HLC+Marksmanship

By beewing, in X-Wing Rules Questions

How does these two correlate?

Do i change all crits to hits for the HLC and then change one to crit for MS?

Or do i change one hit to crit with MS and then back to hit with HLC, rendering MS useless?

4 hours ago, beewing said:

How does these two correlate?

Do i change all crits to hits for the HLC and then change one to crit for MS?

Or do i change one hit to crit with MS and then back to hit with HLC, rendering MS useless?

The second one. Normally you can choose the timing of the effect (and in 1e what you are trying to do was allowed), but they specifically wrote the wording of HLC so that the only possible way for it to crit is your opponent to have a hull breach or Rexlar Brath to flip a damage card.

I kind of knew it but better ask to have it confirmed. Think i'm gonna keep MS anyway for primary, crits are effective against those pesky Nantex swarms (among others) :)

Marksmanship: While performing an attack, if the defender is in your [BULLSEYE], you may change one [HIT] result to a [CRIT] result.

Heavy Laser Cannon: After the Modify Attack Dice step, change all [CRIT] results to [HIT] results.

It's all about the timing: Normally, all dice modifications happen in the relevant dice modification step. Marksmanship is no different... you can use it before or after you spend focus tokens, spend locks to reroll, or use other dice less common modifications.

Heavy Laser Cannon, though, modifies dice at a different time: AFTER the modify attack dice step. Even if you fought for every crit in your roll, they all turn back into hits.

On 9/15/2020 at 6:18 AM, SwampyCr said:

but they specifically wrote the wording of HLC so that the only possible way for it to crit is your opponent to have a hull breach or Rexlar Brath to flip a damage card.

Also, they specifically worded Bossk so that HLC is useless for his ability.

It would be helpful if Marksmanship read "modify" instead of "change". It would then be more obvious that it works in the "Modify Attack Dice Step".

But hey, consistent, sensible wording on card texts must be such a difficult task.

Edited by Rossetti1828
1 hour ago, Rossetti1828 said:

It would be helpful if Marksmanship read "modify" instead of "change". It would then be more obvious that it works in the "Modify Attack Dice Step".

But hey, consistent, sensible wording on card texts must be such a difficult task.

Dice modifications are explicitly defined and "change" is one of four possible modifications. Changing results has always been a dice modification.