Quickdraw and Inertial Dampeners

By Ravenhull, in X-Wing Rules Questions

Okay, with Terex on the horizon, what if you put Inertial Dampeners on Quckdraw? Does 'spending' a shield token trigger Quickdraw's bonus attack?

300?cb=20181204185530 419?cb=20180817173930

no, spend and lose are not the same (See page 7 RR):

All charges obey the following rules:

• When an effect instructs a ship to recover a charge, an inactive charge on that ship (ship or upgrade card) is flipped to its active side. A card cannot recover a charge if all of its charges are on their active side.

When an effect instructs a ship to lose a charge , a charge assigned to the relevant card is flipped to the inactive side.

When a ship spends a charge , that charge is flipped to its inactive side. A ship cannot spend a charge for an effect if all of its charges that are available for that effect are already inactive.

• Each card with a charge limit (the number) starts the game with a number of charges equal to the charge limit. Each charge starts on its active side.

• Charges associated with charge limits that have the recurring charge symbol are called recurring charges. Alternatively, charges associated with charge limits that do not have the recurring charge symbol are called non-recurring charges.

QD can spend the shield for an attack.

In new RR:

When a ship spends a charge, that charge is lost. A ship cannot spend a charge for an effect if all of its charges that are available for that effect are already inactive.

On 8/27/2020 at 8:21 AM, Whisper10 said:

no, spend and lose are not the same (See page 7 RR):

All charges obey the following rules:

• When an effect instructs a ship to recover a charge, an inactive charge on that ship (ship or upgrade card) is flipped to its active side. A card cannot recover a charge if all of its charges are on their active side.

When an effect instructs a ship to lose a charge , a charge assigned to the relevant card is flipped to the inactive side.

When a ship spends a charge , that charge is flipped to its inactive side. A ship cannot spend a charge for an effect if all of its charges that are available for that effect are already inactive.

• Each card with a charge limit (the number) starts the game with a number of charges equal to the charge limit. Each charge starts on its active side.

• Charges associated with charge limits that have the recurring charge symbol are called recurring charges. Alternatively, charges associated with charge limits that do not have the recurring charge symbol are called non-recurring charges.

Nothing in this entire passage indicates that “spending” and “losing” a charge are mutually exclusive.

There are lots of ways to “lose” a charge; “spending” it is one of them. Quickdraw can definitely attack after using Inertial Dampeners.

With the latest Rules Reference, it's totally clear that it works.

Before then? A lot more ambiguous, and it could have gone either way. I'd probably have answered like @Whisper10 --probably many others would too--which is likely why the thread got dropped after a single answer back when it was new.

I dunno, doesn’t seem the least bit ambiguous. Plain English should always be the default order of the day, and “spending” something means you “lose” that thing in pretty much any context I can think of.

Not to be unnecessarily quarrelsome, @theBitterFig . I’m typically right with your rulings. Just, this one seemed pretty slam-dunk to me, even before the recent clarification.

Edited by Cpt ObVus

With new RR, Quickdraw and inertial dampeners work together. Before this... I still think no, but it doesn´´´´'t matter anymore.

Seems kinda crappy to me that it works, but, such is written. Then again, you'd be building your list specifically to make that work for limited use. Thats a fair bit of points to spend for maybe 2 (likely only 1) extra attack that you can somewhat control the timing on.