Alternate Method for Triggering Morality

By P-47 Thunderbolt, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

I know some of you prefer to dispense with the roll altogether, but leaving that aside, do you have any alternate ways of triggering Morality via a roll?

The book says to see who's is closest to the d100 result, but that isn't really all that great because if the PCs all hover around roughly the same range, the "bookends" will consistently trigger their morality, and sometimes it'll just be whoever has the lowest score if all of the PCs get high on the scale.

One idea I had since it's a percentile, is to just determine what percent of the total morality score each PC possesses, then make a chart comparable to the Duty or Obligation system.

For simplicity's sake, liberal use of rounding makes the calculations simple, though it also means that Morality will not trigger every time. So if you've got a PC with 37, a PC with 52, and a PC with 78, that's 167. Round up to nearest hundred is 200, so PC #1 is 1-19, PC #2 is 20-45, and PC #3 is 46-84. Roll on the chart, and whichever range the result lands in is your result.

The drawback to this is that it heavily advantages PCs with high Morality, which doesn't make a ton of sense.

Another way to do it, I guess, would be to simply give each PC an equal value. So with 3, that's 1-33, 34-66, and 67-99. Then roll and see what comes up.

I have 4 players and just roll a d4...

Just now, SufficientlyAdvancedMoronics said:

I have 4 players and just roll a d4...

Fair point. :D

I guess a d4 or d6 is really all you need for most groups.

d2s, d3s, and d5s are also all easy to achieve with standard polyhedrals.

But if you have 7 people in your group, you're SOL .

Honestly though, for being a big stickler for RAW mortality rules, I don't use the triggering mortality option.

Contriving specific morality scenarios is what I found untenable about the morality system in the first place, so instead I just focus on contriving morally grey situations and let the morality gameplay emerge naturally.

Just now, emsquared said:

But if you have 7 people in your group, you're SOL .

One way to do that would be to drop whoever last triggered from the roll so they don't repeat, meaning all you need is a d6.

Honestly, I can't believe this never occurred to me.

Test : 1d7 1

Just use a D8 and reroll any 8s. Why make this complicated?

My campaign is kinda on hold, but I decided to switch things up by triggering a Morality event when the characters cross certain thresholds (like Light Side Paragon).

You've been here a long time, OP, you know darn well that everyone has a fix for Morality. I've got a complicated one sitting around here somewhere, but it's not great. So I decided to keep it simple, and hew as close to RAW as possible while still addressing the issues a lot of people have.

The issues: Sleepwalking to Paragon, which happens easily if you don't go nuts on Force Powers, and are fairly moral.

Tumbling to the Dark Side: can also happen if you're reckless and use a lot of dark Force Pips. Yes, recklessness should be a path toward the Dark Side, but I don't think it should push you over on its own.

Those are the usual complaints, but honestly, I haven't had much of a problem with them. My biggest issue is that Morality switches happen outside of the episode, when Morality gets rolled.

So, I've renamed Morality to Serenity, and characters will never become Paragons or Dark Siders just from the roll at the end of the session. However, if they cross a threshold (the numbers of which may need some adjustment), they will be tested by the Force. How they manage that test will determine if they become a Light Side Paragon, fall to the Dark Side, or wiggle back towards the center.

so when they cross that threshold you plan something for the next session? And how does that effect the other players?