Way of the Dragon + Twin Stream Style

By MirumotoOrashu, in Rules Questions

So I was looking around for a kata to buy for my Mirumoto bushi when I saw Twin Stream Style in PoW.

For those who don't have the book it says: if I attack with a sword or axe, if I have the same category readied, I can spend two opportunity to add the second weapons deadlines to a critical strike.

Now I wonder if I can combo this with way of the dragon.

As Way only says you can't use your secondary weapon for attack actions until your next turn if you used it to Ward or Trap, but technically I do not choose it to attack with twin streams. Or does that count as "choosing it for an attack action"?

Example in action;

- Mirumoto is equipped with classic katana and wakizashi.

- Mirumoto is attacked by bandit and choose to use Way of the Dragon with wakizashi.

- Mirumoto attacks with katana and crits.

Can he use Twin Stream Style to raise the critical with another 5 with the wakizashi?

Edited by MirumotoOrashu

The rules per se don’t specify that you actually attacked with the other weapon but the fluff just before that implies that was indeed what happened. I would argue that you can’t use the wakizashi to attack on that turn with the kata if you used ward or trap before on the turn (basically you can do both if you win the initiative). But that’s just me trying to find a middle of the road solution for this.

Edited by Diogo Salazar

Tbh I wouldn’t allow it

this seems to go counter to RAI. I would maybe, MAYBE allow it for a rank 6 swordsman instead of using the mastery ability since it would be somewhat in tune with what they were going for but not earlier

Occam’s razor about the rules : way of the dragon forbids you using your 2nd weapon for an attack action, twin stream activates for attack action, ergo you’re trying to use your 2nd weapon as a part of an attack action, which is forbidden

that’s how I interpret it

I would agree. Would like to think of it like I am "choosing the secondary weapon" for the opportunity.

So agreeing with you two that it goes against the intent of the rules.

We had Max Brooke(Lead developer of the game) respond to this question on the L5R Discord server. He said that RAW it's okay and he doesn't see an issue with it. But he would understand if a table ruled otherwise. I would allow it because there's just not much benefit to ACTUALLY using two swords as a Mirumoto without it as opposed to sword and bare hand.

Edited by Ruffles240