GM Phil's Fallout Theme

By DarthGM, in Genesys

Christmas has arrived early! Many, many thanks!

I'm ready to play this now. I NEED to play this now.

Really great!

Hey, thanks, Phil! I've been working on a Savage Worlds Fallout thing for a little bit, but we haven't actually started the game yet. Doing it with Genesys was also an option. I'm going to check out your work in depth. :)

Well done DarthGM, I read over this earlier today and I'm very happy with what I see, it looks like a blast. I'm glad I told my friend (who was on the verge of a fallout conversion for a while now) about this a told him to wait. I look forward to getting radiation poisoning. Never thought I would say that.

Unrelated, but is the adventure FFG put up with the character sheet the gencon module?

3 hours ago, DarthGM said:

As promised.

As foretold.

Here you go, folks. Hope you enjoy it.

:)

Fallout Theme for Genesys (via the D20 Radio Blog)

Thank you very much, dear sir! :)

Now Mr. Hooly just has to publish his already recorded first episode! :D

Edited by DarthDude

Maybe I missed it, but where does it state how the "Rad" quality on armor affect how one receives Radiation Points?

It's really cool, and I would definitely run it if my group was interested in it.

1 hour ago, Big Head Zach said:

Maybe I missed it, but where does it state how the "Rad" quality on armor affect how one receives Radiation Points?

Blue Sidebar in the weapon description section

Fantasy. Epic. Rad.

I'm excited for this.

//opens Phil's Fallout setting

//ctrl-F "Sulik" - no hits

//ctrl-F ".223 pistol" - no hits

//single tear

(I'm actually kidding @DarthGM, amazing work)

14 hours ago, DarthGM said:

Blue Sidebar in the weapon description section

Ah, thanks!

So in a Hazmat Suit (or even the crappiest Raider Power Armor), you're getting Rad Resistance of 8 (since all power armors by default have Rad Resist equal to their Soak). Lead-lining your mundane armor as an attachment grants Rad 4 (or Rad +2).

Of the weapons shown, only the Gamma Gun (4) and the Fat Man tacnuke have the Rad quality (5), so the radiation from those weapons is entirely negated once you have those armors. Of course, if you take a Fat Man to the face, your worry is the 25 explosive damage (+15 Blast), not the rads.

Overall, the increased background radiation in most areas you'd visit seems completely manageable if you have any kind of Rad protection, or if your Resilience is decent. You'd want to stay away from abandoned cars with intact fusion reactors in case the GM wants to decide a stray shot breaches containment (which I assume qualifies as a Hard Rad check, 3-5).

The Glowing Sea, on the other hand, would be a Formidable amount that even someone in armor might still get debilitated from.

The real bummer of radiation effects is that there's very few options for cleaning yourself of Rad Points once you've got them.

Edited by Big Head Zach

Nicely done and smooth to read.

In my lifetime I only played about 5h Fallout, tops.

So I'll let a FO crack check it.

That was "semi-working" on his own system, or cracking something else for FO.

But this should suffice as a neat subtitude.

Just a bit sad we won't use FO's SPECIAL characteristics with GNS.

Either way, he might get us some FO PnP with this.

Thanks.

3 hours ago, Big Head Zach said:

Ah, thanks!

So in a Hazmat Suit (or even the crappiest Raider Power Armor), you're getting Rad Resistance of 8 (since all power armors by default have Rad Resist equal to their Soak). Lead-lining your mundane armor as an attachment grants Rad 4 (or Rad +2).

Of the weapons shown, only the Gamma Gun (4) and the Fat Man tacnuke have the Rad quality (5), so the radiation from those weapons is entirely negated once you have those armors. Of course, if you take a Fat Man to the face, your worry is the 25 explosive damage (+15 Blast), not the rads.

Overall, the increased background radiation in most areas you'd visit seems completely manageable if you have any kind of Rad protection, or if your Resilience is decent. You'd want to stay away from abandoned cars with intact fusion reactors in case the GM wants to decide a stray shot breaches containment (which I assume qualifies as a Hard Rad check, 3-5).

The Glowing Sea, on the other hand, would be a Formidable amount that even someone in armor might still get debilitated from.

The real bummer of radiation effects is that there's very few options for cleaning yourself of Rad Points once you've got them.

This is correct, but the balance is that if you're taking Radiation protection, you're giving up something else. Like if you take the radiation suit, you're getting zero bonus to your Soak. Rarity also comes into play, which is why those weapons and armors have a high rarity. If the GM is running them right, maybe one or two people will be as protected in the party, and SOMEONE will be vulnerable.

