Mace Windu - 51
R4 Astromech (2)

Naboo Royal N-1 Starfighter - •Anakin Skywalker - 56
Passive Sensors (2)
Proton Torpedoes (13)

Delta-7 Aethersprite - •Ahsoka Tano - 48
R4 Astromech (2)

Total: 199/200

What do think of this? I took everything off of the ARC, gave Anakin Passive sensors and gave the Jedi R4 Astromechs. This way I also have a better chance of choosing who goes first

Edited by Makikis

I'm interested in what you're up against and how you both approach each other.

He has access to several things that can be hard for a new player to deal with. Namely, Grievous, Nantex, Buzz Droids and the big tank that is Darth Maul.

Maul and Grievous hit like trucks when they get what they want. Grievous behind and Maul with the space to hit, flip and hit again.

Buzz Droids and Nantex will punish things that fall into their influence, they can be hard to predict and need to be worked around, rather than taken on the chin.

You say being swarmed. Given his less than numerous ships, that suggests to me that you're spreading out a little but not positioning your ships carefully enough to avoid them being picked off one by one.

There's an awful lot of complexity and variability with positioning vs another list, so it's difficult to offer advice in how to deal with what he's doing, without seeing what he tends to do. But there is some general advice I can give....

Practice, practice, practice estimating the angles and distances of your templates. Knowing where you'll land on a given manoeuvre, and then being able to see what options you'll have from the new position is massive. For example, you want to dial a 2 hard, you look at where it will land and see that it will lock you into another hard turn to squeeze past an obstacle. So you dial a 1 hard, knowing you'll have the option of a bank as well, should you need it.

Following on from that, keeping your options as open as possible is just as huge. Even if you're good at predicting where their ships will be, players will do unexpected things. Giving yourself that future choice of hard turn, or bank, will give you the options you need to outmanouvre them.

The space between your ships is the next step. Too far apart, and easily predictable if lacking options, you're open to being picked off. Too close, and you're allowing them to pick their targets at will and limiting your own options. The distances between your various ships and theirs is equally important. Too far, too close also applies there if you're spread out.

Hope this all gives you something to consider.

Well I'm a bit leery of the price tag on Pro. Torps but I think that is a bit stronger. That Stealth Device isn't going to go very far on an ARC.

So do you think its ok to have the ARC be upgradeless?

3 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

Well I'm a bit leery of the price tag on Pro. Torps

I could switch it for Plasma Torps. or Ion Torps... I don't know if that would really be much of an improvement