Quicksilver!

By maniakmedic, in Marvel Champions: The Card Game

I love that we are diving into X-Factor characters. In the 90's and 2000's that was always my favorite X-Book. They were always exploring some interesting angle be it government funding super hero team or mutant detective agency. Also I would love a Strong Guy card. Sounds like another good candidate for Protection ally.

I think what I would like to see down the line is like a "Team Leader" card or something where you can grab allies from other aspects if you share their keyword. So if they release like a Havok hero card and his has X-Factor printed on him he can grab any X-Factor card or if Misty Knight comes out as a hero she can grab all the Heroes for Hire. I love the idea of tribal deck builds, and more than anything I just want to build hero/ally teams centered on theme once we get a much bigger pool.

Also Quicksilver's mat looks pretty good I think. I'm not loving all the mats, but this one actually has consistently good art. During the livestream I thought it was interesting that Caleb answered the art question that he isn't' literally the one sourcing the art. That's someone else's job. It was nice to get that peak behind the curtain.

Edited by phillos

I really hope they make Wanda available as either the signature ally or a neutral one, otherwise these "team-up" abilities are going to be really irritating.

1 hour ago, Supertoe said:

I really hope they make Wanda available as either the signature ally or a neutral one, otherwise these "team-up" abilities are going to be really irritating.

What they have done with Ant-man and Wasp seems to indicate the are on top of that issue.

16 hours ago, batman14 said:

The art on "Always be running" looks like a bunch of clipart thrown together. :)

Does Quicksilver looses his neck when he runs?

He appears to be leaning forward, if you look at the picture. So, that’s correct perspective based on the angle of the viewer.

10 hours ago, Derrault said:

He appears to be leaning forward, if you look at the picture. So, that’s correct perspective based on the angle of the viewer.

Thanks for explaining to me the drawing.

Really horrid art though!

multiple man looks great, dropping three allies at once will be super! 👍 💪

Quicksilver's main strength is that he is extremely versatile, in both his signature kit and in terms of aspects. The trade off is that he lacks raw output and many of his cards are either on curve for signatures or lower, although cards like Always Be Running can achieve top efficiency with set up and combos. He is also on the lower end in terms of resource generation.

Overall, he will be a balanced hero, that is neither overly strong nor weak.

I think he will be best with Protection or Aggression, but still good with Leadership or Justice, all should be viable.

Multiple Man is pretty strong and a really cool design but the ally limit and the fact that copies can't come from the discard makes it trickier to play than you'd think.

Full Defense Decks dont really need stuns as they have more than enough mitigation, but where Never Back Down really shines is in multiplayer where you add defense for yourself and stun the villain for a team mate.

On 9/25/2020 at 11:45 AM, Tonbo Karasu said:

What they have done with Ant-man and Wasp seems to indicate the are on top of that issue.

Ant-Man or Wasp requires you play with a specific aspect and/or hero in order to use that team-up card. It's not too big a deal since it's just one neutral event, but I feel like it would be a very big deal with the actual alter-ego abilities on quicksilver/scarlet witch being tied.

5 minutes ago, Supertoe said:

Ant-Man or Wasp requires you play with a specific aspect and/or hero in order to use that team-up card. It's not too big a deal since it's just one neutral event, but I feel like it would be a very big deal with the actual alter-ego abilities on quicksilver/scarlet witch being tied.

Not true - Ant Man has a Wasp signature ally, and Wasp has an Ant Man signature ally. The other versions are just extras.

1 hour ago, FearLord said:

Not true - Ant Man has a Wasp signature ally, and Wasp has an Ant Man signature ally. The other versions are just extras.

Same with Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch

2 hours ago, FearLord said:

Awesome, I did not know that. Hall of Heroes only has the aspect versions.

28 minutes ago, Supertoe said:

Awesome, I did not know that. Hall of Heroes only has the aspect versions.

They never officially revealed the signature allies, but I think it was Caleb who mentioned them in a video at some point. It wasn't something that they made a big deal about, so it was really easy to miss.

It has been stated in interviews that for the Team-Up allies, each has each other as sig allies.

But that is kind of a problem because signature allies are typically among the strongest cards in the game, and while the Team Up cards are good, they aren't that good.

So honestly, if you partner with the other hero, sure you gain the Team Up card but you actually go down in strength overall because now your sig ally is a resource.

And then if you aren't partnering with the other hero, the Team Up card isn't really worth it because you have no guarantee you will have the Team Up card in hand while the ally is in play.

My only hope at this point is if the sig allies have double resources or something.

18 hours ago, batman14 said:

Thanks for explaining to me the drawing.

You’re welcome!

6 hours ago, Deadwolf said:

Quicksilver's main strength is that he is extremely versatile, in both his signature kit and in terms of aspects. The trade off is that he lacks raw output and many of his cards are either on curve for signatures or lower, although cards like Always Be Running can achieve top efficiency with set up and combos. He is also on the lower end in terms of resource generation.

Overall, he will be a balanced hero, that is neither overly strong nor weak.

I think he will be best with Protection or Aggression, but still good with Leadership or Justice, all should be viable.

Multiple Man is pretty strong and a really cool design but the ally limit and the fact that copies can't come from the discard makes it trickier to play than you'd think.