You did bring up a good point, tho; I forgot to include a way to have Medicine remove Radiation, since that's a thing in the game. Right now, it's just copious amounts of Rad Away.

Very nice work! I'm inordinately pleased you threw the Laser Musket into the equipment, btw. It's one of my favorite weapons from the series. I've got to make some a list of pitches for my group's next campaign. I think Genesys Fallout might just have to go on that list!

On 12/1/2017 at 10:46 AM, Hugh Salamando Filth said:

Just a bit sad we won't use FO's SPECIAL characteristics with GNS.

Y'know, Genesys could probably be hacked pretty well to make a more in depth Fallout conversion if one wanted. More so than many game systems. You could make SPECIAL the Characteristics, use the skill list from the Fallout games (with some holdovers from Genesys RAW to cover some tabletop considerations possibly), and create or rename Talents to fall in line with FO Perks. You'd have to tweak a few things, like deciding how Thresholds would be calculated, and figuring out what you'd do with Luck (link it to Story Points and Critical Injuries somehow, I'd say). As long as Characteristics and Skills interact the way they do in the RAW, the mechanic should stay more or less intact no matter what you label them. Could be a pretty great hack!

1 hour ago, Hecks said:

Y'know, Genesys could probably be hacked pretty well to make a more in depth Fallout conversion if one wanted. More so than many game systems. You could make SPECIAL the Characteristics, use the skill list from the Fallout games (with some holdovers from Genesys RAW to cover some tabletop considerations possibly), and create or rename Talents to fall in line with FO Perks. You'd have to tweak a few things, like deciding how Thresholds would be calculated, and figuring out what you'd do with Luck (link it to Story Points and Critical Injuries somehow, I'd say). As long as Characteristics and Skills interact the way they do in the RAW, the mechanic should stay more or less intact no matter what you label them. Could be a pretty great hack!

I'd thought about doing some of that, but decided that I wanted something closer to Genesys than the Fallout game engine. Something more in-line with the Themes in the core rulebook rather than a much larger re-work of the system to mirror the Fallout game. But you are correct, a hack like that could probably work pretty well.

And let me know if you're able to get a game going! I'd love to hear about it.

To anyone interested in playing this theme, I left out one critical detail with radiation; how to heal it without RadAway. I meant to have a Medicine check be able to heal Radiation too. For now, it's an Average Medicine check and each Success heals one point of Radiation. In a future update I might refine it further, and require some sort of "Radiation Purge Kit" to be able to make the check, but for now let's simply go with that.

1 minute ago, DarthGM said:

I'd thought about doing some of that, but decided that I wanted something closer to Genesys than the Fallout game engine. Something more in-line with the Themes in the core rulebook rather than a much larger re-work of the system to mirror the Fallout game. But you are correct, a hack like that could probably work pretty well.

And let me know if you're able to get a game going! I'd love to hear about it.

Yeah, it's not something I'd be interested in right off the bat when trying to better learn a new (or new version of a) system. I think the doc you provided here is really all you need, and your work is excellent. But it would make for a nice system stress test later down the road.

If the group goes for some Genesys Fallout, I'll certainly post about it here. We record our sessions anyway, so I'd have some AP audio to go along with the posts.

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 3:38 AM, DarthGM said:

You did bring up a good point, tho; I forgot to include a way to have Medicine remove Radiation, since that's a thing in the game. Right now, it's just copious amounts of Rad Away.

What we really of course need is a good, old fashioned Vault City innoculation .

Just hope nobody homebrews bridgekeeper robes. Power armour with 1 encumbrance and no rad resistance... :o

I don't know if it's been updated but this document has no page numbers on it.

42 minutes ago, Stacie_GmrGrl said:

I don't know if it's been updated but this document has no page numbers on it.

*blinks*

...I didn't think to put in page numbers.

*facepalm*

I'll create a new copy and have D20 Radio update the file. Should be up within the next day or so.

Edited by DarthGM
27 minutes ago, DarthGM said:

*blinks*

...I didn't think to put in page numbers.

*facepalm*

I'll create a new copy and have D20 Radio update the file. Should be up within the next day or so.

I blame d20 Radio's editor, Tibor. No page numbers, deleting your text about medicine removing radiation...

Image result for simpsons tibor

awesome! Thanks for the work. My son and I have been talking about running a Fallout game.

Darth GM,

FINALLY got my hands on the Genesys Core and wanted to look at the work done on this theme (both as a benchmark for what kind of work I might need to put in on my own themes and as the backbone for a potential convention one-shot). Sadly, though, when I click on the link I get a "file not found" message from your hosting site. Help me Darth GM, you are my only hope to get this!

Edited by Darth_Graz