Slicer Tools: Card search for Armada

By ArmadaMatt, in Star Wars: Armada

Hello! I'm happy to share a new site I've been working on: Slicer Tools.

https://slicer.tools/

It's a card search site for Armada. It currently has every card I can think of except damage cards (need to scan those and add sometime). Each card page includes the card image, text/icons for all that info, expansion data, and official and community rulings. The latter are right now all based off the KARM (thanks @Karneck !).

There's also an advanced search for querying by type, faction, points, and similar characteristics. More will be added.

Additionally, you can easily share filtered searches.

Example: https://slicer.tools/search/?s=[f%3Aimperial][p%3A<5][ut%3Aofficer

(Returns Imperial officer cards that are less than 5 fleet points)

There are a few known bugs I need to work out, but for now it seems to work pretty well.

There is also a lot of work I'd like done for cleaning rulings, verifying sources and dates, and adding links between cards. I don't even want to think about the amount of work coming up with the introduction of Clone Wars AND all the card size changes plus some card errata.

If anyone is interested in helping with editing text and images, I'll probably be reaching out to see if I can get help soon. No coding required!

Anyway, hope the community finds this useful! It's been fun working on it.

Why not using the wiki?

22 minutes ago, Triangular said:

Why not using the wiki?

Good question. Not trying to replace the wiki here; I wanted a tool that had a more powerful search. Coming from a game like Magic the Gathering, I wanted a site that was more like gatherer.wizards.com or scryfall.com.

I've actually thought about including a link to the wiki pages on the card pages on Slicer Tools for quick access there. Not sure if that'd be useful, but I don't plan to add trivia or lore info like is on the wiki.

1 hour ago, ArmadaMatt said:

Good question. Not trying to replace the wiki here; I wanted a tool that had a more powerful search. Coming from a game like Magic the Gathering, I wanted a site that was more like gatherer.wizards.com or scryfall.com.

I've actually thought about including a link to the wiki pages on the card pages on Slicer Tools for quick access there. Not sure if that'd be useful, but I don't plan to add trivia or lore info like is on the wiki.

Yeah, the site looks great, but you just find the same info, you get at the wiki, missing the rules or the overviews what to find in which expansion pack.

I work at the wiki since 2016 nearly all alone. Now you do your project all alone. Will the community benefit much if we don‘t work together?

1 hour ago, Triangular said:

Yeah, the site looks great, but you just find the same info, you get at the wiki, missing the rules or the overviews what to find in which expansion pack.

I work at the wiki since 2016 nearly all alone. Now you do your project all alone. Will the community benefit much if we don‘t work together?

True, it has a lot of the same info. But it allows that info to be found in a very different way.

I understand your concern about not working together, but I think the community can benefit from having both options available. Just as it benefits from having multiple fleet builders, online simulators, blogs, and podcasts.

I do think we, along with other's managing Armada projects, can all benefit from collaboration in the near future as images start coming out for the Clone Wars and card updates. Unless FFG kindly provides digital versions for all the new content, but I'm not holding my breath for that to happen. Otherwise we'll all be scanning and cleaning up cards to get them online.

57 minutes ago, Triangular said:

I don't see it used for product information as much as list building, considering the example search "costs 5 points or less". On the wiki you'd have to build the search like: ("Imperial Upgrade Card" AND "Officer Upgrade Card") AND ("5 Points" OR "4 Points" OR "3 Points" OR "2 Points" OR "1 Point")

Although I just tried that search and I still get things like Wedge and Strategic Advisor in the results so that's weird.

@ArmadaMatt - if you can change the advanced search upgrade type to checkboxes or multi-select, it'd be a lot more powerful. Let's say a ship has Officer, Offensive Retrofit, and Turbolasers still open and I have 6 points left to work with, that would show me all possible upgrades I could equip without searching each type.

3 hours ago, FreakinUnoriginal said:

@ArmadaMatt - if you can change the advanced search upgrade type to checkboxes or multi-select, it'd be a lot more powerful. Let's say a ship has Officer, Offensive Retrofit, and Turbolasers still open and I have 6 points left to work with, that would show me all possible upgrades I could equip without searching each type.

