Flagship II: a missed opportunity

By Marinealver, in Twilight Imperium

So with the expansion coming out I am glad to see some improvements to planet combat and a new way to add in heroes. But I think FFG missed a component that depending on what faction you play is either ignored or too relied upon, and that is an upgrade for flagships.

An idea I have and it is something that can easily be done is to have a flagship II. The upgrade prereqs like the flagships themselves can be unique to each faction. This might be in line with the colors of the faction specific technologies or if needed to branch out more (like jol nar) have a prerequisite that is different from the faction upgrade colors. this is also a way to make under performing flag ships (i.e. Haccan) into one that could be better or just more interesting.

Either way it is likely there could be another expansion in the future (still need the space puppies faction) but on my wishlist, FLAGSHIP II please.

I'd be curious to hear from Dane if such an "upgrade trade" was explored in one of the early iterations of the expansion. However, there is so much new content, that I can't say I really miss a Flagship 2 (of course, the Nomad is the only faction with this capability).