Help with DT-29

By ken2, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Hello,

I'm creating a npc, who may sometimes help or hurt my players. Her ethics are like Hondo's to Star Wars heroes, but she is a noble not a pirate. No fan of the Empire for knocking down the Noble Class, but also not for people having freedom. Why could the Empire just not be a Monarchy, Rebels?

To give her something to stand out, I was thinking of her using a DT-29 as her sidearm. She was taught shooting at a very early age and is still a top shot and hunter, so no little hold out blaster for this lady. Also she was taught and goes by the idea, if one can not bring down the target with one shot, one should not shoot. Wiki and Battlefronts say the DT-29 does heavy damage but only six shots. She could use this, Target the girl, she just has six shots. Her answer, " I only need one for you."

My problem is since known as Krennic's blaster and the only character known to use it, the stats for the DT-29 listed for him do not look right for me. Except for saying nonregulation, the stats are just the same as for any heavy blaster. She would not own a generic blaster.

Maybe boosting damage to 8 over the standard 7 and adding limited ammo 6. Or, could be like the Nova Viper with damage 7, and accurate and pierce to add to the damage. The DT-29 she uses would also have to be superior. Any ideas on new stats for the DT-29?

Thanks.

I’d go with a dueling pistol for your noble.

Dueling pistol, or feel free to homebrew something up (probably using the Dueling pistol as a base) if you don't think a dueling pistol with mods is enough.

Thinking of the dueling pistol as a base with some changes. Being a one shot, one kill is in line with the character, but not going to a shoot out with only shot. Since said had only 6 shots, will do limited ammo 6. Also uping the range to medium. The blaster is said to be a powerful heavy blaster but wondering if damage 9, accurate, and pierce maybe to much?

Really, whatever you think is the limit for you game is up to you. I would just say the one thing to be aware of, if you're making a totally new weapon (and not just slapping attachments onto an existing weapon) is that players very often have a, "Keep what you kill," mentality. For this reason, you want to make sure whatever you're making is balanced for them as well, otherwise you're going to hate yourself for giving it to them.

This is all my personal opinion: Looking more closely at the DT-29, I think a normal heavy blaster pistol is just fine. The higher possibility of running out of ammo on a check serves as the ammo limitation, and the gun honestly doesn't seem that much stronger than any other stock heavy pistol. And 9 damage, plus pierce, plus accuracy, and having more than one shot... well that's alot (it's almost the same as your average rifle). I would also assume the crit is at worst 3. Anyone can spend a destiny point to suddenly have an extra reload for when they run out of ammo, so if your resident gunslinger player gets ahold of that thing, they're going to shred alot of competition, especially as they modify it further to their liking.

If you were to use attachments to change it up, however, for the extra damage I would recommend putting a Blaster Adulating Module for the damage and pierce, and then a Custom Grip to undo the BAM's automatic setback and add accuracy.

Again, it's your preference. I love making my players feel strong, but I also make sure to limit it at times, and ensure the same dirty tricks aren't going to work over and over again, and that if I throw something strong at them that you would consider "GM hands only" whether for the time being or forever, I make sure there's a reason why they can't take it, or use it for abit.

Final thing: don't base everything off of a wiki page. While lore is important, don't let it screw with in-game mechanics because, boy, do many things in the lore make no sense what so ever. And besides, mechanics are second to the story. Overall, just do whatever you think is most balanced for your group, and don't hold yourself to the letter on a weapons in-lore description when it comes to mechanics.