How old?

By copperbell, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

I'm currently playing in a game with a character whose age I hadn't predetermined before play.

I've been tinkering about her being very young, but have doubts this is a good idea.

I've queried my gm about this, but was wondering in your games what limits have you posed on characters in your games?

By this I mean how young would you allow a character to be run in your games?

Currently thinking a few months shy of her 16th birthday, but waiting on a reply as I'd make her older if it fits the game better I just never gave it a thought until now as it didn't occur to me.

So I'd appreciate some advice on this please.

It's kinda handwaved for me so far. I can imagine i would be more strict if the background/concept is built around/depending on it.

Also the timeline. We are playing between ep5 and ep6 now and the party encountered a jedi recently. I looked at them and told them, you don't know **** about the Order, you were born after the Clone Wars. Try Knowledge Lore/Education

Edited by Rimsen

Luke and Leia were about 18 at the beginning of Ep. 4, so I don't think it's a big deal.

This has come up before and the community is pretty split. I personally would handwave it as well. Star Wars has always been about the younger generation taking up the fight, so it's in theme. As a GM I would just hand out boost and setbacks on a case-by-case basis and call it good.

Anakin was, what, 8 years old in Ep. I? Go as young as you want. At worst, your GM may impose setbacks on you when using certain social checks on folks who culturally revere age. If they do more than that, they're not in the spirit of the game, which is to be a movie simulator.

Edited by SavageBob

Minium age (in Human years) for playing without setbacks due to age would be around 15, maximum around 50.

For actually playing there is not limit, if someone wants to play "Podracer Anakin", "The Child" or "Dagobah Yoda" they can. The only restrictions that can apply are the style of the campaign or the rest of the table doesn't want to play with the Character.

By RAW, your character can be any age you want them to be, from pre-teen to senior citizen, without there being any mechanical effects.

Personally, I tend to skew towards younger characters, but rarely go below 15 years of age.

So I'd say go with what works best for your concept. At most, as a teenager you might get a setback die in certain social situations due to older NPCs not taking such a young individual seriously, but that'd be about it.

WEG used to have a template literally named Kid, so I think any age is fair game in Star Wars.

People might have issues with violence other negative outcomes directed at children, so it's always worth checking with your table.

As GM I'd try to make sure I always balanced it. For every hindrance on social, maybe give a bonus on Stealth or Skulduggery. All entirely situational, dependent on the context.

For me, I would think that would depend on how dark the game was and how much of an affect the age difference would have on the core stat block. I don't their should be any problem with characters in their mid-adolescence in most Star Wars campaigns, and in many cases, even early adolescence shouldn't product much of a problem. Much younger than that, I think would require an alternative stack block that takes into account the character's youthfulness would be necessary.

As an aside, WEG did have a Kid template option, and much of the literature that inspired Star Wars did include youthful adventures; so, there is a precedence within the universe for allowing younger characters.

Second take; Imperials would see the kid and try to enroll it in stormtrooper school after arresting it.

I had an 8? year old nephew play an "escaped Wookie slave boy" using d20 Star Wars. I reduced some stats and let him slowly "grow up" stat-wise during play. During the first adventure he escaped the bonds of his Imperial Officer owner and joined the party. My nephew was 8ish, and his typical response to problems seemed in-character for a Wookie - destroy stuff, so it worked out much better then making him something like the party diplomat. This sort of gameplay didn't turn him into a brutal, undisciplined adult at all. He's since probably doubled my paycheck as a mechanical engineer.

My character is former Imperial.

By former her parents were both Imperial Officers but they divorced when she was very young and she remained with her father who was transferred into various units before being mustered out as a result of the clout his ex-wife's family had.

She going by Desperate Allies was being trained as a Clerk before they ended up being booted out and it was only during their travels into the Outer Rim that her force ability emerged helping her activate what they thought was a simple child's toy that resembled a Fake or Faux Holocron but functioned like a Datapad with a memory archive used as the memoirs of her Great Grandfather but set around his service during the Clone Wars.

They used the information to locate salvage enough to cover their livelihood as well as travel further into the Outer Rim seeking a new home.

He eventually managed to get a job as a guard enough to cover a small apartment and enough to live on.

Contacted by someone claiming to represent his ex-wife the contact then proved himself a fraud when he wrongly thought my character was an orphan her father had adopted on his travels.

This resulted in a fight when the fraud called in back up and the fight spilled outside whilst he ordered her to flee which she did being helped by a neighbor.

The authorities came in and arrested them, but the trio never made it to lock up and the neighbor who went to check was so alarmed that he arranged for her to work on a passing freighter getting her safely out of the system before whoever grabbed her dad came looking for her.

This led to her being accepted on the Eastwood and where the game started.

Second session and this came up, I just wish my internet didn't go on the fritz will have to wait until the next session to see if I can pull this off!

Thanks for the advice it seriously helped!

Edited by copperbell