Some questions after two sessions

By Slink90, in Rules Questions

Hello again! I hope you are doing well! I come again with some questions we had in our table after two sessions. I hope you can help me again :)

First of all, kiho again... Can you activate a kiho while having a weapon in your hand, even with one weapon in each hand?

Second, is there any difference in rules between attacking with a bow at "close" range (range 2) or "long" range (range 5 with a yumi) , and with the hawk's precision you can hit an enemy at range 6 only paying one opportunity?

Thank you all in advance :)

Yes. Be aware that some kihō won't work with those weapons unless you're a Taoist Blade, but you can do it.

No difference, necessarily. But the GM is justified in adding a narrative penalty for firing at long range.

Yes, that's what that kata is for :)

18 hours ago, Slink90 said:

Second, is there any difference in rules between attacking with a bow at "close" range (range 2) or "long" range (range 5 with a yumi) , and with the hawk's precision you can hit an enemy at range 6 only paying one opportunity?

No, as said above. Obviously you still need line of sight to the target, which may be less easy at that range.

18 hours ago, Slink90 said:

and with the hawk's precision you can hit an enemy at range 6 only paying one opportunity?

Yes. Note that you can declare a target for any action that is currently out of range of that action, if you have a credible way to get past that problem as a result of the check.

Spending two opportunities in water stance would let you move a range band, for example, which would achieve the same effect even if you don't have the Kata (obviously you've moved forward and are in range of a potential return shot, so it's not completely equivalent), or let you perform a melee strike against someone who started just out of reach.

That's why water stance and a polearm is a nasty combination for a skirmisher, giving you superior speed and reach, especially with Iron Forest Style to keep people at arm's length.

4 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

That's why water stance and a polearm is a nasty combination for a skirmisher, giving you superior speed and reach, especially with Iron Forest Style to keep people at arm's length.

It could be in duels as well if you decide to ignore the rules that anyone can hit anywhere in duels. Plus, it might make Predict more relevant as now you will try to predict Water to prevent the duelist with the polearm of kiting you.