Totally agree. Right now the advanced search is kinda basic just to get something out there. I do plan to add the ability to select multiple options for some fields such as the subtypes. Also want to add more fields like Unique (true/false), Upgrade Slots (ships), Keywords (squadrons), Defense Tokens, Traits (right now is just Modification, but Clone Wars will add more like Clone), Expansion, and somehow maybe handle searching for armaments. But baby steps for now!

14 hours ago, FreakinUnoriginal said:

On the wiki you'd have to build the search like: ("Imperial Upgrade Card" AND "Officer Upgrade Card") AND ("5 Points" OR "4 Points" OR "3 Points" OR "2 Points" OR "1 Point")

The first part is easier as you thought: If you look for " Imperial Officer Upgrade Cards " you will get the list of all Officer upgrades only available for the Empire. The second isn't possible at all. I thought of typing the number of Fleet Points as a Category, but that's not worth it (for the wiki).

14 hours ago, FreakinUnoriginal said:

I don't see it used for product information as much as list building.

So it would be a sort of list builder to be? Or a list builder aid? ... 🤔

5 hours ago, Triangular said:

Or a list builder aid?

That one.

Although I guess if there was an "add to list" button on the card pages that worked kind of like a shopping cart, it would become a list builder. I don't think slicer.tools needs that, though.

5 hours ago, Triangular said:

The second isn't possible at all. I thought of typing the number of Fleet Points as a Category, but that's not worth it (for the wiki)

The points don't need to be a category since those would just be pages of their own. But since the points are text on the page, doing "5 Points" OR "4 Points" should return all pages with either of that text on it. Combining with AND should makes the results require the other stuff plus the added thing.

And while looking up Wikia's operators I just found out why: https://community.fandom.com/wiki/Help:Searching#Search_keywords

As of 2016/09 the search engine does not support searching for an exact phrase (or term) search even when quotes are included, e.g. "Infobox portable" is always equivalent to Infobox OR portable.

The wiki would need something like text specifically to facilitate this kind of searching, like ImperialOfficerUpgrade and 5points. Which I don't think is worth doing, and the searches that would make use of it would be cumbersome to type out anyways.

This is great! Very useful for just getting a concise image of all specific cards, thanks for this!

Small update:

• Bug: Selecting Fleet Support or Support Team for Upgrade Type on the advanced search page no longer returns the same results
  • Enhancement: Add a field to advanced search to now search through the card text

I'm a bit behind everyone else updating their sites, but just added a first update to Slicer Tools with Clone Wars content.

• Adds all the new cards from the Clone Wars starters and squadron packs
  • Includes new fields for starting command tokens/dials and for recur types and ready costs on upgrades

To easily search for all CW cards, try this link: https://slicer.tools/search/?s=[f%3A ep] .

I still have a lot of work to do! Coming up will be:

• Update cards that were changed in 1.5
  • Add the back images for the new ship cards (right now I have only the front)
  • Add a search hook for era ("Clone Wars" or "Galactic Civil War")
  • Update card images from the UCC
  • Add damage deck cards

Some of these I won't be able to hit until after Christmas as my pre-order is delayed and should be arriving just as I travel for Christmas week. And those last two features will take a lot of work scanning cards.

If you are at all interested in contributing to this site, I would love some help with card images and editing entries. Send me a PM and we can talk!

Amazing work! Really neat UI, and love the official/community ruling and explanations!

I have a feature request/suggestion (not sure if its on the agenda already, or how hard it would be) Instead of displaying the name of the upgrade type (like Support Team) you could display the icon for it. (or both) Same for faction. It makes a bit more clear IMO. Like you are doing woth the ships already with the possible upgrades.

Thanks for the work!

Edited by sasska
2 hours ago, sasska said:

I have a feature request/suggestion (not sure if its on the agenda already, or how hard it would be) Instead of displaying the name of the upgrade type (like Support Team) you could display the icon for it. (or both) Same for faction. It makes a bit more clear IMO. Like you are doing woth the ships already with the possible upgrades.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll add that to my task list.