Restricted list?? Can someone explain?

By redcapjack, in L5R LCG: Deck Building

So I'm fairly new to playing this version of the game, and the more I get into it the more questions that I have. I realize that some sets will be cycled out of the existing framework of the game but there also seems to be a "Restricted" list? Looking at the rules for "restricted" cards, a player can choose to play with a single "restricted" card in his deck, can include a number of legal copies of that card, but then that's the only "restricted" card they may play? I'm looking at the list, and there's a stronghold on the list, a couple of characters ,and so on... so my question is, if they can be included in the decks then why "restrict" them in the first place? Also- if I'm looking to buy into the game, but there are some cards that I'm not allowed to use- this seems a bit confusing with an LCG format, as I'm paying for all the cars, not just a few of them.

The Imperial Law, which includes the Restricted and Banned Lists, only applies for Organised Play events like tournaments and koteis. If you are playing casual/fun then go for your life.

As to why a Restricted list, it breaks up specific combos that are either unintentionally super powerful or just plain not fun to play against. I play Crab so I will use that as an example. Iron Mine is a good card, Kuni Labs is a good card, Rebuild is a good card. When you have all three types in a deck though they combine to become awesome cards and the game designer determined that he wanted to break up this combo so I can only have a maximum of 3xIron Mine, 3xKuni Labs OR 3xRebuild in my deck (the Stronghold, Provinces, Conflict and Dynasty decks are counted as one single deck for the sake of this restriction). You mention a Stronghold, that would be City of the Open Hand, the Scorpion SH. It is a great SH, arguably the best in the core set. The game designer determined that being allowed to play it and Forged Edict in the same deck is too controlling so you need to pick a max of one of those cards to use. The byproduct of that is it forces Scorpion players to continue to be creative and try new card combinations, not just relying on a few specific super combos.

What the lists also mean is as the game grows and develops, there can be some tweaks on the fly. When a card was initially released, it might not have raised any red flags, it may have been a good, fun card when it was released but when combined with a card say 2 sets later, there is suddenly an interaction that is too powerful, unfair or just plain unfun to play against. That is when the Restricted and Banned list kicks in, to monitor the Organised Play environment and by extension make suggestions to the casual play environment. These lists are also examined and cards added and/or removed every three months so they are not set in stone. Plus when these changes are made, they are announced with a news article explaining *why* these changes are made. You might not always agree with the changes but they are at least explained in detail and that goes a long way in my book at least.

As to an LCG using a Restricted and Banned List, it is more convenient to me than a CCG. In an LCG you know exactly what 60+ cards you are getting. Sure, some might be Restricted or Banned for a while but that is not necessarily permanent as the game, both in releases and meta, evolves. In a CCG, imagine opening a pack and getting 1 random rare to then find out that it is banned. In an LCG, you know exactly what you are getting, in a CCG it is chance what rarity you get and then chance that it isn't banned.

Excellently explained. Thank you very much! 😃

Out of curiosity, any idea where i can find out what "roles" are specifically named for Organized Play? My son and I are having a blast with this game, but we are thinking of visiting a few tournaments in the coming year or so.

Edited by redcapjack

At the Winter Court (World Championships) 2019, the winners decided to "free the roles". That means you can pick whatever role you want for your deck in Organised Play.

I run a monthly L5R tournament but evidence by the "s vs z" in how you and I spell "Organised" I suspect you are nowhere near me. :P (Australia)

Edited by DarkHorse

Yes, I'm in the United States... California.