Clarifying Mag-Pulse effect

By Spinland, in X-Wing Rules Questions

Because the text of the weapon:

If this attack hits, the defender suffers 1 Critical Hit damage and gains 1 deplete and 1 jam token. Then cancel all Hit / Critical Hit results.

And the definition of "suffers" damage in the rules reference states:

If an effect instructs a player to deal a damage card to a ship, this is different from the ship suffering damage. The card is dealt to the ship regardless of whether the ship has any <shield icon> (active shields).

My take is that if the defender still has shields the only effect (besides the two tokens) is losing one shield, not an automatic crit. Does that compute?

14 minutes ago, Spinland said:

Because the text of the weapon:

And the definition of "suffers" damage in the rules reference states:

My take is that if the defender still has shields the only effect (besides the two tokens) is losing one shield, not an automatic crit. Does that compute?

You are correct, its suffering not being dealt, so it’d hit shields first

Thanks! Still climbing that learning curve!

REFERENCE! :D

swz62_mag-pulse-warheads.png

For more reference, here is an example of not suffering damage, but specifically dealing a damage card. (it will say it specifically like this)

Seyn_Marana_Pilot_Card.png

(in case the image breaks again)
https://xwing-miniatures-second-edition.fandom.com/wiki/Seyn_Marana

Edited by Lyianx
1 hour ago, Lyianx said:

300?cb=20180716203132

Link is borked.

8 hours ago, 5050Saint said:

Link is borked.

Weird.. it wasnt when i posted it. It seems the wiki is trying to block even these forums from linking directly to them.

7 hours ago, Lyianx said:

Weird.. it wasnt when i posted it. It seems the wiki is trying to block even these forums from linking directly to them.

It might be a restriction being applied by the host; I saw that Fandom has been making lots of "upgrade" changes recently.