Character background Problem

By copperbell, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

When does providing character background become a problem for GMs?

Been getting odd replies to my efforts at character background and wanted to know if there's any do's and don't's regarding this?

If you provide too much information, you might overload the GM and they end up frustrated with too much to go through. Stuff inevitably slips through the cracks, and then you're disappointed that this little detail didn't come up in the game.
Or your backstory has your character doing way too much stuff before they start adventuring, to the point where they shouldn't really be a starting-level character.
And try not to waffle too much once you've proposed a concept to the GM. An occasional tweak is fine, or if you realize it isn't what you want to go with, something completely different, but don't waffle, and make the minimum number of changes necessary once you've proposed something.

There are a variety of potential issues with character background, I don't know what if any are the case in your situation as I haven't studied it all that closely. This is all more general advice, so don't take any of this as a diagnosis.

First a disclaimer: different strokes for different folks. Different methods may work for different groups, and some may not work at all with what I'm suggesting. This is just from my experience as a GM and player, which in turn was influenced by advice I received from others.
My advice as a background-heavy GM is to (as a general rule) give:

1. A mystery, quest, or recurring opponent.
2. Information about the character's family.
3. A couple potential NPCs (family or otherwise, ally or foe).
4. A history of the character, consistent with XP level, that sets up their Motivations and Obligations (or Morality/Duty if using those mechanics).
5. Make sure something of the above gives a good reason for going adventuring.
6. Try to write it as a narrative, and try not to meander. If you write it in chronological order, it'll be easier to read, understand, and absorb. If you jump around, it'll be much more confusing.

Then discuss it with the GM and work out the individual points, being prepared for their feedback and suggestions. If you write out something really long, ask them if it's too much. They may not want to say "Oh, that's waaayy to much." but asking them if it is may trigger them to tell you, which would hopefully improve the experience for all involved.

One way to go about it is to write a shorter backstory, either in bullet-points or simply an abridged narrative, to give to the players and GM, offering the fully-filled out backstory if they are interested. If they aren't, you can still write out every facet of your character's past for your own enjoyment. I do a lot of "off the clock" thinking about my characters, and I write down a lot of that even if I never intend to share it.

That's really hard to answer, because it really depends upon the group as a whole, but also the GM and the type of campaign the group is going to play.

I would suggest discussing it with your GM to see why they are giving you those responses.

It may be that they feel your background is too disruptive to their campaign. Maybe they are uncertain how to work it in.

It could be that they feel the background stretches beyond what they feel makes sense.

So go straight to the source, and ask them.

However, you should go into the conversation with an open mind. Ask the GM for suggestions on how you can modify your background to better suit the campaign.

Cheers!

I have tried but what feedback I've had has me more confused.

My initial problem is the character I originally came up with was based around a character from Star Wars Rebels.

When it came to the first session I went with my character was raised in the Empire until her parents divorced and she left with her father when he was kicked out because his ex-wife's family didn't want reminders of their relationship.

My character took with her what was thought a child's toy but it turned out to be a data archive belonging to the said character from Rebels involving his activities during the Clone Wars.

Using that information they managed to make a livelihood, but it drew attention and someone claiming to be part of his ex-wife's family contacted them.

This turned out to be a trick resulting in a fight that spilled out in the street outside after he ordered his daughter to flee.

(Edit: I overlooked that the contact called in backup which is the third I mentioned below)

All three were arrested but disappeared on their way to lock up and a neighbor helped her get off world after getting alarmed upon discovering her father disappeared.

This eventually led her to the HWK-270 Freighter Eastwood and the other PCs.

However I tried to fine tune this giving more information about her father as well as how and why he ended up where he was all making it clear his campaign takes priority so he could change what he wanted.

This ultimately led to a "What Naomi Actually Knows" word file to keep it simple but I can't help feeling I'm missing something which explains the confusion I'm getting in response.

EDIT: I've sent him an email to the effect of checking to see if there's anything else he needs other than the "What Naomi Actually Knows" word file and will wait for his reply.

The next session is a little over two weeks away so there should be plenty of time to clear this up.

Thanks and I'd appreciate any further advice in the meantime in case you can pin down what I'm missing here.

Edited by copperbell
Updated

Ouch!

Yeah, that seems a bit harsh on the GM's part, but it sounds like they have a specific vision for the campaign.

At this point, it really sounds like they want all the creative responsibility, but a game should be collaborative.

I'm not sure why they feel that way, as it puts more work on them.

I don't know if your campaign had a "Session Zero", but if it did, this is the sort of thing that should have been discussed.

In a Session Zero, the GM needs to set the players' expectations, along with discussing character creation and backgrounds.

I wasn't involved in his game at that time.

From what I learned prior to the first session they had at least 2 or more sessions before my character joined in thanks to online play.

Its still early days for my character so I'm trying to find out what I can and can't do with this and don't want to go too far with this.

The game is set 30 years after the OT based on a d6 star wars game I played an engineer in before spending a few years away from any role playing.

I don't all the details and for the most part I don't need to know but I'm struggling which is why I started some threads here and on the Age of Rebellion and Star Wars rpg reddit to get help how to play an ambassador.

Attached below is the word file I mentioned please let me know if anything sticks out as a problem to you.

Thanks in advance!

WHAT NAOMI KNOWS.docx

Edited by copperbell

Did I miss something when you edited your post? I don't see anything about what the GM said or did.

The backstory sounds fine to me. As GM, I'd probably try and drill down the specifics a bit more, but that hits pretty much all of the points I look for.

Got a reply back it's looking more like a mix up in communication and the fact he wasn't expecting me to reply that many times!

Hopefully this means Matthew Broderick as an Imperial Officer is a nemesis for my character which is GREAT!

Not sure he'll take my suggestion about the cybernetic eye piece though!

Will update once I know more, or after the next session middle of this month!