How to integrate the card game and the Rpg?

By Ivanaikos_Magno, in Houserules

Hello,

I have recently buyed the L5R 5th edition book because I am a huge fan of the card game. I really want to make a campaing where the NPCs will be the cards of the game (I hope that will make the CCG more alive) and I wanna know if someome have some houserules to integrate the two games.

Thank you for your attention.

Well - yes and no. Many of the characters from the card game do appear in existing adventures as NPCs, and if you run your campaign timeline 'parallel' to the fiction you know where all the characters are and what they're doing 'off-screen'.

There's a roster of official NPCs here:

I'm not sure what proportion are named individuals from the CCG. I know Miya Satoshi, Shosuro Hametsu, Kakita Ryoku, and Agasha Sumiko all have stats, and there are probably a lot more I'm forgetting. Certainly if you look back at books for prior editions you can find NPC descriptions for most characters.

Beyond that - I'm not sure what you're picturing when you say "integrate the two games"? I guess you could play a CCG game and use the results to describe what's happening in the background, or at a higher level, and then play an RPG sessions where the PCs are lower level samurai stuck at ground level in the various military and political conflicts from the CCG game?

Huh, I should actually put whether characters have NPC stats in the RPG on the Imperial Census. I'll try doing that tonight and then be able to tell you how many are in both.

Okay, it's not big list, and strangely grouped in families:

Imperial - Miya Satoshi, Seppun Ishikawa

Crab - Hida Etsuji, Hida Kotoe, Hida Tomontsu

Crane - Kakita Ryoku

Dragon - Agasha Sumiko, Kitsuki Kagi

Phoenix - Asako Maezawa, Asako Takahiro

Scorpion - Shosuro Hametsu, Shosuro Hyobu

hmmm...

More surprised that we don't have some of the RPG characters in the CCG - given that, for example, we've had the former crane castellan of Toshi Ranbo named since Emerld Empire, you'd think that would be a name the CCG creators might pick up on.