B-Movie Doubletap Blues (Hyperspace Rebels)

By Spinland, in X-Wing Squad Lists

Just a stripped-down Leia list trying to make room for two B-Wings plus the new Synced Laser Cannons. Just try to survive long enough to blast everything in sight with double-taps. Probably only viable in the most casual of games.

Leia Organa (77)
Agile Gunner (5)

Ship total: 82 Half Points: 41 Threshold: 7

Braylen Stramm (52)
Synced Laser Cannons (6)
Stabilized S-Foils (2)

Ship total: 60 Half Points: 30 Threshold: 4

Ten Numb (48)
Fire-Control System (2)
Synced Laser Cannons (6)
Stabilized S-Foils (2)

Ship total: 58 Half Points: 29 Threshold: 4

Total: 200

Might be a better anchor ship out there than the Falcon. Messed around with ideas involving an ARC or a couple of Y-Wings, just not a whole lot of points left to work with once the Bs are set up.

Edited by Spinland
Title change

K2SO works so good with double tap Ten

21 hours ago, Spinland said:

Just a stripped-down Leia list trying to make room for two B-Wings plus the new Synced Laser Cannons. Just try to survive long enough to blast everything in sight with double-taps. Probably only viable in the most casual of games.

Leia Organa (77)
Agile Gunner (5)

Braylen Stramm (52)
Synced Laser Cannons (6)
Stabilized S-Foils (2)

Ten Numb (48)
Fire-Control System (2)
Synced Laser Cannons (6)
Stabilized S-Foils (2)

Might be a better anchor ship out there than the Falcon. Messed around with ideas involving an ARC or a couple of Y-Wings, just not a whole lot of points left to work with once the Bs are set up.

Would it not make more sense to work on a source of Calculate or is the secondary bonus of the Cannon not that important?

Edited by Sonikgav
6 minutes ago, Sonikgav said:

Would it not make more sense to work on a source of Calculate or is the secondary bonus of the Cannon not that important?

I'm considering the secondary bonus as "nice, but not sure yet how I'd leverage it in the points limit," just focusing right now on getting the 3-dice frontal-arc double tap in place. Lots of room for refining this rough first draft, to be sure. Probably the Falcon as third ship will have to go; too expensive. :)

Okay, changed the name to reflect it's not really about Leia, but the mighty doubletap. Also, trying to keep this list Hyperspace legal (forgot to mention that) so my support/anchor ship choices are limited.

Here's another try, using a cheaper chassis so I can fit K-2S0 to share the calculates:

Alexsandr Kallus (68)
Intimidation (3)
K-2SO (8)
Hull Upgrade (2)

Ship total: 81 Half Points: 41 Threshold: 8

Braylen Stramm (52)
Synced Laser Cannons (6)
Stabilized S-Foils (2)

Ten Numb (48)
Fire-Control System (2)
Synced Laser Cannons (6)
Stabilized S-Foils (2)

Total: 199

Ah, i was working on a U Wing that was looking ok as an interference/support ship (and has Leia) but its not Hyperspace Legal.

Ten Numb (48)
Synced Laser Cannons (6)
Stabilized S-Foils (2)

Braylen Stramm (52)
Synced Laser Cannons (6)
Stabilized S-Foils (2)

Magva Yarro (50)
Intimidation (3)
Advanced Sensors (10)
K-2SO (8)
Leia Organa (7)
Tactical Scrambler (2)
Pivot Wing (0)
Feedback Array (3)

*edit* Swap Tactical Scrambler for FCS on Ten if you prefer.

Edited by Sonikgav

Nice! If not for the Hyperspace thing I believe a U-Wing would be perfect here. I like it. 😎 🍺

I'm going to say I think chasing Calculate in this list would be bad. Negating a Range 3 bonus is pretty small peanuts, particularly since it means the calculate token has to go unspent over both attacks. Adding calculate tokens is expensive and would require swapping away from a stronger ship like Leia into a cheaper and worse one.

I think I like the first list best, but would consider title on her. There's benefits to both. Agile Gunner is potentially action economy, but not always needed. Millennium Falcon can be a nice defensive boost, particularly against mass 2-dice attacks. I can see going with either.

Edited by theBitterFig
24 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

I'm going to say I think chasing Calculate in this list would be bad. Negating a Range 3 bonus is pretty small peanuts, particularly since it means the calculate token has to go unspent over both attacks. Adding calculate tokens is expensive and would require swapping away from a stronger ship like Leia into a cheaper and worse one.

I think I like the first list best, but would consider title on her. There's benefits to both. Agile Gunner is potentially action economy, but not always needed. Millennium Falcon can be a nice defensive boost, particularly against mass 2-dice attacks. I can see going with either.

