Cluster Mines

By 5050Saint, in X-Wing Rules Questions

gJhX4Dd.png

Cluster Mines say "When each of these devices detonates, each ship at range 0 rolls 2 attack dice . That ship then suffers 1 HIT/CRIT damage for each matching result."

There is a new FAQ that addresses what happens when a set is dropped on two or more ships. "The owner of the Cluster Mines first chooses one ship to be affected by each of the individual Cluster Mine. Then, in an order of that player's choosing, the dice are rolled to resolve the effect of the detonation on each of those ships."

So if I drop a set of Cluster Mines and Additional Cluster Mine 1 lands on two ships, does it affect both or not?

2 hours ago, 5050Saint said:

gJhX4Dd.png

Cluster Mines say "When each of these devices detonates, each ship at range 0 rolls 2 attack dice . That ship then suffers 1 HIT/CRIT damage for each matching result."

There is a new FAQ that addresses what happens when a set is dropped on two or more ships. "The owner of the Cluster Mines first chooses one ship to be affected by each of the individual Cluster Mine. Then, in an order of that player's choosing, the dice are rolled to resolve the effect of the detonation on each of those ships."

So if I drop a set of Cluster Mines and Additional Cluster Mine 1 lands on two ships, does it affect both or not?

i'm going to say it does not, even though there is some conflicting language where the description of the mine says each ship at range 0 rolls 2 attack dice and suffer the results, it's one ship only. the entry in the FAQ clearly states that one ship is chosen for each mine - and that ship suffers the effects. nice find, though. i don't think the description of the device is accurate here. mines always affect single ships only.

that's just my opinion, though. please feel free to analyze the rules text and discuss this at length.

The description of cluster mine changed from the previous rules reference (1.1.0.). The previous reference said “that ship” vs this reference (1.2.0.) which states “each ship at range 0”.

The FAQ language is confusing too, first saying to “choose one ship to be affected” and then to “resolve the detonation on each of those ships”

I can see the argument both ways. I’m inclined to think (consistent with other mines) that each of the clusters only affects one ship, but this FAQ and change to the description don’t clear it up particularly well.

On the other hand, the description does say “when each of these devices detonates, each ship at range 0 rolls...”. The double use of each in the sentence does make it seem like one individual cluster mine could affect multiple ships... 🤷‍♂️

Anyone else notice that RAW now you can fly through a cluster mine and not be damaged by it when it detonates as long as you don't land on it? Have to be overlapping it to be at range 0 of it.

@joeshmoe554 & @DarthSempai You two are laughing? Read the last part of the mine's effect description.

gJhX4Dd.png

Now from the Range section of the RR, page 16:

"◊ An object is at range 0 of an obstacle or device if it is physically on top of it."

Definition of "object" is on page 14:

"Ships, obstacles, and devices are all objects. The exact position of objects in
the play area is tracked and restricted by game effects."

A ship has to end its maneuver on the cluster mine itself for it to roll the 2 attack dice when the mine detonates from the ship overlapping it. Just moving through it causes the mine to detonate but no dice to be rolled by the triggering ship.

This also allows for some wacky situations, when you fuse a cluster mine, then one ship lands on it, removing the fuse... then a SECOND ship lands on it, setting it off. In that (unusual) confluence of events, you'd end up rolling dice against BOTH ships at Range 0 of that token, no?

Alternately, landing on a fused Cluster Mine wouldn't damage you, but if someone else later flies over it, it detonates, and YOU are the lucky ship at Range 0.

Edited by emeraldbeacon
18 minutes ago, emeraldbeacon said:

This also allows for some wacky situations, when you fuse a cluster mine, then one ship lands on it, removing the fuse... then a SECOND ship lands on it, setting it off. In that (unusual) confluence of events, you'd end up rolling dice against BOTH ships at Range 0 of that token, no?

Alternately, landing on a fused Cluster Mine wouldn't damage you, but if someone else later flies over it, it detonates, and YOU are the lucky ship at Range 0.

The FAQ answer has you covered on the first part. Reason would dictate that your outlined situation is similar enough, IE 2 ships overlapping the same mine, that it would also apply to one who's fuse had been tripped. (Thanks @5050Saint for the pic, it's quite useful. :D )

gJhX4Dd.png

Page 31 of the current RR (v 1.2.0) if you feel the need to confirm.

1 hour ago, Hiemfire said:

@joeshmoe554 & @DarthSempai You two are laughing? Read the last part of the mine's effect description.

gJhX4Dd.png

Now from the Range section of the RR, page 16:

"◊ An object is at range 0 of an obstacle or device if it is physically on top of it."

Definition of "object" is on page 14:

"Ships, obstacles, and devices are all objects. The exact position of objects in
the play area is tracked and restricted by game effects."

A ship has to end its maneuver on the cluster mine itself for it to roll the 2 attack dice when the mine detonates from the ship overlapping it. Just moving through it causes the mine to detonate but no dice to be rolled by the triggering ship.

Oh man, I was not laughing at you at all, and I quite agree that you are right RAW! I think it's an hilarious find! :P

10 minutes ago, DarthSempai said:

Oh man, I was not laughing at you at all, and I quite agree that you are right RAW! I think it's an hilarious find! :P

Okay, sorry for my reaction then. Life's been interesting.

11 hours ago, DarthSempai said:

Same here, that change to Cluster Mines really feels like a Cluster Fundoodle.

So did they change how these work now?

They traded them working like normal mines (fly though them hits the ship) to hitting everything they are touching ONLY instead?

I feel like that makes them weaker as if you know you are going to hit it, you can just set a maneuver to make sure you clear it and you're good.

Or am i reading that wrong?

Cluster mines have now returned to normal mine activation. If you drive over them, you roll for damage. Huzzah, they are still inferior.