Hyperdrive ring (Eta-2 Actis Expansion Pack) questions.

By Ruguillano, in X-Wing Rules Questions

As we can see in this article: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2020/10/7/push-the-limit/ the hyperdrive ring seen in the movies and series will finally come to the game. After i read the card i have some questions:

"While you execute a maneuver, reduce its speed to 1" - Does this mean that don't mind which speed you select you always will move at 1 speed while docked?

"While a ship is docked with you, you gain that ship's initiative and are assigned that ship's dial" - What about the attacking value? The way I read the text the ship will not be able to attack since the "carrier ship" is the hyperdrive ring and it has not any attack value.

If the ring is destroyed while a ship is docked with it do we have to apply the "carrier ship destroyed" rules and attempt a emergency deploy suffering a critical damage?

Edited by Ruguillano
7 hours ago, Ruguillano said:

As we can see in this article: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2020/10/7/push-the-limit/ the hyperdrive ring seen in the movies and series will finally come to the game. After i read the card i have some questions:

"While you execute a maneuver, reduce its speed to 1" - Does this mean that don't mind which speed you select you always will move at 1 speed while docked?

"While a ship is docked with you, you gain that ship's initiative and are assigned that ship's dial" - What about the attacking value? The way I read the text the ship will not be able to attack since the "carrier ship" is the hyperdrive ring and it has not any attack value.

If the ring is destroyed while a ship is docked with it do we have to apply the "carrier ship destroyed" rules and attempt a emergency deploy suffering a critical damage?

1. Yes

2. The ring has no attack value and it doesn't say to adopt the docked ship's value; you cannot attack.

3. As far as we know currently, yes, you would emergency deploy, but that doesn't mean you suffer a critical damage, it means you're dealt 1 damage card

1 hour ago, Innese said:

3. As far as we know currently, yes, you would emergency deploy, but that doesn't mean you suffer a critical damage, it means you're dealt 1 damage card

You're thinking of X-Wing 1.0, in second edition the ship suffers 1 crit damage when emergency deploying.

If a carrier ship is destroyed, before the carrier is removed from the play area, any docked ships can emergency deploy from their carrier. A docked ship performs an emergency deploy similar to deploying, as described above, except the ship first suffers 1 crit damage and after executing the maneuver, does not have the opportunity to perform an action.

**** i hate this forum system!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Correct. The hyperspace ring only moves at speed 1.

While a ship is docked with you, you gain that ship's initiative and are assigned that ship's dial" - What about the attacking value? The way I read the text the ship will not be able to attack since the "carrier ship" is the hyperdrive ring and it has not any attack value

Nope. No attack value. You also do not gain the pilot ability, force charges, action bar, or upgrades as the ship itself would then technically be in reserve and the control link rings are treated as the 'mothership'.

Yes. I mean it makes sense since the rings would be destroyed while attached to the ship, or close enough to it to do damage.

Also note, information ive heard is that these rings are only for Epic play, and not expanded/tournament legal.

Edited by Lyianx
This forum system sucks when dealing with quotes.

Yeah to clarify, in the announcement stream a while back, FFG confirmed the ring is only for casual/epic/scenario play.

So rules-wise, it won't come up much.

20 minutes ago, InterceptorMad said:

Yeah to clarify, in the announcement stream a while back, FFG confirmed the ring is only for casual/epic/scenario play.

So rules-wise, it won't come up much.

6 hours ago, Lyianx said:

Also note, information ive heard is that these rings are only for Epic play, and not expanded/tournament legal.

That makes sense. It do not find it a useful feature in a tournament or league game.

Thanks everybody!

5 hours ago, Ruguillano said:

That makes sense. It do not find it a useful feature in a tournament or league game.

Thanks everybody!

Yeah, in Non-epic format (heck even in standard 3x3 play area games) its too cumbersome to be of any use, and too vulnerable to not just get blown up unless its being used in a 6x3 area with 400+ points worth of other targets too pick from. It just seems to be mainly a thematic thing to have fun with in scenario plays.

3 hours ago, Lyianx said:

Yeah, in Non-epic format (heck even in standard 3x3 play area games) its too cumbersome to be of any use, and too vulnerable to not just get blown up unless its being used in a 6x3 area with 400+ points worth of other targets too pick from. It just seems to be mainly a thematic thing to have fun with in scenario plays.

I mean... in standard play, it would just be an upgrade you'd use to deploy outside of your standard zone, then you'd ditch it in round one. After that, who cares what happens to the ring? You've already paid the points for it as part of your ship, and you lose nothing if it gets destroyed. I don't think it would be a detriment to standard play, and it could lead to some amusing hit-and-run style gaming.