Might even say Title + Lando on her?

Cool. So, something like this?

Leia Organa (77)
Lando Calrissian (2)
Millennium Falcon (3)

Braylen Stramm (52)
Synced Laser Cannons (6)
Stabilized S-Foils (2)

Ten Numb (48)
Fire-Control System (2)
Synced Laser Cannons (6)
Stabilized S-Foils (2)

33 minutes ago, Sonikgav said:

Might even say Title + Lando on her?

I just hate Lando crew, even on Han. If I want a particular token, I don't want the chance of not getting that token.

DWYWM, I just don't like him.

1 minute ago, theBitterFig said:

I just hate Lando crew, even on Han. If I want a particular token, I don't want the chance of not getting that token.

DWYWM, I just don't like him.

I mean yeah, i get it. The Falcon advantage only works if you have that Evade Token so it definitely becomes a Gamble which i completely understand players not wanting to risk.

There's always other options for 2 points.

Just now, Sonikgav said:

I mean yeah, i get it. The Falcon advantage only works if you have that Evade Token so it definitely becomes a Gamble which i completely understand players not wanting to risk.

There's always other options for 2 points.

Even a baby-bid.

Marksmanship on the B-Wings could also be spicy, since a bullseye will contribute two crits.

There's always 4 I3 B-Wing with Foils and Synced Laser. That being said, I do not know what the math is on two, 3-dice attacks w/no mods (bc you need to save the lock) versus one 3-dice attack with a mod (probably depends on what you are shooting at).

For a more serious extended list, I think this could be decent:

Braylen Stramm (52)
Synced Laser Cannons (6)
Stabilized S-Foils (2)

Ten Numb (48)
Fire-Control System (2)
Synced Laser Cannons (6)
Stabilized S-Foils (2)

Lieutenant Blount (30)

“Dutch” Vander (40)
Dorsal Turret (2)
Plasma Torpedoes (8)
Total: 198

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

You could also drop Dutch to just Ion Cannon to get Jake instead of Blount. Or drop Dutch + Blount and go with Cassian w/ Leia + a Z-95.

For hyperspace, maybe something like this:

Braylen Stramm (52)
Synced Laser Cannons (6)
Stabilized S-Foils (2)

Ten Numb (48)
Fire-Control System (2)
Synced Laser Cannons (6)
Stabilized S-Foils (2)

“Zeb” Orrelios (33)
Leia Organa (7)

Blue Squadron Pilot (41)

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

I figure Zeb will mostly be spending focus on defense, but the I4 B-Wings alone are going to be pumping out 4, 3 die attacks between the two of them, so the drop off in offense from Zeb probably will not be too bad. That last Blue Squad could be swapped for an X-Wing or Jake.

I am flying Leia with Kanan and Heightened Perception, Ten Numb with Foils and Hull Upgrade and Braylen with Hull. Kanan is amazing at opening up Braylen's dial.

41 minutes ago, Schanez said:

I am flying Leia with Kanan and Heightened Perception, Ten Numb with Foils and Hull Upgrade and Braylen with Hull. Kanan is amazing at opening up Braylen's dial.

Nice!

Yeah, keeping with the theme of the original list, the doubletap mods of two SLC and two foils is tying up 14 points. If I were to abandon the theme and drop those it'd open up a whole lot of other fun stuff. :)

Here's the latest form of my version of the list, incorporating some of the changes suggested thus far:

Leia Organa (77)
Millennium Falcon (3)

Ship total: 80 Half Points: 40 Threshold: 7

Braylen Stramm (52)
Marksmanship (1)
Synced Laser Cannons (6)
Stabilized S-Foils (2)

Ship total: 61 Half Points: 31 Threshold: 4

Ten Numb (48)
Marksmanship (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
Synced Laser Cannons (6)
Stabilized S-Foils (2)

Ship total: 59 Half Points: 30 Threshold: 4

As before, the idea is to 3-dice doubletap like crazy and strive to dish out more than ye receive.

13 minutes ago, Spinland said:

Here's the latest form of my version of the list, incorporating some of the changes suggested thus far:

Leia Organa (77)
Millennium Falcon (3)

Braylen Stramm (52)
Marksmanship (1)
Synced Laser Cannons (6)
Stabilized S-Foils (2)

Ten Numb (48)
Marksmanship (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
Synced Laser Cannons (6)
Stabilized S-Foils (2)

As before, the idea is to 3-dice doubletap like crazy and strive to dish out more than ye receive.

