Attacking an Eligible unit clarification......

By TB-79719, in Rules

Sooooo when performing a ranged attack, does the closest mini have to be WITHIN the leaders range or AT the leaders range? I have been trying to find this clarification in both the online RR and the Learn to play...…. 😐

53 minutes ago, TB-79719 said:

Sooooo when performing a ranged attack, does the closest mini have to be WITHIN the leaders range or AT the leaders range? I have been trying to find this clarification in both the online RR and the Learn to play...…. 😐

It only has to be at the leaders range, not within or wholly within. I'll have to find out where it says, but that's how it has always worked.

- Found it

Declare Defender: The attacking player chooses one enemy
unit to attack; this enemy unit is now the defender. Then, the
attacking player measures the range from the attacker’s unit
leader to the closest miniature of the defender to determine
the attack’s range.

To being the key word there, so it only has to get to them, they don't need to be within it.

Edited by Nithorian
4 hours ago, TB-79719 said:

when performing an attack the weapon that you are using will have a set range (most weapons have range 1-3.) when measuring from the attacking unit leader, if any of the targets minis are within range 1-3 (in this example) then that entire unit can be shot at with that weapon, they can be at any range within 1-3, they dont have to be at range 3 only.

Keep in mind that all you have to be able to see is any part of the shilouette tool from any one of your minis to be able to kill that mini.

11 hours ago, 5particus said:

Keep in mind that all you have to be able to see is any part of the shilouette tool from any one of your minis to be able to kill that mini.

This only matters if you are using the silhouette rules for organized play. It is not required for casual play, but is frequently used by people who also play in tournaments so they don't lose the "muscle memory".

On 9/11/2020 at 11:53 PM, Caimheul1313 said:

This only matters if you are using the silhouette rules for organized play. It is not required for casual play, but is frequently used by people who also play in tournaments so they don't lose the "muscle memory".

even if you are not then you still need to be able to see any part of the mini from any of the minis in the attacking squad to kill that mini.

On 9/12/2020 at 7:18 PM, 5particus said:

even if you are not then you still need to be able to see any part of the mini from any of the minis in the attacking squad to kill that mini.

Agreed, but I was just posting a reminder that the silhouette tool is not required in casual games. Players who haven't read the Organized play rules might otherwise get confused is all.

Edited by Caimheul1313

Ok. Now follow up question....

A unit leader of a 4 man squad is exactly AT Range 3 and the weapon that is being used by all 4 has a range of 1-3. Now the unit leader is THE ONLY TROOPER at range three and all others are beyond, do all minis in the squad get to contribute dice to the attack pool, since you are measuring from UNIT LEADER to the CLOSEST TROOPER in the enemy unit, or would the leader be the only one that can contribute dice to the attack pool?

Range for the attack is determined by measuring from the leader. You only check from individual models for line of sight. If the unit leader is at range 3, then all range 3 weapons in the unit are eligible to be added to the attack pool.

Form attack pool step of Attack in RRG:

"To choose a weapon, the attacker must meet all requirements indicated by that weapon’s keywords, and that weapon’s range must include the range of the attack, as determined from the attacker’s unit leader to the closest mini of the defender."

AWESOME!! This is what I thought but some rebel scum made me think twice!!

Note that you also do not have to have line of sight to said mini from your leader (who could be on the other side of the wall with all the other minis in the defending unit being in LOS at range 4 so you would have the ability to shoot only the range 4 minis but since the one mini you cant shoot at is range 3 is the closest, tnats the range you use for the whole unit. Wierd case.scenario but worth a mention

On 9/21/2020 at 11:49 PM, syrath said:

Note that you also do not have to have line of sight to said mini from your leader (who could be on the other side of the wall with all the other minis in the defending unit being in LOS at range 4 so you would have the ability to shoot only the range 4 minis but since the one mini you cant shoot at is range 3 is the closest, tnats the range you use for the whole unit. Wierd case.scenario but worth a mention

yeah if any of your minis can see the target and they are in range then you can shoot with those minis but the defenders would sutomatically get heavy cover as the leader has no line of sight to see them.

1 hour ago, 5particus said:

yeah if any of your minis can see the target and they are in range then you can shoot with those minis but the defenders would sutomatically get heavy cover as the leader has no line of sight to see them.

Actually line of sight isnt in issue in the example I give as only 1 mini is out of line of sight, the rest of the minis were in LOS of the leader , only out of range and LOS doesnt need to be in range.

13 hours ago, syrath said:

Actually line of sight isnt in issue in the example I give as only 1 mini is out of line of sight, the rest of the minis were in LOS of the leader , only out of range and LOS doesnt need to be in range.

ah yeah sorry mis read it, you are right.

the situation i was reffering to is when your leader cannot see any members of the defending squad whether due to range or LOS then if you have a mini that has a longer range or has LOS then you can use that mini to shoot but the defender automatically gets heavy cover.

8 hours ago, 5particus said:

ah yeah sorry mis read it, you are right.

the situation i was reffering to is when your leader cannot see any members of the defending squad whether due to range or LOS then if you have a mini that has a longer range or has LOS then you can use that mini to shoot but the defender automatically gets heavy cover.

Range doesn't effect LoS or cover...

Edit: Excepting for Limited Visibility.

Edited by Caimheul1313