Predictions for Writ of the Wild?

By Daeglan, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Roleplaying Game

So what do we think will be in Writ of the wild?

Dragon Clan clearly

Dragonfly has been stated

They said wild places. So I am thinking Shinomen Forest.. maybe Naga?
Monestaries?

What else do you guys think?

Hoping for Naga and lots of kihō!

49 minutes ago, FelixFenix said:

Considering we didn’t have nezumi on Shadowlands, I am noy holding my breath for Naga. But yes, we need new kihō SOOOOOO MUCH

18 minutes ago, Diogo Salazar said:

Considering we didn’t have nezumi on Shadowlands, I am noy holding my breath for Naga. But yes, we need new kihō SOOOOOO MUCH

We do have Nezumi in Shadowlands. I wasnt saying playable.

Yeah, the book will probably involve new Kiho.

Shinomen was mentioned strongly in EE, I doubt there's much to double down there, I expect maybe the fringes of Rokugan around the borders, so the plains and mountains along it's edges, and perhaps some more detail about the Spine of the World and other high up places where people rarely go.

52 minutes ago, UnitOmega said:

Yeah, the book will probably involve new Kiho.

Shinomen was mentioned strongly in EE, I doubt there's much to double down there, I expect maybe the fringes of Rokugan around the borders, so the plains and mountains along it's edges, and perhaps some more detail about the Spine of the World and other high up places where people rarely go.

but how much was it covered? I mean if they are specifically covering the wilds wouldnt it make sense to cover things in a little more depth than a couple pages? seems to me like a good place to cover the naga since they are one of the things in the wilds in the Shinomen. I mean there isnt a lot of wilds in the rest of Rokugon. there are some forests in Phoenix lands. But really Shinomen seems to be about it...Would be odd not to cover it in a bit more detail dont you think?

Schools-wise...

Something scouty for the Unicorn, is my guess. Maybe a Shinjo school?

For Dragon, I would't be surprised if we get Yamabushi, aka priests who do battle with spell weapons, mountian sages or the like.

I wonder if Dragonfy will still keep their niche of being gatekeepers of the Dragon, and what kind of school they'll have.

I mean, I got most of what I need out of it. It's spooky, it has some landmarks. If they did cover naga, which I won't say without a real marketing blurb for sure, it would make sense to talk about their turf in there, but they've already done the ol' "couple of pages in a half a chapter" treatment. I would prefer to see areas not really covered at all before we double back. I don't have CR yet, so I dunno if Isawa Mori/Kuroi Mori is handled yet, but there are some mountains and big open countryside left in Rokugan to poke. Wilderness is more than just "all the spooky haunted woods in Rokugan, which is all of them".

13 minutes ago, Horvagab said:

I wonder if Dragonfly will still keep their niche of being gatekeepers of the Dragon, and what kind of school they'll have.

They're definitely still that already, to the point where they're the majority of the "Dragon Clan District" in City of the Rich Frog, for instance. Historically they're a shugenja family, aren't they? Could see 1-2 schools.

The Dragonfly Clan's LCG card is a Bushi called "Insightful Gatekeeper", so I could imagine a Courtier/Bushi school called Tonbo Gatekeeper and there really ought to be a Shugenja school. I called mine a Diviner, because of their history with being intrigued by divination.

10 hours ago, Daeglan said:

We do have Nezumi in Shadowlands. I wasnt saying playable.

Yeah, at least we got NPC sheets.

17 hours ago, FelixFenix said:

Naga are mentioned in Path of Waves as one of the Ivory Kingdoms. Personally, even as a LONG term Naga fan, I like that presentation better than the one they had in the original canon. I hope they keep to it.

13 minutes ago, sndwurks said:

Naga are mentioned in Path of Waves as one of the Ivory Kingdoms. Personally, even as a LONG term Naga fan, I like that presentation better than the one they had in the original canon. I hope they keep to it.

So would the Ivory Kingdoms and Rokugani be part of the same empire that got seperated when Fu Leng smashed through the Nezumi capital?

The Ivory Kingdom and Rokugani Naga, you mean?

40 minutes ago, Diogo Salazar said:

The Ivory Kingdom and Rokugani Naga, you mean?

yes Ivory kingdom Naga and the Rokugani Naga

Edited by Daeglan

The Naga are a major faction in the Ivory Kingdoms, and are generally well-known to people there, who interact with them quite a bit. In Rokugan, the Naga are virtually nonexistent. Given the fact that the Naga were around before the Kami fell, then it's probably a reasonable assumption, yeah, that the bits and pieces of Naga civilization remaining in Rokugan were probably isolated from greater Naga society when Fu Leng came crashing down. Do we know that for sure? Well, the Naga probably do, but I don't think it's objectively established anywhere exactly what did transpire. Like I said, though, I think it's probably a reasonable assumption about what happened.

11 hours ago, DGLaderoute said:

The Naga are a major faction in the Ivory Kingdoms, and are generally well-known to people there, who interact with them quite a bit. In Rokugan, the Naga are virtually nonexistent. Given the fact that the Naga were around before the Kami fell, then it's probably a reasonable assumption, yeah, that the bits and pieces of Naga civilization remaining in Rokugan were probably isolated from greater Naga society when Fu Leng came crashing down. Do we know that for sure? Well, the Naga probably do, but I don't think it's objectively established anywhere exactly what did transpire. Like I said, though, I think it's probably a reasonable assumption about what happened.

Maybe we could get the Unicorn to ask them....oh wait the Crab pissed them off...

I will like to see a Justicar school or title 🤞

2 hours ago, FelixFenix said:

I will like to see a Justicar school or title 🤞

is that a Kitsuki school?

Yep

It's not a prediction, but I can only hope families with only one school get a second school in either upcoming sourcebook, but also I am afeard that if we are staying on theme of some of these books, we're likely to see 3rd schools.

Oh, and I should call my shot - I predict Dragon Tattoos as a standalone mechanic, similar to Item Patterns, Signature Schools and Bonds - spend XP get stuff. The Togashi Tattooed school is neat, but it doesn't really capture how the current fluff treats the tattoos.

So the New Courtgames Podcast says they will cover the Shinomen Forest

In this interview Sam also said they were planning "unique" character options, so I am wondering if we're going to see more Nonhuman options akin to the Kitsune Impersonator... I'm definitely also beginning to think we're going to cover more Naga stuff in general.

17 minutes ago, UnitOmega said:

In this interview Sam also said they were planning "unique" character options, so I am wondering if we're going to see more Nonhuman options akin to the Kitsune Impersonator... I'm definitely also beginning to think we're going to cover more Naga stuff in general.

Maybe Nezumi as well...Both would be wild land options...

On 9/11/2020 at 11:38 PM, UnitOmega said:

I would not be surprised if we saw a Tengu Swordmaster school, but I would doubt we are going to see something as big as a Naga school. Naga are very distinct from humans, similar to the Nezumi in that regard, and while a "shapeshifter spirit" pretending to be a mortal works (Tengu Swordmaster, Kitsune Impersonator) within the current system, something like a Naga or Nezumi would probably need a rework similar to Path of Waves .

I think Naga and Nezumi need their own Path of Waves like supplement, remember the dragon book is only 3 chapters (I suspect).