Mirumoto Taoist Blade School : questions !

By Flexdu21, in Rules Questions

Hello everyone !
I have a very technical question about the Mirumoto blade Tao school and their school ability.
It is written in the school ability: Your kihō that affect your unarmed attack profiles also apply to weapons you wield in a one-handed grip . When you succeed on a check to activate a kihō that affects your unarmed attack profiles or a weapon you wield in a one-handed grip , add bonus successes equal to your school rank.

To me, this means that the kiho effect applies to one and only one-handed wielded weapon. In other words, a Mirumoto that has two one-handed wielded weapons (katana and wakisashi) could benefit from two kiho effects, one on the katana and the other on the wakizashi ?

Edited by Flexdu21

Unfortunately no, because kihō only work one at a time unless something else allows more than one active kihō at a time.

So in the example above, either the wakizashi or the katana would be affected.

However, it works on both of them at the same time, because the kihō affect you, and then enhance whatever unarmed or one-handed profile you are using.

So unless you somehow obtain the Togashi Tattoed Monk mastery or get the benefit of a Chronicler, you only have one kihō at a time.

17 hours ago, Diogo Salazar said:

So in the example above, either the wakizashi or the katana would be affected.

Correct. It's....largely...irrelevant, lacking a way to gain much benefit from dual-wielding, but something like Twin Streams or Spinning Blades would let you double-dip on the benefits of some kiho.

12 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Correct. It's....largely...irrelevant, lacking a way to gain much benefit from dual-wielding, but something like Twin Streams or Spinning Blades would let you double-dip on the benefits of some kiho.

twin streams + heartpiercing strike + fire fist + daisho = potentially deadliness 20+ critical strike if the player has been a munchkin about his ring (add a nemuranai with biting steel activated such as the purified daisho of deathly turns for example for 28+ for the insane ones)

ouch, dunno if it's really RAW or RAI to have 2 katas at the same time though, had the thing as a thought experiment one day about making an "F you" endgame build

2 katas is absolutely RAW and RAI. and yep, the Taoist Blade can do some of the craziest high DLS combos.

Generally, unless it's explicitly excluded (like having 2 kihō at once) you're supposed to combine things.

1 hour ago, Myrion said:

2 katas is absolutely RAW and RAI. and yep, the Taoist Blade can do some of the craziest high DLS combos.

Generally, unless it's explicitly excluded (like having 2 kihō at once) you're supposed to combine things.

Oh dear...

Might have to try the build then, just to see

Keep in mind though that you're investing a bunch of XP into nothing but being the absolute deadliest weapon. You can use that to one-shot big bad bosses - but you're doing that one at a time and they might have the ability to redirect your attack at someone nearby...

6 hours ago, Myrion said:

Just to clarify even further, you can combine as many kata as you want as long as they fulfill the following conditions:

• only one of them has an activation check and all the others only offer new opportunities.
  • if a Ring is specified, all the kata must work with any Ring OR with the specified Ring.

So, for instance, you can combine any Iaijutsu Cut with any Striking as X or you can combine Disappearing World Style with either a Iaijutsu Cut or Heartpiercing Strike but you can't combine Heartpiercing Strike with a Iaijutsu Cut.

why use fire fist for extra dls when you can use way of the edgeless sword? no kill like overkill.

Well, Fire Fist is Rank 1 and Edgeless is Rank 5, that's a bit of a cap.

4 hours ago, Orolando said:

why use fire fist for extra dls when you can use way of the edgeless sword? no kill like overkill.

as I read it RAW in the core book, flame fist increases the deadliness by your fire ring while edgeless sword replaces the deadlines by your void ring, so flame fist is beneficial here while edgeless sword isn't

Also yes, Edgeless IIRC makes DLS "treated" as rather than increased, so there's no actual incentive to use your sword with it, other than maybe for some tech synergy, since you could just as easily do as much damage with your hands, a stick or a frying pan.

1 hour ago, UnitOmega said:

Also yes, Edgeless IIRC makes DLS "treated" as rather than increased, so there's no actual incentive to use your sword with it, other than maybe for some tech synergy, since you could just as easily do as much damage with your hands, a stick or a frying pan.

Which is the whole point of it :) - I don't need a sword when this washbrush is a sword.

Hey I just realised, Granny Weatherwax knows this kiho :D .

1 hour ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

Which is the whole point of it :) - I don't need a sword when this washbrush is a sword.

Hey I just realised, Granny Weatherwax knows this kiho :D .

So what was your point with your 1st question ?

taoist swordsman can add the kiho to the sword which can double its deadliness endgame

sure your granny weatherwax can use twin streams unarmed but she’ll be at least half as deadly as a daisho armed swordsman

also, granny wouldn’t do that, she’d use headology to convince the opponent he’s a frog before it devolves to combat

7 hours ago, MB -Fr- said:

So what was your point with your 1st question ?

taoist swordsman can add the kiho to the sword which can double its deadliness endgame

sure your granny weatherwax can use twin streams unarmed but she’ll be at least half as deadly as a daisho armed swordsman

also, granny wouldn’t do that, she’d use headology to convince the opponent he’s a frog before it devolves to combat

You seem to be mistaking me for the original poster - I have asked no questions this thread.

But I will now, do you know who Granny Weatherwax is?

40 minutes ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

You seem to be mistaking me for the original poster - I have asked no questions this thread.

The meanest, most awesome witch this side (the top one) of Discworld.

1 hour ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

I am not, but you compare (as I described the math earlier) a 20+ DLS swordsman to a 10+ DLS unarmed/improvised/armed fighter since edgeless replaces the deadliness, so I was confused about your point because there can't really be any confusion about the most overpowered of the 2

as for granny, well duh my last sentence from my earlier post makes it obvious I do

Edited by MB -Fr-
4 hours ago, MB -Fr- said:

because there can't really be any confusion about the most overpowered of the 2

I might disagree on that point - not in terms of simple 'capacity to make things expire' but because, depending on the setting of the campaign, or at least a specific adventure, the ability to do so without access to a sword (inside a 'secure' area of a court palace, for example) might be far more overpowered...

1 minute ago, Magnus Grendel said:

I might disagree on that point - not in terms of simple 'capacity to make things expire' but because, depending on the setting of the campaign, or at least a specific adventure, the ability to do so without access to a sword (inside a 'secure' area of a court palace, for example) might be far more overpowered...

except that the taoist ability allows adding the flame fist upgrade to ANY one handed weapon, which includes easily concealable ones like knives or improvised weapons

so if you want to wield deadly paper fans as a concept, go nuts with edgless kiho

for anything else? flame fist/swordsman is still better mechanically