2 Missile Countdowns

By --JP, in Red November

Does anyone else have 2 Missile Countdown Event Cards? What do you do if the event chit is in play when you draw the 2nd card?

--JP

Two of your Timed Destruction tokens have the "Asphyxiated!" symbol on one side and "Missile Launched!" on the other side. That makes it possible to have two tokens in play at the same time. For me the interesting question is whether I will be able to remove both of them with one Stop Missile Launch action if I have not passed any of the tokens on the Time Track when my attempt is being made.

Yes, one fix removes both timed missile launches. This means that there's no real difference between placing the second one and not placing it.

bruno faidutti said:

Yes, one fix removes both timed missile launches. This means that there's no real difference between placing the second one and not placing it.

That makes perfectly sense since performing the Fix Oxygen Pumps action or the Fix Engine action both reset the associated track and removes the token. Thanks for the clarification!

bruno faidutti said:

Yes, there is. In the one game we played, we had a timed missle come up. Our Orange player had a deactivation code, however, and enough time that when it reached his turn he would be sure of getting it. However, he was one of the farthest forward on the time track.

On another player's turn, they did their stuff, but one of the events they passed was the second missle activation. However, this one was placed 3 or 4 minutes before the other one. Suddenly, we did not have a sure thing of getting the missiles down, but only about a 60% chance.

We ended up ruling that we could only have one timed missle destruction at one time, but I guess that isn't correct.

But it certainly can make a difference placing the second.

Well, based on what the designer said just a few posts up on this very page, I assumed that he meant that you place the second one as normal. I guess I was wrong. happy.gif

Joram said:

Well, based on what the designer said just a few posts up on this very page, I assumed that he meant that you place the second one as normal. I guess I was wrong. happy.gif

He said you place it but for all practical purposes, it does nothing.

• If you fix it in time for the first one, then the 2nd one is fixed.
  • If you don't fix it in time for the first one, the game is over anyway.
  • Theoretically, A gnome could go past the first event and fix the 2nd one but that just brings you back to the first two points and you gnome just wasted time fixing something that didn't matter.

So you can ignore the second card if the first event is still on the board.

That is not correct. If there are two identical timed event tokens in play, a player decides which of the events he is attempting to resolve before rolling the die. See the forum entry entitled "Comprehensive FAQ project". I have provided official responses to questions such as these. See, specifically, question 8.