Evading Massives and Necronomicon Slot

By Sir_Blacksoutalot, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

As a new player, I could use help with two seemingly basic questions.

1. How does the Evade action work with Massive enemies? Does it only require that one Investigator successfully evade the Massive Enemy for it to be exhausted and therefore disabled from attacking all Investigators? I feel like I've read these rules before, but I can't seem to track down the source.
  2. The Necronomicon card instructs to place in Daisy Walker's threat area. This asset card also denotes that it takes up a hand slot. But since it's placed in the investigator's threat area, is it still considered to occupy a hand slot?

Thanks in advance for any insights offered.

1. Correct, only one success will exhaust massive enemies, rendering them incapable of smacking your allies.

2. Indeed it does both: it is in her threat area and occupying one of her hand slots. Weaknesses are funny that way. Basically if a card's in your play or threat area, it'll occupy the slots shown on the card.

I like to think of the evade action against massive enemies as being more like a "preoccupy" action. If you succeed, you've gotten their attention in a way that keeps them from attacking you or anyone else in the location that turn.

Seems like a very handy tactic. High-agility investigator evades to exhaust enemy, then partner investigator(s) chisel away at massive enemy's health. What's not to love about that strategy?

7 hours ago, Sir_Blacksoutalot said:

Seems like a very handy tactic. High-agility investigator evades to exhaust enemy, then partner investigator(s) chisel away at massive enemy's health. What's not to love about that strategy?

Without spoiling anything, let's just say that the game designers also know that this is a good strategy so they have designed some massive enemies that circumvent it in one way or another.

10 hours ago, Sir_Blacksoutalot said:

The main thing not to love about it is that it doesn't work well with Machete or similar effects that care about enemies being engaged with you. Of course, if the enemy doesn't have Retaliate, you could machete it and then have your friend evade it...