This is very good. I'd swap Title for Heightened Perception, just for those pesky I6-5 Aces you can try to kill with higher initiative. It has swinged a few games in my favour already. It's mostly useless, but when you trigger it, it's priceless.

11 hours ago, Schanez said:

This is very good. I'd swap Title for Heightened Perception, just for those pesky I6-5 Aces you can try to kill with higher initiative. It has swinged a few games in my favour already. It's mostly useless, but when you trigger it, it's priceless.

That's a potentially good meta call.

Against some stuff (aces), HP is better. Against others (swarms), MF.

Something each player needs to work out based on what they think they'll fly against more.

4 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

That's a potentially good meta call.

Against some stuff (aces), HP is better. Against others (swarms), MF.

Something each player needs to work out based on what they think they'll fly against more.

Ah, that might be too true. In my local group there is only one CIS Swarm player, the rest flies 2-4 ship lists. Well I do not know if 5 RZ-2s is already a swarm, but there is also that. I found HP to be the superior call in most match ups.

On 9/25/2020 at 7:50 AM, Ninotik said:

K2SO works so good with double tap Ten

Does he?

K-2SO is System Phase. That seems like a big problem to me. Once Ten has that Calculate and Stress, he either performs a white maneuver to keep the stress for his ability, but then can't use his action to take a lock to get re-rolls or fire the double tap. Or he performs a blue maneuver to clear the stress and enable him to take the lock, but now he's lost the stress and has a lock and calculate, which is worse than a lock and his ability.

Seems like anti-synergy to me.

23 hours ago, Spinland said:

Leia Organa (77)
Millennium Falcon (3)

Braylen Stramm (52)
Marksmanship (1)
Synced Laser Cannons (6)
Stabilized S-Foils (2)

Ten Numb (48)
Marksmanship (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
Synced Laser Cannons (6)
Stabilized S-Foils (2)

If there's any way to make double tapping B-Wings actually worth it, this probably comes closest.

I've been thinking of all the other ships you could put there instead of Leia, but honestly all of them come up in short in one major department - health. Other ships might be able to support the Bs a little better, but none of them match the Falcon for survivability and that's going to be crucial. I can't think of any tweaks here. I'm not sure the title holds up vs Jyn on anyone except Lando, who can justify actually taking those evades, but Leia is probably the second best place for it. For 3-5 points, I can't think of a better upgrade though. Rebels don't really have a crew that fits in here. Shame Engine Upgrade is just that bit too expensive.

I still think the lock spend requirement for the double tap makes them a total trap, and that anything more expensive than AB is way overinvesting even if you do want to tempt the trap, but I'm intrigued enough by this that I want to give it a go.

1 hour ago, GuacCousteau said:

Does he?

K-2SO is System Phase. That seems like a big problem to me. Once Ten has that Calculate and Stress, he either performs a white maneuver to keep the stress for his ability, but then can't use his action to take a lock to get re-rolls or fire the double tap. Or he performs a blue maneuver to clear the stress and enable him to take the lock, but now he's lost the stress and has a lock and calculate, which is worse than a lock and his ability.

Seems like anti-synergy to me.

If there's any way to make double tapping B-Wings actually worth it, this probably comes closest.

I've been thinking of all the other ships you could put there instead of Leia, but honestly all of them come up in short in one major department - health. Other ships might be able to support the Bs a little better, but none of them match the Falcon for survivability and that's going to be crucial. I can't think of any tweaks here. I'm not sure the title holds up vs Jyn on anyone except Lando, who can justify actually taking those evades, but Leia is probably the second best place for it. For 3-5 points, I can't think of a better upgrade though. Rebels don't really have a crew that fits in here. Shame Engine Upgrade is just that bit too expensive.

I still think the lock spend requirement for the double tap makes them a total trap, and that anything more expensive than AB is way overinvesting even if you do want to tempt the trap, but I'm intrigued enough by this that I want to give it a go.

I think there might be a case for 1 in a list, as a damage dealer/distraction but im not sure they're good as the core of the list. Just never had much luck with B's despite wanting them to work.

Ten with Lock, Calculate and Stress can attack with Primary and have a reroll on one die from FCS and a Calculate and Stress to spend. And then on double tap either Calculate or Stress again. If he doesn't use one, he can keep Calculate for defence.

K-2S0 enables him to have more mods on his double tap.

4 minutes ago, Sonikgav said:

I think there might be a case for 1 in a list, as a damage dealer/distraction but im not sure they're good as the core of the list. Just never had much luck with B's despite wanting them to work.

I hear ya. Eventually I'll probably end up there; but, I like B-Wings so I keep poking around with hare-brained ideas. 😎 🍺