poison question

By redcapjack, in L5R LCG: Rules Discussion

I'm looking at some of the "poison" attachment cards and wondering why I would want to attach them to my own characters, or if there was a mechanic that I'm overlooking that allows a player to attach poison to an opposing character? Maybe this has come up before, but I did a keyword search in the forums and was unable to find an answer.

8 hours ago, redcapjack said:

I'm looking at some of the "poison" attachment cards and wondering why I would want to attach them to my own characters, or if there was a mechanic that I'm overlooking that allows a player to attach poison to an opposing character? Maybe this has come up before, but I did a keyword search in the forums and was unable to find an answer.

There is nowhere in the rules which says you have to play cards to characters (or other things) which you control. So the default is that you can attach Poison to anyone you feel like, unless there is something on the card or target which says otherwise. The key to look for is "to a character you control" which says you can't put this on someone else's character. Otherwise it's free game.

And it should be noted that this applies to any attachments not just Poisons. There is a valid strategy in attaching a bonus to a character to force your opponent to break some provinces with on break effects like Upholding Authority.

Thank you both very much for the clarification. Still trying to break old habits from the CCG, I guess.