Devil Reef (Innsmouth Mythos 2) Announcement

By OC Architect, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

I'm curious, do many people play the campaign once a month as it releases, or wait for the whole thing? I'm playing solo and I feel like dragging it out for 6 months will just be frustrating. But with so much out of print, the new campaign is the only thing that we can confidently expect to complete!

I usually have one group that plays as it rolls out while also replaying other campaigns in the meantime with other groups.

It can be a lot of deck de/re construction but we enjoy playing too much to wait for the whole cycle to release or only play that cycle during the release arc.

As a side note, it appears that Devil Reef is actually a flashback.

51 minutes ago, Sarre said:

I'm curious, do many people play the campaign once a month as it releases, or wait for the whole thing? I'm playing solo and I feel like dragging it out for 6 months will just be frustrating. But with so much out of print, the new campaign is the only thing that we can confidently expect to complete!

My style has evolved over time, and likely what works for you will depend on how much content you have. Warning: long post coming up, TL;DR: style changes over time. Also some context: I've been playing the game since it was first released, almost 100% solo two handed.

When the game was first released I eagerly played the core game multiple times and when Dunwich was released I didn't wait to play. I had multiple parties that I was using. It was a drag waiting for new content, but with multiple parties I kept myself busy, especially as I would play each scenario multiple times with each party just to experience the variations.

For the path to Carcosa I varied things a bit, deciding to only play each scenario once per party and embrace what happened (good, bad, and sometimes yet to be determined). When I ran out of new content I went back and replayed Dunwich with a new party and enjoyed seeing things develop without having to wait a full month between scenarios.

For the Forgotten Age I changed things again: when the deluxe box came out I only ran one party through it. Then nothing until after the first two mythos packs were released. At that point I played both the scenarios for the party I had started as well as started a new party which I ran through the existing four scenarios. Then pause until the 3rd and 4th mythos packs came out and repeat the process (catch parties up, start a new party). When the cycle was complete I had one party enjoy the luxury of running through all of the campaign with no delays.

While this technique required longer breaks of two months, the in between time was filled with re-playing old campaigns (including the new Return to ... that were starting to come out).

Nothing changed when The Circle Undone came out. Dream eaters required a change up, as I decided to play both campaigns in that expansion at the same time. So now waiting for two new scenarios for a team equated to "wait for end of cycle". So in the middle, once each individual campaign was done I then ran a new team for just that campaign.

With Innsmouth coming up I'm thinking of changing things again. Since there is so much old content to replay coupled with the joy of playing a whole cycle at once, I'm toying with waiting to start anyone on the cycle until at least half the content (or more) has been released. Of course I'll be trying out the investigators in older campaigns and side scenarios before then, but I may not know how things work out for the conspiracy until the whole thing has been released.

2 hours ago, Sarre said:

I'm curious, do many people play the campaign once a month as it releases, or wait for the whole thing?

I wait for the whole thing, or at least until we're close enough that we won't have to wait long (if at all) for it. Since my groups tend to play weekly we usually start the new campaign up right around the 4th pack release in a cycle.

We used to play each scenario immediately when it came out for the Dunwich and Carcosa campaign.

But we didn't like the waiting time between the releases as we lost track of the story.

So starting with the Forgotten Age, we decided to wait for each campaign to be fully released, and then play one scenario each week.

Edited by Jekothalep

i'm a total completionist. and by that, i mean i have waited to get almost the entire game before truly diving in. originally played the core two years ago and then put the game on pause because i got stymied trying to find The Forgotten Age.

at this point i am just shy three mythos packs from having it all (one from Circle Undone--which i hadn't even expected to play, and two from Dream Eaters). but i feel like i can finally confidently get rolling.

i absolutely love now having this enormous sprawling mess to play with. being stuck in that house with Roland and Agnes for so long had really worn down my sanity!

More images from its pre-order page:

ahc54-image3500.png ahc54-image2500.png

The Devil's reef is still not listed as expected on FFG's website for preorder, nor in the article, but it is available for preorder from the store's page...