Move/Reveal

By psmythirl, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

Probably a dumb question but I can't seem to find anything definitive anywhere ...

When moving to a location, is the location revealed first, and then you move onto the location, or do you move onto the location, and then it is revealed?

I suspect the second but can't find confirmation. The nub of the question is, for the revelation effect, are you considered in the location you are moving from, or the location you are moving to?

15 minutes ago, psmythirl said:

The nub of the question is, for the revelation effect, are you considered in the location you are moving from, or the location you are moving to?

I don't think it is explicitly spelled out in the rules anywhere. The Learn to Play Guide states: "... the location is turned to its revealed side when an investigator moves to it." The use of when could be construed as interrupting the move. However, I don't think this is intentional and I believe the intended order is (1) move to a location and then (2) reveal it. This is based on the fact that Act 2b (v.1) of The Unspeakable Oath looks like it would have problems if the "reveal first then move" interpretation is used.

Did you have a specific case in mind? I could only find two examples of where the order matters: one in Return to Blood on the Altar and one in The Unspeakable Oath .

Sorry I don't have a definitive answer but it certainly isn't a dumb question!

Where it matters is if there is a revelation effect involving a test (e.g. Field of Graves). If the order is 'reveal and then move' then an investigator in the same location as the mover can contribute a card to the test, otherwise they can't.

Don’t worry about dumb questions this is the internet.

“Any time an entity moves, it is considered to leave the previous location, and to enter the new location, simultaneously.”

“The first time a location is entered by an investigator, that location is revealed by turning it to its other side and placing a number of clues on it equal to its clue value (this may occur during setup). Most clue values are conveyed as a "per investigator" value.”

• So you move your mini card to the new location.
  • You turn over the location to its revealed side.
  • You place any clues required on the location.
  • You read the text on the card and resolve any revelation effects or other mandatory effects.

Thanks AC, that's what I was looking for.