Provoke and Strength in Numbers/Field Tactics

By Tvboy, in Imperial Assault Rules Questions

Say I activate a Death Trooper, and I play Provoke to make my opponent activate a specific figure next. Then I use Field Tactics to activate an Officer or something. Does my opponent still have to activate the Provoked figure next? Or does the fact that they couldn't activate yet because I was activating my Officer trigger Provoke's "if able" clause, since they weren't able to activate next due to the Field Tactics ability? Same scenario if the activation chaining was coming from something like Strength in Numbers or Squad Swarm.

Death%20Trooper%20%5BElite%5D.png Provoke.png

After thinking about and discussing it a lot, Provoke (and any other “active next if able”) abilities only affect the current round. The translation would be close to: “If that figure’s group could perform the very next activation this round, it must.”

I would say the activation of a different group from Field Tactics would qualify to cancel Provoke's effect.

You could use Field Tactics first to activate a Trooper or Guardian Group, and use Provoke after you resolve their activation. There's no need to play Provoke with the Death Trooper before you use his Field Tactics if you plan to use Field Tactics anyway. Provoke can be played after the activation of the group which was activated using Field Tactics is resolved, and the part with 'adjacent to one of your Troopers or Guardians' does not require the activated group to have those traits.

Thank you both, @Fourtytwo that is clever but in the example it was Death Trooper specifically into an Officer, and since the Officer can't play Provoke I'm inclined to believe that it's not possible for the Death Trooper to both use Provoke and Field Tactics after the same activation.

This also has implications for Kanan Jarrus Force Vision + Strength in Numbers as well, it would seem that if Kanan Jarrus uses Strength in Numbers to then activate another group, the opponent is then free to activate whatever group they want to after that since they were unable to activate the group chosen by Force Vision next.

7 hours ago, Tvboy said:

Thank you both, @Fourtytwo that is clever but in the example it was Death Trooper specifically into an Officer, and since the Officer can't play Provoke I'm inclined to believe that it's not possible for the Death Trooper to both use Provoke and Field Tactics after the same activation.

Why can't the officer play provoke? Provoke doesn't have any trait or faction-requirements, only that the target figure needs to be adjacent to a Trooper or Guardian of yours. So the requirement is one of placement of the target figure. I guess your officer couldn't play it in a specific situation then, because the target figure wasn't adjacent to a Trooper or Guardian. Just to be clear.

Edited by Fourtytwo
On 8/25/2020 at 8:29 PM, Fourtytwo said:

Why can't the officer play provoke? Provoke doesn't have any trait or faction-requirements, only that the target figure needs to be adjacent to a Trooper or Guardian of yours. So the requirement is one of placement of the target figure. I guess your officer couldn't play it in a specific situation then, because the target figure wasn't adjacent to a Trooper or Guardian. Just to be clear.

Oops you're absolutely right for that scenario