Tyrants of Ruin Starting Space

By Schmiegel, in Arkham Horror

In setting up the Tyrants of Ruin scenario last night I found the Starting Space on the scenario card listed as the General Store. That neighborhood doesn't even exist on this particular map. It turns out it's supposed to be the Gilman House. Considering all the different people involved in the project, including play testers, proofreaders and an editor, it's alarming to consider how many such a huge, glaring error got past.. Isn't that one basically the signature scenario for the entire expansion? I shudder to think about how many other errors may lurk within. Not a huge confidence builder as far as the overall credibility of the product. It's reminiscent of past FFG disasters, such as the now legendary Descent Quest Compendium.

16 hours ago, Schmiegel said:

In setting up the Tyrants of Ruin scenario last night I found the Starting Space on the scenario card listed as the General Store. That neighborhood doesn't even exist on this particular map. It turns out it's supposed to be the Gilman House. Considering all the different people involved in the project, including play testers, proofreaders and an editor, it's alarming to consider how many such a huge, glaring error got past.. Isn't that one basically the signature scenario for the entire expansion? I shudder to think about how many other errors may lurk within. Not a huge confidence builder as far as the overall credibility of the product. It's reminiscent of past FFG disasters, such as the now legendary Descent Quest Compendium.

Reminds me of the printing error in Game of Thrones Catan where they misprinted the building costs on the player reference. And their response is no, they won't replace, here's a pdf to print out and stick an ugly label on the component, forget how much money it cost to buy the game. I've been very disappointed in FFG since Asmodee took over.

That said, it's a surprise that a mistake like that got past play testing since you need that info to set up, probably they changed something during testing and sent the wrong version of the documents to the printers.

To follow through, I finished the Tyrants of Ruin scenario tonight. I thought it was really fun and well done! The designer did a great job. About the only thing I didn't appreciate about Arkham Horror Second Edition was the lack of a cohesive narrative to underlie the great game play. That gap has been neatly filled with the mechanism of the codex and custom decks for the scenarios, along with the scenario specific monsters and event cards embedded in the neighborhood decks. So now you get a great feel for a coherent story, and I love that. This scenario really provided an interesting story line that constantly wove in the disturbing feel of Innsmouth.

It must be the easiest scenario of perhaps the whole collection, because I nearly won! Without revealing spoilers, Kate Winthrop, Father Mateo and Silas Marsh fought gamely to prevent the Tyrants from exerting their will. Eventually Silas went down with his ship (or so he thought....it's not clear what happened, as he went insane). Michael McGlen was recruited in the 11th hour to replace him and was nearly able to save the day with his Ol' Boiler and Chicago Typewriter.

Ultimately it came down to the Headline deck running out of cards and then I drew two headline mythos tokens that sealed the investigators' fate. The final one came up on the third to last token draw, with the odds 2 out of 13 of drawing that token on that turn...with a win beckoning just over the horizon. Disappointing, yes, but the kind of game that makes you want to return to the decaying, seaside village.