Jyn & quickdraw

By Hoth is cool, in Imperial Assault Campaign

Hi,

Just wanted to clarify that we've gotten the rules lawyering correct with Jyn & her Quick Draw. In our group, there were two opinion as to how Quickdraw should be interpreted.

a) Once the Imperial unit declares it attacks (anyone, not merely Jyn); Jyn declares quickdraw, spends two strains, shoots the imperial once. Thereafter Imperial attacks. Some time later in the round, Jyn completes her full turn (e.g. two attacks, or whatever else) without Quickdraw having affected the actual turn.
(in short: Quick Draw is an extra attack)

b) Once the Imperial unit declares it attacks (anyone, not merely Jyn); Jyn declares quickdraw, spends two strains, shoots the imperial once. Then Jyn goes through her other action. Then Imperial completes the attack and does other activities. Jyn has no turn for the remainder of the round.
(In short; Quick draw is a method for moving Jyn's activation to a prior place)

Both options include only one activation token.

THis thread (https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/238007-jyn-odan-quick-draw-with-2-activation-tokens/?tab=comments#comment-2560777) implies option a), but I wanted to specifically ask this.

Bonus question: Is (should) Jyn be able to (continue to) use a quick draw if she has already engaged with the same attacker on previous rounds?

thank you.

It's closest to your option a), but not quite :)

Option A was correct in that Quickdraw is just an extra attack that takes place completely outside of Jyn's turn - it doesn't matter whether Jyn has already had her activation that round or not. The key piece that you're missing is that it takes place at the start of a figure's activation, not when they attack. So unless Jyn can see the other figure when their activation begins, she can't quickdraw.

So in the simplest case, it goes something like this.

• Gideon (just a an example) takes his activation
  • Imperial player says "ok, I'm activating this officer". Jyn does not have line of sight to the officer so no quickdraw. Officer moves four spaces and performs an attack.
  • Diala takes her activation.
  • Imperial player says "ok, I'm activating this probe droid". Jyn can see the probe droid, so is allowed to declare quickdraw, she pays the strain and makes her attack. Once she is done, if the droid is still alive, it performs its two actions to move and attack. If the droid dies during Jyn's attack, the imperial activation is over and it's immediately the rebels' turn.
  • Mak takes his activation
  • Imperial activates a nexu. Jyn can see the Nexu, but she has already used quickdraw this round so she can't do it again.
  • Jyn takes her activation
  • Round ends, do all of the end of round stuff. Starting at the beginning of the next round she is allowed to quickdraw again.

The only wrench in the works is that quickdraw needs to be used at the start of a figure's activation, not a group's. So if the imperial activates, say, stormtroopers, they have to activate each trooper one at a time and Jyn is only allowed to fire at a trooper at the beginning of its activation. If the imperial player is really tricky, they can move first with the back trooper (that jyn can't see) but end his turn in front of the other troopers (so she won't be able to see them at the start of their activations, either).

Like said above, Quick Draw 's timing is at the start of each hostile figure's activation. Jyn must decide then whether to spend the 2 strain to Quick Draw, Jyn cannot wait to see what the figure does during its activation.

The imperial player needs to say which figure they are activating and let Jyn's player time to react.

Quick Draw happens on other figure's activation, it does not affect Jyn's own activation in any way.

Edit: Interpret everything literally and you're okay.

Edited by a1bert

Thanks both ManateeX & a1bert. This nicely puts the matter at rest.

While Jyn might not be the most powerful character, I find her fun to play. :)

Jyn's my favourite character. With all her extra moves and shootings, she's quite the slippery customer.

On 9/27/2020 at 1:27 AM, TheEldarGuy said:

Jyn's my favourite character. With all her extra moves and shootings, she's quite the slippery customer.

She's the bane of Imperial Players, not terribly powerful but annoying as heck...

I have some hair left on my head... some, but not a lot. 😉