But I'm not terribly worried about the ring NOT being legal for standard play, either. Just another gimmick for more play options (plus it looks really snazzy, too)

Just to clarify, that 1 critical damage from emergency deployment doesn’t necessarily mean a damage card is dealt. If the deploying ship has shields (which the Eta-2 doesn’t, but the Delta-7 does), it just causes you to lose a shield. Correct?

19 hours ago, emeraldbeacon said:

After that, who cares what happens to the ring? You've already paid the points for it as part of your ship, and you lose nothing if it gets destroyed.

I'm curious about this. Will it be an upgrade? Or will it be its own separate ship? Perhaps you could score 12 points (or whatever it's worth) when you destroy it. If that is the case, I'd almost be fine with it in standard play.

7 hours ago, Cpt ObVus said:

Just to clarify, that 1 critical damage from emergency deployment doesn’t necessarily mean a damage card is dealt. If the deploying ship has shields (which the Eta-2 doesn’t, but the Delta-7 does), it just causes you to lose a shield. Correct?

Correct. If it was going to bybass shields the words that would have been used would have been along the lines "dealt a damage card".

Edited by 5050Saint
23 minutes ago, 5050Saint said:

I'm curious about this. Will it be an upgrade? Or will it be its own separate ship? Perhaps you could score 12 points (or whatever it's worth) when you destroy it. If that is the case, I'd almost be fine with it in standard play.

I would think it will be its own thing and not an upgrade, similar to the Nashtah Pup, given it has its own 'pilot' card. He's probably referring to 'part of your ship' in a similar way that you pay for a docked ship as 'part of your ship' like with the VCX or Scum Falcon.

4 hours ago, Lyianx said:

I would think it will be its own thing and not an upgrade, similar to the Nashtah Pup, given it has its own 'pilot' card. He's probably referring to 'part of your ship' in a similar way that you pay for a docked ship as 'part of your ship' like with the VCX or Scum Falcon.

I was under the impression that the upgrade card granted the carrier ship the ring... but the more I look at it, the more it seems like the seems like the TransGalMeg Control Link (that name is a mouthful) is an entity unto itself (not quite a ship, not quite a device), rather than just an upgrade. I'm assuming this is the first "Structure" of the game, which is probably how it will be kept out of standard play: no structures allowed, same as no huge ships or command upgrades.

The Syliure-31 Hyperdrive instead seems to be a new upgrade type, that specifically attaches to that ring, and allows its unique deployment. Perhaps we may see different Syliure-class hyperspace rings (like the six-engined model from Episode 3), or different hyperdrive modifications in the future.

swz79_transgalmeg-control-link.png . swz79_syliure-31_hyperdrive.png

Exactly. The ring itself is its own thing, just able to give starting position to multiple ships, rather than specifying an ability or single upgrade to one ship. This more or less gives Han Solo's (resistance) ability to the Jedi, while having a little bit of position tweaking on the first round before detaching and leaving it to its fate and letting the smaller ships do what they will.

You could shoot the ring if you have nothing better to do i guess, but its primary use is during setup, so once thats burned out, it more or less becomes a hindrance so your enemy wont really gain much advantage by destroying it, other than getting it out of the way of for overlap sake.

To me, this feels Far more of a "here is something you can play with for scenarios" kind of a thing, which i think is really cool. Id still like to make a HotAC but for Clone Wars era, and this would be a fun thing to include in that. Where as normal ships can hyper out, if you pick one of those three ships, sure its powerful in combat, but you need to worry about keeping the ring intact and get to it in order to safely leave the area. That kind of thing. Not everything needs to be tournament competitive and i like that FFG includes scenario driven items like this :)

3 hours ago, Lyianx said:

You could shoot the ring if you have nothing better to do i guess, but its primary use is during setup, so once thats burned out, it more or less becomes a hindrance so your enemy wont really gain much advantage by destroying it, other than getting it out of the way of for overlap sake.

If it does count as a structure (as I'm inclined to believe it will be), then it starts to open up some effects connected to certain upgrades, like the upcoming talent Marg Sabl Closure , which lets a ship throw out strain tokens if it moves through a huge ship, obstacle, or structure .

On 10/9/2020 at 8:10 PM, emeraldbeacon said:

If it does count as a structure (as I'm inclined to believe it will be), then it starts to open up some effects connected to certain upgrades, like the upcoming talent Marg Sabl Closure , which lets a ship throw out strain tokens if it moves through a huge ship, obstacle, or structure .

In the GenCon stream, Max says on two separate occasions that the Ring is a ship. It could still be structure, but I won't e surprised if it isn't.