RPG beginners wants to start a duo game, is it possible ?

By Stoogies, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

4 hours ago, Stoogies said:

And i didn't know the beginner scenario (it didnt say in it at the beginning to read it first before playing, so i discovered it while GMing and i didn't know where to go / what to do.) Well i guess that's how you learn how to GM hahaha.

Just for future reference, part of being the GM is being prepared. What is "prepared"? You'll get a different answer from each GM on that. For pre-written adventures, at a minimum it means reading through the adventure so you know what locations are likely to be visited, which NPCs are likely to be encountered, and what the end goal for the players is likely to be. That last one is tricky sometimes, so in the beginning, don't be afraid to agree beforehand with the players on what their goals are. Your job as the GM is to make the journey to that goal challenging, rewarding, and entertaining. Knowing what's in the pre-written adventure helps a lot with that. As you learn the game and GMing in general, you'll eventually learn to adapt on the fly.

It's worth noting that you'll have to find your own comfort level with preparedness. Some people like to have everything written down with charts and graphs for every conceivable thing the players might want to do. Others are more comfortable with a simple bullet-list of plot points they want to hit for a session, and maybe some improvisation tools in case the players do something unexpected. Only you can know what works for you, and that takes practice.

5 hours ago, Stoogies said:

Do you guys know how i am actually supposed to "create things" around ? I saw there is an expansive corebook but i guess that's not for beginner ? What would you recommend me to do ?

Once you run a couple of beginner games you'll be ready for the core book, it just explains all the rules better and has a lot more detail.

By "create things" maybe you mean your own adventures? If so, that's really more about storytelling. You can set up your game so that it's just a string of encounters (a space fight here, a stormtrooper ambush there, a wild animal, etc), but it's more engaging if the encounters have some meaning and are a measurement of progress towards a goal. The beginner set is a good example. The goal is to get away, but to do that they: need a ship component, have to avoid patrols, fight or deceive their way into the ship, and win the space battle. If you download the PDF, most of the rest is set up in the same way, with encounters progressing towards goals, and goals progressing towards the end game.

At a larger scale, with the PCs living through several adventures, typically there are a couple of ways to handle it. First is a "sandbox", where your players take on missions that seems suitable to their character and their situation, but nothing really happens from one mission to the next that results in larger-scale consequences.

Second is a story arc or campaign, where the players engage in a series of interconnected missions that eventually culminates in some important resolution. This can be a lot more involved because it might require the GM to track more NPCs and their motives, and the PC actions can carry more weight in regional or even galactic considerations.

Sometimes the first can grow into the second: the players might start as smugglers doing a few interesting jobs, then find on one of their jobs they've crossed the wrong crime syndicate, and end up in a situation where they have to flee or go to war or find some other resolution. Sometimes the players can trigger this kind of thing themselves; or sometimes the GM will have planned this all along to what appeared to be a semi-aimless fun-fest becomes deadly serious with far-reaching consequences...(guilty here :) )

Sorry, that was probably TMI... :o

No no no, that's just perfect, never too much informations haha. Thank you very much for all of that.

Do you think as a duo i can do many things ? (One GM / One PC)

And btw, may i ask if you can DM me your discord or something ? I don't know if you guys also play on Roll20 or something but i'm looking for some people to play this game with beside me GMing for my gf !

If you intend to buy the core rulebook for EotE, then one thing to keep in mind is that there are some differences between the Beginner Box for each line (EotE, AoR, FaD) and the rest of the game products.

The Beginner Box (and the extra downloadable adventure) is just that: it serves to introduce the player(s) and GM to the game in simple terms, e.g., how to interpret the special narrative dice, make combat and other skill checks, deal with foes, a bit of vehicle-based combat, and how to spend XP.

It does this by using a slightly simplified system. For example, under the main rules the Beginner Box' Knowledge skill is divided into several different Knowledge skills, and Piloting is divided between Planetary and Space. Stimpacks function a bit differently too.

Buying talents (both at character creation and with XP) functions a bit differently in the main game system. The "mini talent trees" in the Beginner Box character folios are actually an amalgamation of each career's available talent trees.

These comments are not meant to discourage you from using the Beginner Box! (I believe that the Beginner Boxes are excellent introductions to the game.)

However, if you both have enjoyed playing the Beginner Box and the extra downloadable adventure, and want to continue with the main EotE game, then I suggest being open to the option of re-building the player character(s) at that point, using the main system. Obviously, this requires that you keep track of how much earned XP was awarded during the Beginner Box games (so the character can be created with the appropriate starting XP and then improved with the earned XP).

Edited by Bellona
Got rid of some accidental strike-out formatting.
1 hour ago, Stoogies said:

And btw, may i ask if you can DM me your discord or something ? I don't know if you guys also play on Roll20 or something but i'm looking for some people to play this game with beside me GMing for my gf !

I don't play online, but the beginner game forum has a few "play-by-post" games you might be able to read through and get some ideas:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/forum/295-star-wars-edge-of-the-empire-beginner-game/

9 hours ago, Stoogies said:

Well so we basically did a game yesterday. It wasnt really really immersive as it sounded hard for her to play two characters, to switch from one to another.

Hi, sorry to hear your first try wasn't so immersive but it'll get better. Whafrog and I mentioned earlier that she might find it easier to have her second character a Droid. Maybe try that and have her take an Astromech Droid that doesn't "talk" or interact much with NPCs, something that she can order around rather than roll play. This will eliminate the need for her to play two fully fleshed out PCs but still give her the extra Skills and some firepower that she might need. In fact you could play the Droid if you wanted to as an NPC by just doing whatever she tells the Droid to do to the best of it's ability. You don't even have to make it a character per se just have it a stock R2 and add a Skill here and there to beef it up if you need to. Plus you can use it as a way to drop a hint or clue here and there when you need to.

Edited by FuriousGreg

Give a listen to the findable Soloshot podcast. This is a game with 1 player and 1 gm live play. It will give you some ideas. Like give the player a droid pc.

I’ve Run many solo games in various systems, including this one. It is a great experience. I’ll echo everyone else and say the most important thing is that any NPCs you control that are part of the group must be 100% side kicks with no drive of their own. Your player should be making all the decisions.

However, you need to run those NPCs mechanically. Think Han and Chewie. Han (your player) pretty much runs the show - “Chewie, take out those stormtroopers”. It is up to you to determine how Chewie does that mechanically on Chewie’s turn. Otherwise, the player has to play both Han and Chewie, which might be fine, until you add in R2 and 3PO. The player can get overwhelmed if they have to mechanically play 4 characters, and their main character, Han, can “get lost” in all those characters. But Han can easily direct Chewie, R2, and 3PO, and the GM can figure out the mechanics. The trick for you as GM is to keep those NPCs as followers without overburdening the player.

Oh and consider to add, if there are just one or two players, and aditional dice to the starting destiny pool.

Good luck with the game and enjoy ;)

This type os games use to be more personal and character focused. My main games are just with one player, and personally I love them!

EDIT: My solo game is a more than 15 years game session XD

Edited by Josep Maria
On 9/1/2020 at 5:28 PM, Josep Maria said:

Oh and consider to add, if there are just one or two players, and aditional dice to the starting destiny pool.

This is a good shout. I'm still new at GMing but in the few Duo games I've held this would have been quite helpful.