Elrath paints LOTR

By Elrath', in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

Yeah, another painting thread. Why not?

I've painted LOTR figures mostly based on Sorastro's LOTR tutorials although I don't have the specific paints and I've painted with whatever I happen to have. Which is mostly Citadel and some Army Painter. With the Shadowed Paths, I've done the whole process myself. This is the first hero (of the expansion) I painted: Eleanor.

eleanor.jpg

eleanor_back.jpg

I'm fairly happy with it. The blade didn't turn out so good. It looks good from a normal gaming distance but up close...eugh. Should have probably gone with the more traditional steel look. The contrast thing didn't end up look good. Another thing is the face where I had some trouble because my Cadian Fleshtone is drying up. I'm honestly surprised it has stayed good this long since the paint is from 2016. But it left a small mark on her cheek that altered the texture and made subsequent layers act weird.

I also speedpainted the Nameless things. I'm not a huge fan of these figures or the monster itself so I decided to just wetblend some colors. I had this vision of dark creatures with color highlight to make them easily identifiable. Should have probably painted in graytone and used washes to tint them. But I went with three different gradients. Still, it probably took longer for the paint to try than to actually paint these and they look good enough. The rocks I wetblended as well. Army Painter's Necromancer Cloak, then Citadel's Dawnstone and Dawnstone + Screaming Skull. Just a mesh of these, rough drybrush with Longbeard Grey and Nuln Oil wash on top.

eleanor_nameless_things.jpg

nameless_things.jpg

I'm moving on to the cave trolls or the ghosts/wraiths. Those would be a good candidates to try some ghosts effects like ethereal green.

Edited by Elrath'
Linked images showed in wrong size. Relinked them

Lookin' good! 😎

Finally managed to get another figure done. Been so busy lately. Here's one of the cave trolls:

cave_troll.jpg

cave_troll_back.jpg

This one I went with mostly the same color scheme as the hill troll. For the second cave troll, I think I'm going to try more monochrome gray and darker leather and maybe try to get the bone club to have more contrast. I think that's going to be an interesting challenge. I think I could have painted few areas a bit better but overall I'm really happy with how this figure turned out.

Second cave troll painted. I wanted to use a more movie color scheme with this one but it turned out too ash colored. Also, I limited myself to just Army Painter paints with this one, except the base and washes. Mostly to just test them. Can't say I'm a fan but no Vallejo in stores here and Army Painter is a lot cheaper than Citadel. Plus it comes in dropper bottles.

cave_troll_gray_front.jpg

cave_troll_gray.jpg

But in general I think it's nice that each troll looks unique but still have a similar theme going with colors and all. So, I'm happy with these. :)

trolls.jpg

It's been a while since I posted. And this may very well be my last post given that the forums are closing down. I finally finished painting all the heroes. I had just four left in the expansion. Here they are:

exp_heroes1.jpg

exp_heroes2.jpg

Also, painted the wights or bonemen or whatever they're called. With them I wanted to try painting them as ghosts. They're all a bit different. One is greenish with green glow inside. One is cyan-blue and then goes to greenish with no inner glow. And one I tried to paint like it's made of blue flame. I'm not sure which of them I like the most. None of them exactly turned out as I hoped but at the same time I'm happy how they turned out.

bonemen.jpg

bonemen2.jpg

Also, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone. It's been fun over the years I've been part of this community. People have been friendly, offered lots of feedback, awesome photos of their paintings and good advice whether it be for painting or gameplay. I started painting miniatures because of the painting topics in the Imperial Assault forums. It gave me a whole new way to enjoy the board games. And for that and the community, it's such a shame to see the forums go but I guess there's an end to all things.

Thank you, everyone, for these fantastic years.

amazingly fun work!!