(Pure fan rant) Wishes for Wolverine!

By trombonebull, in Marvel Champions: The Card Game

So, I know full well development on a ton of heroes and the like are probably rolling through the pipeline all the time, but I just wanted to throw out my 2 cents on an idea I thought up while playing the other day.

Wolverine... his superpowers are rapid healing factor and heightened senses. He also has the adamantium which makes him formidable. He is the best there is at what he does!

I would like to see his stat line altered. maybe 1 att. 2 thw. 1 rec. in hero and 2 rec. in alter-ego.

Hear me out. Give him two restricted cards. the first restricted card, Adamantium claws weapon (+1 att, hero action- ready and perform 1 basic att action). a gated way to achieve a possible 4 total attack in a turn or a thwart and attack or an attack and recovery. force the readied action to be an attack for balance reasons. but moreso than that give it charges from another "wakanda forever-esque" card berserker rage. generate three to four charges to your signature restricted cards at the cost of taking a hit from yourself (the stronger you are the more dangerous you become to yourself and others).

the second resticted card would be similar but be Healing factor, +1 rec, action- ready your identity and perform a recovery basic action. giving you a potential 4 recovery in hero mode or 6 recovey in alter-ego. again gated by the card and limited by the charges.

wolverine doesn't defend but he heals all the time. the hulk doesnt thwart but he has the ability if modified to do so. wolverine just doesnt. The recovery is a replacement for defending, so giving him a decent health is necessary 12+ but not ridiculous high like thor or she-hulk. but maybe even expandable ala Iron man.

As for obligation I would give him "Blinded by rage" flip to hero form, and either attack yourself and discard this obligation. or attack a friendly hero and discard this obligation. and then for the nemesis side scheme "Hunted by the past" give it the crisis symbol, you cant very well stop the villains schemes when you are being hunted. his nemesis deck would be all minions from his past sabertooth (main), omega red, lady deathstrike, ogun, cyber, wendigo, silver samurai, heck even viper again lol. he doesnt need events in his nemesis deck because hes made so many enemies. bad stuff alway finds him.

Thank you for indulging my rant but I love this game and the character differentiation so much I just hope they hit it outta the park with this fan favorite.

I too would love Wolverine - or any X-men for that matter - in this game. Some fun ideas here. Thematically, I don't think "adding" adamantium to his character as an upgrade would be consistent with his character since it's an inseparable part of him. If I remember his lore correctly, I think the claws pierce his skin every time they come out because his skin heals over it (anyone more knowledgeable about his backstory, please correct me on this). So I could see a bunch of cards that inflict damage on him after dealing out massive attack damage. But this constant damage could be balanced with the fun twist of adding recovery to his hero form with respect to his healing abilities. Perhaps 1 Rec as Hero and 4 Rec as alter-ego?

These types of character-specific play dynamics that capture the "essence" of that hero are one of the things I love about this game. Fun to think about.

Mechanically, 1 Recover on hero is borderline useless, unless their DEF is 0.

I kind of think people are overthinking it a bit. The simple way to do it is to make his hero power a regen (possibly replace it with a damage effect if he's at full health?) and maybe give him some burst healing cards in his deck, along with a multiple attacks. I don't think he really needs to be any more complicated than that.

If they do want to make him a little deeper, I like the idea of him taking damage to deal damage as a way to force you to balance your resources.

I could see him using health as a resource of sorts. Some powerful cards that deal damage to him as well, or are medium power if you don't spend any health to boost them but strong if you do. He'll heal a lot regardless, whether it's built into his identity card or hero cards. 3 ATK on his hero card would be perfect but I wouldn't give him any way to raise it with his hero cards. Even though ATK doesn't translate to pure strength, it would be ridiculous to have him be obviously better than Hulk, Thor, and She-Hulk there and Thor as a printed 2 is a stretch even for game balance. 1/3/2 stats in hero form since he's capable of defending himself even though he doesn't do that often in the comics, 4-5 REC in alter-ego mode. I dig the idea of having him nemesis deck be all minions from his many, many enemies.

An X-Men expension box, anyone?

Edited by Lecitadin
14 hours ago, Lecitadin said:

An X-Men expension box, anyone?

Seems like a good idea, and honestly pretty likely. It could have four heroes, one pre-built deck for each aspect. Professor X for Leadership and Wolverine for Aggression, obviously. Colossus could work for Protection. Maybe Beast for Justice?

1 hour ago, GooeyChewie said:

Seems like a good idea, and honestly pretty likely. It could have four heroes, one pre-built deck for each aspect. Professor X for Leadership and Wolverine for Aggression, obviously. Colossus could work for Protection. Maybe Beast for Justice?

I can’t see Professor X getting a Hero/Alter-Ego card. An Ally leadership card sure. The Professor isn’t as field active as the rest of the X-Men.

Edited by Hyperjayman

Assuming an X-Men campaign box picked the obvious choices rather than drip feeding, I think it would definitely be Cyclops/Leadership, Wolverine/Aggression, then likely Storm/Protection and Jean/Justice.

Justice is the only real hard one there, as so far it's mostly been street level/spy focused. So it might depend on whether they decide to expand on that. We'll see how they handle Quicksilver/SW (Do we know which of them uses Justice/Protection at this stage?)

14 hours ago, Abyss said:

Assuming an X-Men campaign box picked the obvious choices rather than drip feeding, I think it would definitely be Cyclops/Leadership, Wolverine/Aggression, then likely Storm/Protection and Jean/Justice.

Justice is the only real hard one there, as so far it's mostly been street level/spy focused. So it might depend on whether they decide to expand on that. We'll see how they handle Quicksilver/SW (Do we know which of them uses Justice/Protection at this stage?)

Ant-Man is Leadership, Wasp is Aggression.

I’d lean towards Protection on Quicksilver, it suits him given that he can always defend.

Edited by Derrault
Aggression of course, why did I write Justice?
47 minutes ago, Derrault said:

Ant-Man is Leadership, Wasp is Justice.

I’d lean towards Protection on Quicksilver, it suits him given that he can always defend.

Ant man is leadership, Wasp is aggression, Quicksilver is protection, and Scarlet Witch is justice.

6 hours ago, Venompuppy said:

Ant man is leadership, Wasp is aggression, Quicksilver is protection, and Scarlet Witch is justice.

I knew that, and I still mistyped it. 🤪