Formations in 6 player game

By Zura, in X-Wing

Hello. I dived back into x-wing a little bit recently, and one of the first thing i did was to get the epic expansion and conversion sets. We used to play a lot of 6-player epic back in the day (3 people per side, 600 1st edition points per side), and to my suprise, there are only tools to make 4 formations out of the box. Is second box mandatory for 6 player (everyone is using my stuff), or are 4 formations enough for 6 player in your experience? They seem like they can really speed the game up. Also, what scenarios do you think are the most fun for 6/4 people playing, preferably in teams? Cheers :)

I played a bunch of bigger size games.

generally try and limit the points and ship count. Time it takes to play longer games scales something like 1:1.25 past 200 points.

scenarios and capture points that force people to spread out seem more epic. Though they also slow things down. A massive cluster might be fast but also a little boring.

To answer that I have to ask a question of how many points do you plan on running in the new edition for epic? Like if your old games were double standard cost but per player, then I'm assuming you want to do that again. So like 1200pts/team, and 400pts/player. Ajay are you planning on players having huge ships at all.

The rules don't require each tool to stay with a particular wing. It's only a matter of convenience to have one for each. Technically it's only used for the movement stage and then removed But many wing setups can get expensive in a hurry anyway, so how often you need done is an issue. Plus once things start dying it becomes much easier to pass around.

8 hours ago, ForceSensitive said:

To answer that I have to ask a question of how many points do you plan on running in the new edition for epic? Like if your old games were double standard cost but per player, then I'm assuming you want to do that again. So like 1200pts/team, and 400pts/player. Ajay are you planning on players having huge ships at all.

The rules don't require each tool to stay with a particular wing. It's only a matter of convenience to have one for each. Technically it's only used for the movement stage and then removed But many wing setups can get expensive in a hurry anyway, so how often you need done is an issue. Plus once things start dying it becomes much easier to pass around.

Yeah, 1200/team sounds about right. The thing isn't about the formation tools but formation cards and tokens, although i guess those could be proxied (the rulebook says that it even reccomends using max 3 formations with only 1 copy of expansion to avoid using core set ID tokens with the 4th formation). We're planning to be running huge ships, 1 per side.

10 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

I played a bunch of bigger size games.

generally try and limit the points and ship count. Time it takes to play longer games scales something like 1:1.25 past 200 points.

scenarios and capture points that force people to spread out seem more epic. Though they also slow things down. A massive cluster might be fast but also a little boring.

Thanks, capture points sound like something we haven't played before. Reasonably long games don't scare me that much, but it's good to know of the scaling.