New to the game, Imp help?

By cdavis89, in Army Building

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I recently picked up Krennic, and am at least looking to pick up a box of Shoretroopers soon.

Here is the list I am currently looking at, but I have no idea how viable it is.

790/800

Krennic -- Strict Orders (95)

Veers -- Commanding Presence (85)

Boba Fett -- Hunter, Targeting Scopes (150)

Stormtroopers -- DLT-19 Stormtrooper (68)

Snowtroopers -- Snowtrooper (60)

Death Troopers -- DLT-19D Trooper, Overwatch, Recon Intel, E-11D Focused Fire Config (124)

Speeder Bikes -- Long--Range Comlink (80)

On 10/2/2020 at 1:09 PM, costi said:

RBBWW with surge to crit is definitely not abut the same as a unit of stormtroopers...

Stormtroopersx4 with an RT97 do RWWWWWWW with surge to hit and dont have cumbersome

So youre right, its definitely not the same, the Stormtroopers actually roll more hits on average and dont have cumbersome. Stormtroopers win.

E-webs have to exhaust a generator card just to get a comparable number of hits to the Stormtroopers. But its an exhaust ability and it still has the downside of cumbersome.

E-webs are absolutely terrible. Stormtroopers+RT97 only cost a few points more than an eweb + generator and are not only better on attack and defense but are also way better at capturing objectives (theyre speed 2 not speed 1 with cumbersome).

The only reason to ever take an E-web is for a cheap 10th or 11th activation when youve already maxed out on corps units and strike teams.

Edited by Khobai

Stormtroopers with RT-97C are also not 55 points.

An Eweb with a generator is also not 55 points. Its 62 points. Thats what I was comparing the stormtroopers too because he was taking the generators in his list.

The Stormtroopers with the RT97 are 70 points .

So for 8 more points you get better offense, better defense, lose cumbersome, and better ability to capture objectives.

Even compared to a naked Eweb the Stormtroopers are still way better for 15 points more just for their superior ability at capturing objectives and being able to move and shoot.

literally the only reason to take the Eweb is if youre maxed out on corp units and special forces and only have 55-62 points left and want to squeeze in another activation. Its a good way to add a cheap activation after all your other bases are covered. But the eweb is not something you should be building a lists around because its absolutely awful.

Edited by Khobai
45 minutes ago, Khobai said:

An Eweb with a generator is also not 55 points. Its 62 points. Thats what I was comparing the stormtroopers too because he was taking the generators in his list.

The Stormtroopers with the RT97 are 70 points .

So for 8 more points you get better offense, better defense, lose cumbersome, and better ability to capture objectives.

Even compared to a naked Eweb the Stormtroopers are still way better for 15 points more just for their superior ability at capturing objectives and being able to move and shoot.

literally the only reason to take the Eweb is if youre maxed out on corp units and special forces and only have 55-62 points left and want to squeeze in another activation. Its a good way to add a cheap activation after all your other bases are covered. But the eweb is not something you should be building a lists around because its absolutely awful.

The ewebs do work well with shoretroopers, and a way to get around the cumbersome is with standby. So for 20 points you can upgrade a mortar for the eweb.

50 minutes ago, Khobai said:

The E-Web with generator has better offense. You are thinking of if it has no generator, plus not taking surge to crit into consideration.

51 minutes ago, Khobai said:

But the eweb is not something you should be building a lists around because its absolutely awful.

Like most of your incredibly strongly held opinions that you treat like fact, this is overstated. They are not exactly cutthroat competitive, but they are not awful.

13 hours ago, arnoldrew said:

Like most of your incredibly strongly held opinions that you treat like fact, this is overstated. They are not exactly cutthroat competitive, but they are not awful.

When I played Empire, I won many a game with E-Webs, including an RPQ. They're better than most people give them credit for, and when used correctly, solid backbones to a list.

i didnt say dont use ewebs

i just said dont use them until you fill your corps unit and special forces slots first

the eweb should be treated as a filler unit to fill remaining points in a list. its not good enough to build a list around. because other units are better. its only when youre maxed out on other units that the eweb should be considered.

16 hours ago, arnoldrew said:

The E-Web with generator has better offense. You are thinking of if it has no generator, plus not taking surge to crit into consideration.

Of course I took the ewebs surge to crit into consideration. As well as having the generator. I always take such factors into consideration when meticulously comparing two units.

RWWWWWWW with surge to hit will statistically outperform RBBWW with surge to crit. that is a fact. it is not an opinion.