Full Defense Decks dont really need stuns as they have more than enough mitigation, but where Never Back Down really shines is in multiplayer where you add defense for yourself and stun the villain for a team mate.

I mean, once he’s established his upgrades, he looking at a baseline of 2/2/2 stats, with the ability to increase those to 3 from aspect upgrades, and can get a further +2 from Maximum velocity. At that point, with a hand size of 6 flipping into hero he can potentially hit for 20? That’s not bad. And it doesn’t take into consideration the possibility that card draw/cost reducers let him fire off all 4 always be runnings for up to 30 in a single round.

edit: @Deadwolf

I dunno, the Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch card is basically a better version of Enhanced Spider Sense; that’s pretty good.

Edited by Derrault

Always Be Running needs at least 3 atk/thw to be good/ on par with what you would normally pay.

Also most heroes have 3 economy/resource generator cards in their signature kit, since QS has only 1 more unknown card, he can only have a maximium of 1 resource generator card. His kit as well as the the type of deck he wants is on the cheap side, so it isn't a huge deal, but it is a balancing factor.

The ideal scenario is to play Max Velocity and Always Be Running together, as they increase the efficiency of each other.

Edited by Deadwolf

Also, from discussions on the discord, these are the most likely text of Double Time and Speed Cyclone.

Double Time (2)

Hero Action: Perform 2 of the following actions. You may perform the same action twice.

- Deal 2 damage to an enemy.
-Remove 2 threat from a scheme.

Speed Cyclone (x)

Hero Action: Stun X enemies.

On Speed Cyclone because everything on a single line, there is only so much that fits, and stun makes the most sense. The card most likely does not do damage because if you look at the card Ground Stomp, you will see that a similar effect will not fit on a single line.

Edited by Deadwolf
1 hour ago, Deadwolf said:

It has been stated in interviews that for the Team-Up allies, each has each other as sig allies.

But that is kind of a problem because signature allies are typically among the strongest cards in the game, and while the Team Up cards are good, they aren't that good.

So honestly, if you partner with the other hero, sure you gain the Team Up card but you actually go down in strength overall because now your sig ally is a resource.

And then if you aren't partnering with the other hero, the Team Up card isn't really worth it because you have no guarantee you will have the Team Up card in hand while the ally is in play.

My only hope at this point is if the sig allies have double resources or something.

This is why I think they need to introduce some kind of extra action you can take with allies (maybe signature only) that match a hero that's in the game. 'Discard this card -> Good but not amazing effect'. It means you're not getting screwed out of an often good card just because someone decided to play with a particular hero, especially when most of the the time they're heroes people will want to play together .

I'm gonna guess that Quicksilver will trend toward the higher end of the power curve because he is flexible. Flexible heroes tend to perform better on average. At least in the small set of heroes we have so far.

Edited by phillos
On 9/26/2020 at 6:35 PM, Abyss said:

This is why I think they need to introduce some kind of extra action you can take with allies (maybe signature only) that match a hero that's in the game. 'Discard this card -> Good but not amazing effect'. It means you're not getting screwed out of an often good card just because someone decided to play with a particular hero, especially when most of the the time they're heroes people will want to play together .

Most, maybe all, of those signature heroes are a wild resource which is a good but not amazing effect. Smart design to build that into the game.

9 hours ago, phillos said:

I'm gonna guess that Quicksilver will trend toward the higher end of the power curve because he is flexible. Flexible heroes tend to perform better on average. At least in the small set of heroes we have so far.

I'm quite certain he is going to be the most powerful 4-player Defensive Character. He will be the first who can Defend twice every round, and potentially more times with the help of other cards.

That sounds pretty thematic since that's pretty much what he does in every one of those slow motion X-Men movie scenes. My mind hadn't gone right to Defense for Quicksilver but that makes total sense. You get may more utility potentially out of those defense cards with him all set up.

Protection will be strong because it maximizes the free defense he gets.

The tradeoff tho, is the hero phase ready as well as Always Be Running will be worse since Protection lacks any way to buff atk or thw.

Edited by Deadwolf
1 minute ago, Deadwolf said:

The tradeoff tho, is the hero phase ready as well as Always Be Running will he worse since Protection lacks any ways to buff atk or thw.

Well, in a 4-player game, you should have other players that can play those atk and thw boosting cards on you to get their bonus.

2 hours ago, Deadwolf said:

The tradeoff tho, is the hero phase ready as well as Always Be Running will be worse since Protection lacks any way to buff atk or thw.

Quicksilver has upgrade cards in his 15 that increase his stats.

It's funny, but every time they announce a new hero that I'm really "meh" on, once they do the actual reveal and conversations start happening about how the character will work in practice with the cards we already have, I get really excited about playing them. Quicksilver definitely falls into that category for me. I can actually visualize him speeding around and taking hits for other players, or dealing out damage and thwarting multiple times due to his innate hero ability and "Always Be Running". If you can get a good enough rhythm down with him, "Serval Industries" pretty much guarantees you can keep at least two ABRs in your deck at all times. Can you imagine the turns you could have if you can get your deck down low and manage to use SI to keep ABR, "Maximum Velocity", "Double Time", and "Speed Cyclone" cycling into your deck without completely running through it?