Initial thoughts about The Doom of Fallowheart and implications for the future

By Moxel, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

So I bought the book yesterday and have already read it. I do have to say I like it and it’s going to be interesting to see if the story will affect the upcoming Descent Legends in the Dark. Without going into spoiler territory I wouldn’t be all that surprised if they followed the same timeline as the novel.

I had my doubts on the whole quality of it, but so far i must concede that the story is quite interesting and well written. I do really enjoy to read it and have a lot of fun by doing so.
In the same way as It goes for Drizzt do'urden or the Ultramarines it is so great to see a world that you appreciate coming to life.

Yeah, I agree. I was really excited when another hero from the games entered the story.

For those of you that wonder more about the novel and plot line all I can say is that the story evolves around the four heroes from the Labyrinth of Ruin campaign. The baroness of Highmont calls for them in order to find here missing daughter.

12 hours ago, Tintaglia said:

I had my doubts on the whole quality of it, but so far i must concede that the story is quite interesting and well written. I do really enjoy to read it and have a lot of fun by doing so.
In the same way as It goes for Drizzt do'urden or the Ultramarines it is so great to see a world that you appreciate coming to life.

I'm glad they are doing novels too as I like the story aspect of the game- and as a fan campaign designer the joy of telling your own stories of legend with it

If you enjoy tales told of Terrinoth there's a quite deep storyline to my fan project for second edition, this part won't be coming for a while as this is the intro to the fifth darkness adventure where my once small now epic project began but if you've not yet checked it out it gives quite a nice flavour of the project (which has evolved a lot since I wrote this but this will still be the beginnings of the fifth darkness part):

https://adobe.ly/2GxF9yr

I'm currently working on the first darkness part which is where all the evils begin, with a few surprises thrown into the mix, the writer-creative in me might cave and end up going down that dodgy alleyway of fan fiction as I'm getting excited for what will happen in my own tales, which is a weird phenomenon of being a writer / artist- you can strangely be just as excited for the outcome as you would be as audience :) or I might just stick to the bits that are the glue of my fan made campaigns... I'll have a similar story intro for the first darkness part soon.

Waiting for my physical copy of the new official novel, but having read the excerpt given to promote it on Aconyte's website can certainly see me collecting the future novels- it is looking like being a good trove of tales of Terrinoth.

I will definitevely have look at your masterpiece :)

20 minutes ago, Tintaglia said:

I will definitevely have look at your masterpiece :)

It's not had the full proofreading/revision yet but it is the complete intro to that part

Perhaps a separate spoilers thread for those that want to discuss it, or update the title of this one if folk want to talk wide open about it here?

At least what we can say is that the time line has advanced. Logan Ashley is a veteran now and is no more as fit for delving in adventures as he was in the past (Actually i even don't understand why he would be considered as a Hero. The guy is a total Fraud).
This change of timeline makes me think that we are going to a New Edition.
Ulma is described as an alchemist, i think she is, but what puzzled me is that animal that nullify magic. That kind of capacity didn't exist formerly, right ?

^ warning slightly spoilers ^ - oh too late :)

I haven't read the book.

As for an animal that nulifies magic that did remind me of the Lion of Frostagate from Runebound 2nd edition:

image.jpeg.79be0a1d3bcc85e942617566a2722b46.jpeg

Although not Descent, it is still Terrinoth. So it exists in some fashion in Terrinoth.

@ Doctor Stuff : interesting.

So i finished the book, i must say that i enjoyed it. Classic Fantasy, it matched what i expected for a Terrinoth Novel. The story is very action driven, so not boring at all, there is always something on the fire. The plot is sufficiently well written that you don't immediatly guess what is going on, so you feel the urge to push further the reading to discover more clues. The whole story is quite more dark and oppressive than i would have expected for Terrinoth Universe, which is not a drawback in the end. So i would definitevely recommend it for those who seek action and adventure in a High Fantasy World.
I think the book must be some kind of introduction to a grander narrative arc. Indeed one of the last sentences of the book is something like ( no spoiler at all ;) ): Terrinoth will certainly need all his heroes in a close future.

I have one unique regret and that is the lack of lore when it comes to the description of the Barony and Terrinoth in general. Even if here and there you have some hints, it lacks something more descriptive on that regard (economics, politics, geography, history, folklore,...). Indeed when you finish the book you can ask yourself what you learned about Terrinoth, and the answer is : not much.