Stormtroopers with RT97 vs red saving throw in heavy cover = .87 hits
Stormtroopers with RT97 + aim action vs red saving throw in heavy cover = 1.38 hits

Eweb vs red saving throw in heavy cover = .73 hits
Eweb + Barrage Generator vs red saving throw in heavy cover = 1.04 hits
Eweb + Barrage Generator + aim action vs red saving throw in heavy cover = 1.42 hits

The stormtroopers outperform the eweb without the generator. And the E-web has to exhaust its generator to outperform the stormtroopers with an RT97; but using the generator every turn requires a recover action. And if the stormtroopers use their second action to take an aim action they will still outperform the E-web even with the generator. The only time the Eweb comes out ahead is when it uses both the barrage generator and an aim action in the same turn but it can only do that for one turn and it isnt sustainable.

So if youre under the impression the Eweb somehow outperforms Stormtroopers with an RT97 I suggest you go to legion dice simulator and disavow yourself of that falsehood.

Not to mention the Ewebs massive disadvantage of being speed 1 with cumbersome. That is a debilitating weakness which the stormtroopers dont possess.

Its easier for the stormtroopers to benefit from cover than it is for the e-web because of its large base. The stormtroopers are also superior at leapfrogging from cover to cover and shooting on the move because theyre speed 2 and dont have cumbersome. That makes them far better at positioning and capturing objectives which is how you win the game.

Whenever you have the option of choosing stormtroopers over the eweb, the stormtroopers are more than worth the 8 extra points. Just to have speed 2 and not have cumbersome is worth that. But yes the eweb still has value as a filler unit for an extra activation when all your corps and special forces slots are filled, and I have never said anything less. All I said was the eweb isnt good enough to prioritize taking over corps units or special forces units and all the statistical data backs that up. Believe me I want to like the Eweb. But until it gets some way to give itself range 4 its just not that good.

Edited by Khobai

An Eweb can be coordinated by Shoretroopers and get an aim from Linked Targeting Array, leaving it free to recover every turn if needed.

The OP doesnt own shoretroopers though. He owns stormtroopers from the core set. My suggestions are based on what he owns.

Besides if youre using shoretroopers, youre better off just taking a mortar. at least mortars are range 4. range 3 and cumbersome is still the biggest problem with the eweb and theres no way to fix that currently.

And if youre putting generators and linked targeting arrays on the Eweb now its upto 67 points... its not worth it. youre better off spending points making mediocre/good units better than spending points trying to make a bad unit into something mediocre.

An eweb with an aim token and the barrage generator is still only getting 1.42 hits vs a red save unit in heavy cover compared to the stormtroopers with aim which get 1.38 hits. Its barely an advantage over the Stormtroopers. Epecially since it comes with huge disadvantages like speed 1 and cumbersome and its still only range 3.

I mean thats the saddest thing about the eweb its offensive output isnt even good compared to stormtroopers... the e-web is supposed to be a super scary anti-personnel weapon and its just not. The eweb needs a way to get range 4 and it needs something else to make it scarier like barrage, gunslinger, or the saber tanks beam where it can sweep multiple units. It just doesnt feel at all like a heavy machine gun right now.

Edited by Khobai

I agree about the biggest drawback being range.

Still, if you're comparing a 70-point stormtrooper unit I don't see a problem with loading up the eweb with upgrades to make it comparable in cost.

A 67-point Eweb has a slightly higher damage output than a 70-point Stormtrooper unit and on top of that has Suppressive and better anti-armor capability (surge to crit vs surge to hit). That's not bad, the problem is mobilty.

Edited by costi

I ended up picking up Shoretroopers from everyone’s suggestions, thanks for all the help everyone!

On 10/2/2020 at 3:48 PM, cdavis89 said:

Here is the list I am currently looking at, but I have no idea how viable it is.

790/800

Krennic -- Strict Orders (95)

Veers -- Commanding Presence (85)

Boba Fett -- Hunter, Targeting Scopes (150)

Death Troopers -- DLT-19D Trooper, Overwatch, Recon Intel, E-11D Focused Fire Config (124)

Speeder Bikes -- Long--Range Comlink (80)

The biggest issue I see is the snow troopers. Without a heavy weapon they are throwing white dice. With their surge, that’s a 3/8 chance to hit. With 5 dice, you’re not going to see a great attack pool. Snows can aim, move, and shoot in the same turn thanks to steady, which boosts their offense a little. They do really well with a heavy weapon though.

The flamethrower is fantastic. Chances are, you won’t get to use it because your opponent will focus on the unit until the flamethrower is gone. This means that your opponent won’t be focusing on your long ranged stuff as much though. If you do go with the flamethrower, frag grenades are a solid addition to improve the dice on the whole squad at range 1.

If you get ahold of an Imperial Special Forces box, the two characters in that can work well to make potent medium to long range snowtrooper squads. The addition of two red or two black dice to your attack pool is pretty significant.

I’d also add that I don’t think Boba rolls enough dice to warrant targeting scopes. Recon intel to get him a little closer to where he needs to be is phenomenal though.