Does anyone know where to find the rules for radiation?

By Lord Dust, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

Making Radiation weapons/Armor/Talents/Powers and I need reference material.

Thank you.

there are rules for radiation under environmental effects

I found rules for Fire, acid and corrosive atmosphere, but that not helpful in weaponizing Radiation.

I would probably put a Breach on them unless the target has lead armor or something else that can block.

So, I've been thinking about this on and off since I saw this posed, and having consulted page 219 of the Core Rulebook I don't think there's anything that caters to this properly in the game system so far. So to answer the immediate question in the title of this post, I'm pretty sure there are no rules for this.

However, if you were to invent a rule for this I'd recommend considering the following:

1. Radiation damage takes a long time to manifest, and a long time to heal. Only insanely high levels of radiation cause immediate damage like you would immediately see from the burn quality of a weapon, and it would also probably be enough radiation to make sure that death was a certainty (even if not immediate).
  2. You can be exposed to radiation and not know it for a while. There may be some telltale signs that indicate there is radiation in the area, but without knowing those signs before you see them, you would have no hope of identifying them.
  3. Use of radiation to kill people would probably be considered a war crime in the Star Wars galaxy - given the way disruptors are regarded - so any weapon that intentionally uses radiation should be SUPER illegal and restricted.

With these in mind, I'd propose the following new weapon quality:

Radiation (Active)
Weapons inflict Radiation damage over time. If the attack hits, the attacker can trigger Radiation by spending three Advantage. The target suffers a critical hit once per day for a number of days equal to 4 times the weapons Radiation rating. Critical hits are applied at the beginning of each day.

and also this new Modification option.

Unstable Tibanna Chamber
The weapon is modified to use unstable Tibanna gas which results in radioactive energy blasts being produced by the weapon. the use of unstable Tibanna is outlawed across the galaxy and is considered a warcrime, as such the use of weapons that have been modified this way is highly restricted. Unstable Tibanna has a limited half life and is difficult to acquire, so players should be cautions about applying this modification to any energy weapon.
Models Include: None
Base Modifiers: Grants the weapon the Radiation quality, and adds the Item Quality (Limited Ammo 15)
Modification Options: 1 Item Quality (Limited Ammo +5) mods
Hard Points required: 2
Price: (R)940

and finally, this consumable:

Unstable Tibanna Gas Round
Contains Tibanna gas that is radioactively unstable. Can only be used with a weapon that has the Radiation item quality.
Cost: (R)50
Rarity: 7

Let me know what you guys think.

Edited by SufficientlyAdvancedMoronics

Genesys has radiation rules in the Expanded Player's Guide. Every time a character is exposed to a source of radiation or spends a day in an irradiated environment, they make a hard Resilience check, which can be modified based on various factors. If they fail, they suffer 1 level of radiation, and lower their wound and strain threshold by their levels of radiation; if they drop to 0, they die. There is also accompanying gear and an adversary that has irradiated attacks.

On the other hand, the Star Wars universe should have very cheap and common medicines that should completely negate the danger of any but the most extreme radiation. If using radiation as a weapon was viable, the Empire would already be doing it.

Edited by micheldebruyn
8 hours ago, Swordbreaker said:

Genesys has radiation rules in the Expanded Player's Guide. Every time a character is exposed to a source of radiation or spends a day in an irradiated environment, they make a hard Resilience check, which can be modified based on various factors. If they fail, they suffer 1 level of radiation, and lower their wound and strain threshold by their levels of radiation; if they drop to 0, they die. There is also accompanying gear and an adversary that has irradiated attacks.

Thank you.

14 hours ago, SufficientlyAdvancedMoronics said:

So, I've been thinking about this on and off since I saw this posed, and having consulted page 219 of the Core Rulebook I don't think there's anything that caters to this properly in the game system so far. So to answer the immediate question in the title of this post, I'm pretty sure there are no rules for this.

However, if you were to invent a rule for this I'd recommend considering the following:

1. Radiation damage takes a long time to manifest, and a long time to heal. Only insanely high levels of radiation cause immediate damage like you would immediately see from the burn quality of a weapon, and it would also probably be enough radiation to make sure that death was a certainty (even if not immediate).
  2. You can be exposed to radiation and not know it for a while. There may be some telltale signs that indicate there is radiation in the area, but without knowing those signs before you see them, you would have no hope of identifying them.
  3. Use of radiation to kill people would probably be considered a war crime in the Star Wars galaxy - given the way disruptors are regarded - so any weapon that intentionally uses radiation should be SUPER illegal and restricted.

With these in mind, I'd propose the following new weapon quality:

and also this new Modification option.

and finally, this consumable:

Let me know what you guys think.

Not quite what I was looking for, but really cool. Do you mind if I use this?

8 hours ago, micheldebruyn said:

On the other hand, the Star Wars universe should have very cheap and common medicines that should completely negate the danger of any but the most extreme radiation. If using radiation as a weapon was viable, the Empire would already be doing it.

There are forces using radiation in Star Wars. Battle Front II(2005) the Separatist have Radiation grenades on the Magna Guards. Then there are the times planets got nuked.
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/RD-4_grenade_launcher
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Nuclear_bomb

War Crimes, War Crimes everywhere.

1 hour ago, Lord Dust said:

Do you mind if I use this?

Of course. You're welcome to use it as you see fit.

Thank you.

As an interesting side note (not really related to the OP question), the Imperial Officer "code cylinders" were originally conceived as radiation dosimeters. That's quite cool, I think; who'd a thunk it?

23 hours ago, angelman2 said:

As an interesting side note (not really related to the OP question), the Imperial Officer "code cylinders" were originally conceived as radiation dosimeters. That's quite cool, I think; who'd a thunk it?

they actually used Dosimeters

The only official rules I can think of is the reactor leak encounter in Perlemian Haul in the Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook. While those rules work nicely for that adventure, they may not be what you’re looking for. Being in the area of the reactor leak/coolant causes 1 wound per round. Direct contact is a hard (ppp) Resilience or 5 strain adjusted by threats and advantages (1 strain each).