Kensai question

By FelixFenix, in Lore Discussion

Besides the Lion and the Dragon does any of the other Clans have a Kensai tradition? I think the Scorpion do but I’m not 100% sure.

Some of the Bitter lies did do kensai stuff, the Mantis did double weapons too.

45 minutes ago, FelixFenix said:

Besides the Lion and the Dragon does any of the other Clans have a Kensai tradition? I think the Scorpion do but I’m not 100% sure.

What do you mean when you say Kensai? Way back in Oriental Adventures, it was explained as a "Sword Saint" - someone who spent their time perfecting the art of the blade. In which case I would absolutely add the Kakita to your list. In some ways, I feel that the Lion aren't as strong on it as some, and Mantis double weapons don't count. I would agree on Bitter Lies after a fashion - they tried to perfect their art of the sword but were just lucky not skillful - although we have no evidence of it existing in this timeline.

But previous editions of L5R kind of used it as 'someone who knows lots of kata', which I suppose is something the Lion do.

Yes, the Kakita and Mirumoto are given.

I was thinking more on the lines of creating a school to pursue and hone their skills with the sword, like the Akodo Kensai and Scorpion Bitter Lies dojos...

1 hour ago, FelixFenix said:

Yes, the Kakita and Mirumoto are given.

I was thinking more on the lines of creating a school to pursue and hone their skills with the sword, like the Akodo Kensai and Scorpion Bitter Lies dojos...

The thing about Bitter Lies is that it was actually a joke that some people took too seriously. Tangen's sword techniques, honed as they are, don't work . He's just insanely lucky. That being said, their are a number of Scorpion 'enforcers' mentioned, who'll go round and challenge people who are messing with Scorpion interests by trying to muscle in on organised crime, or getting into a trade war or poaching merchants or peasants.

To me, the kensai concept is almost antithetical to the Lion. Akodo stressed the need to be flexible and able to be a warrior in every situation with any weapon. Someone who devotes his life to the sword has failed his duty in being a thoroughly rounded warrior.

kensai is really a title of honor that can be applied to any master sword wielder so long as they're recognized so clan is more or less irrelevant to it. some clans will give more respect to its bearer that's all

the association with the lion is because in earlier eds they had a kensai path (class)