Different Pilot Token sizes problem?

By Schanez, in X-Wing Rules Questions

I have purchased the Hotshots and Aces a while ago and noticed a few discrepancies in the Pilot Tokens. As an example I am attaching the difference between U-Wing Cassian (smaller) and K-2S0 (bigger) Pilot Tokens. I have noticed Leia Organa being slightly smaller than Han Solo and Lando Calrissian. The Decimator is seeing a similar issue as the U-Wing. I cannot check the other pilots, as I only have the Rebels and Empire still. But how would the situation look like on a tournament? The ships clearly have slightly different arcs, than when piloted by anyone else. Those are also official FFG materials, so I cannot imagine anyone raising concerns about it.

Cassian K-2S0.jpg

Yes, same here. I also noticed some in my Resistance and FO Conversion Kits were too big. Had to actually Exacto Knife Rey.

Conversion kit medium base tokens seemed small to me. It's most noticable when compared to Saw's U-Wing tokens.

2 hours ago, JBFancourt said:

Yes, same here. I also noticed some in my Resistance and FO Conversion Kits were too big. Had to actually Exacto Knife Rey.

Well the problem is, if you cut them to size, the lines of the arc will not go fully to the corners of the Pilot Token,which severely reduces the arc of the ship.

The bases are still legal for tournament use, as they are official FFG product. Thanks to normal human error, the difference in the arcs won't matter most of the time, anyway.

Seconding @DR4CO Since these are the official product base pieces it's is required that they be used. It seems this batch was generally imperfect since mine and everyone I know has similar issues with size/alignment being off. It's unfortunate they slipped by quality control, but that's how it is sometimes.

You could ask for a replacement, but there's no guarantee the replacement carboard would be perfect either.

4 hours ago, nitrobenz said:

Seconding @DR4CO Since these are the official product base pieces it's is required that they be used.

And ironically, modifying the shape of those pieces (by trimming them down) technically makes them illegal for official play (tournaments). From a technical standpoint, an unmodified piece that is miscut (either in your favor or otherwise) is legal to use in official play, while a modified one (even modified to adhere to standard sizing) is not. If an opponent challenges it, and a judge rules in their favor, you could technically face negative repercussions for using it.

Point is, if you modify the bases, I'd clear it with your local TO before running any official events, and ask if they want you to sub it out for something else (mismatched pilot names and everything)

On 8/27/2020 at 11:20 AM, Schanez said:

Well the problem is, if you cut them to size, the lines of the arc will not go fully to the corners of the Pilot Token,which severely reduces the arc of the ship.

Where do you get that? The degree of the arcs should be exactly the same, no matter how short or long they are from the center of the base.

As long as, when you put both bases next to each other (lining them up by the center hole) the arcs all match up, it should be fine.

Edited by Lyianx
13 hours ago, Lyianx said:

Where do you get that? The degree of the arcs should be exactly the same, no matter how short or long they are from the center of the base.

As long as, when you put both bases next to each other (lining them up by the center hole) the arcs all match up, it should be fine.

They are already centered. So if I cut away the front, the arc lines will not be at the corners.

On 8/29/2020 at 6:19 AM, Schanez said:

They are already centered. So if I cut away the front, the arc lines will not be at the corners.

But the lines should extend to the corners if you use a straight edge.. Do they not?

14 minutes ago, Lyianx said:

But the lines should extend to the corners if you use a straight edge.. Do they not?

Only if you also cut both sides by the same amount.

9 hours ago, Spinland said:

Only if you also cut both sides by the same amount.

I'm really not understanding what you mean. The lines originate from the center of the ship base. No matter how small or large the base is, the lines should have the exact same arc.

AXsnJ4N.jpg

Here is a medium on top of a Large base. Effectively, the medium base is a 'cut down' version of the large. It has the same arc lines, so it shouldn't matter how much cut short the base is, the size and angle of the arc should not change so long as you have some kind of line to measure from. You could cut 30% off the left side and as long as the line are still there, the arc should be the same. The only difference is the base itself wouldn't be able to be held straight in the plastic because it can no longer grip it properly. The only exception to this, is the Huge ship bases have slightly different arcs to the standard ships.

That said, there maybe millimeters of manufacture tolerance differences, but that cant be helped. More or less, the arcs are all the same size, no matter the ship base.

If this isnt what you are referring to, please clarify.

7 hours ago, Lyianx said:

If this isnt what you are referring to, please clarify.

The symmetry you refer to only continues if you trim the same amount off of all of the sides of the base token, not just the front. To use your example above, here's the original token, and then the same token with just a little shaved off the front. Note that in the second case the lines no longer align with the corners. If I had shaved the same amount off of all four sides, not just the front, then the lines would still be aligned properly, just as in the case of three differently-sized tokens.

base_crop_example01.jpg

base_crop_example02.jpg

Edited by Spinland

@Spinland Thats rather irrelevant. Range is measured from the base of the ship (the plastic base) not from the token itself. So extending even a shave off token should still have it hit the corner of the *Base*. Thus the 'corner' of the ship is the corner of the plastic base, not the corner of the token.

Rules Reference pg 4

Arcs are measured beyond the base of ships. The portion of any object that lies beneath a ship is not in any of those ship’s arcs.

and pg 15.

While measuring range to a ship, range is measured to the closest point of the ship’s base, not its ship token nor the miniature itself.

I guess im not entirly sure why the actual cut size of the ship token matters so long as the arc lines match up where they are suppose to. Where the 'corner' is on the token it self isnt the issue.

Edited by Lyianx

But the lines you use to set the left and right boundaries of the firing arc are the ones printed on the card, If you cut the card as shown in the second image I posted they will no longer be aligned with the corners of the base, and will certainly not be tourney legal.

I think @Spinland issue is actually related to the issue of the center hole is not perfectly centered (which it likely isn't if the edges aren't) but to @Lyianx point: trimming the edges won't change how much the arc is off, it just makes it more obvious when it doesn't land in the corner of the cardboard.

Edited by nitrobenz
moved extra thought to new post
1 minute ago, nitrobenz said:

I think @Spinland issue is actually related to the issue of the center hole is not perfectly centered (which it likely isn't if the edges aren't) but to @Lyianx point: trimming the edges won't change how much the arc is off, it just makes it more obvious when it doesn't land in the corner.

That's a fair point; however, my larger one in this case is that, according to my reading of the tournament rules, the base cardboard is considered "essential" punchout material and it's expressly forbidden to alter the shape of such items in any way, If the base cards are really printed that far out of alignment then I'd say there's a good case to request replacements from FFG.

The only reason to trim the front edge of the cardboard is if it is extending past the front edge of the plastic already. Trimming it back to match the edge of the plastic just reveals how far off it was originally.

Similarly, if you trim one side to fit between the edges of the plastic that just recalls how far off the center hole was from the intended position. That doesn't change where the lines are centered.

Agreed. The angle between the arc lines hasn't changed but, if their point of convergence isn't centered on the peg like it's supposed to be, the firing arc will not be correct. Trimming the card won't fix that.

Edited by Spinland

Correct. If there was a printing error and the lines are not printed correctly on the token, thats a different matter. I'm fairly sure a TO will allow you to sub in another token of the same size if the one that matches the pilot is misprinted.